Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Feel Like Maybe I Should Cancel My Surgery?

I just don't know what to do. I'm having SERIOUS issues here!! Maybe I wasn't ready for this....I'm failing my pre-op diet,my surgeon,everything! I keep cheating on my pre-op diet and I only have as of tomorrow,4 days left until surgery! I am a mess! The tears are def falling tonight... My husband,the person who is supposed to be my main support system,is constantly bringing bad foods in the house,chocolate covered EVERYTHING,cake,ice cream,asking me to make the cinnamon rolls that have been sitting in the fridge for a month!! WHY NOW?!?! WHY is he doing this NOW??? I have talked to him about it,argued about it,etc. Finally after he threw a fit about the stupid cinnamon rolls, I cooked them,then told him that I am throwing everything "junk" away! I know at some point even if I got the surgery I will have to control it,but he is just being completely ridiculous and making it very hard for me! He's NEVER like this! He told me not to throw/give away a package of sugar cookie mix-SERIOUSLY....I feel very defeated right now. I am almost certain I have screwed my surgery over now. Should I even go through with them making insicions and trying to do the surgery,when I know I have messed up and I only have 4 days left? I have still been drinking at least 64 ounces of Water a day,but have cheated SO many times. Other than the times I cheat and eat sweets,I have followed the diet...Idk what to do...I hate myself right now. I wanted and needed this more than anything and I can't even do the friggin pre-op diet...

I wouldnt worry too much about the cheating. I have read on here some surgeons dont even require much of a preop diet. Others start the preop a month ahead. Others make you do a laxative 3 days before and clear liquid only after that until surgery. The real problem could be after the surgery and your husband trying to sabotage your recovery.

I totally understand how you feel. I am 10 days from surgery and have cheated every day on my pre op diet as well. I have cut down on my eating alot and drink at least 3 shakes a day and I have one mean but it's not necessary a healthy meal. I figured I'm weaning myself off of the large meals that I use to eat. My doctor only really wanted a 1 week preop diet so I'm glad I started 2 weeks in advance so I could kind of wean myself down to the liquid only phase. My last week I think I will have enough will power to stick to the diet completely. I think these last 4 days you need to really stick to the pre op diet and continue with your planned surgery. You Can Do it!!

AllForMy4, The feelings you're having right now are entirely normal. I think everyone hits that wall and has to figure out how to climb over it. As for hubby, I'm sure he's not sabotaging you deliberately. He probably thinks he's being nice and bringing you all your favorites because you'll "never" be able to have them again. What he doesn't realize is that you will be able to have them, it will just be in smaller amounts. He may not have even thought it out that far, but just be acting on instinct... you know, the old "protect your mate" thing.

Good luck!! If you're really worried, call your surgeon, but it should be okay.

You've definitely hit a wall and it sounds like your husband helped propel you there. Have you asked him what his deal is? Try and stay strong, but if you can't, call your surgeon and move your surgery out a week if it makes you feel comfortable. However, I don't know if your husband will get any better giving him more time to trip you up. Was he supportive before?

I just had my surgery Monday. I know every dr is different but my doc just had me fast the day before and do a cleanse with magnesium citrate (which is awful) but my surgery went beautifully. I feel great only 4 days out other than some gas pains. I paid cash. I kinda feel like a bunch if that **** they make you do is for insurance. But when you just fork over 14000.00 cash its kinda straight forward. Just do your thing girl. Do your very best and worst come to worst fast and flush!

I wouldnt worry too much about the cheating. I have read on here some surgeons dont even require much of a preop diet. Others start the preop a month ahead. Others make you do a laxative 3 days before and clear liquid only after that until surgery. The real problem could be after the surgery and your husband trying to sabotage your recovery.

Thank you. I am trying to talk to him,it's like talking to a brick wall. At the last minute,he doesn't want me doing the surgery?? SO confused right now,this is ridiculous! The only support I have is here! WOW

I totally understand how you feel. I am 10 days from surgery and have cheated every day on my pre op diet as well. I have cut down on my eating alot and drink at least 3 shakes a day and I have one mean but it's not necessary a healthy meal. I figured I'm weaning myself off of the large meals that I use to eat. My doctor only really wanted a 1 week preop diet so I'm glad I started 2 weeks in advance so I could kind of wean myself down to the liquid only phase. My last week I think I will have enough will power to stick to the diet completely. I think these last 4 days you need to really stick to the pre op diet and continue with your planned surgery. You Can Do it!!

Thank you for your support. I have heard ppl tell me it will be fine. I just feel like I have let myself and my surgeon down. Tomorrow is a new,better day.

AllForMy4, The feelings you're having right now are entirely normal. I think everyone hits that wall and has to figure out how to climb over it. As for hubby, I'm sure he's not sabotaging you deliberately. He probably thinks he's being nice and bringing you all your favorites because you'll "never" be able to have them again. What he doesn't realize is that you will be able to have them, it will just be in smaller amounts. He may not have even thought it out that far, but just be acting on instinct... you know, the old "protect your mate" thing.

Good luck!! If you're really worried, call your surgeon, but it should be okay.

Than you Lissa! He doesn't think I need the surgery to lose weight. According to him,If I try hard enough,I can lose it on my own. Don't know if he has completely missed the last 6 years of our lives together that have consisted of me either being pregnant or yo-yo dieting!! :/

You've definitely hit a wall and it sounds like your husband helped propel you there. Have you asked him what his deal is? Try and stay strong, but if you can't, call your surgeon and move your surgery out a week if it makes you feel comfortable. However, I don't know if your husband will get any better giving him more time to trip you up. Was he supportive before?

Thank you for your response. He has always been supportive,but only when he HAS to,like when I'm pregnant or healing from a c-section. When there is no one else to help I guess he has to. As far as supporting me on diets. HA-JOKE

I just had my surgery Monday. I know every dr is different but my doc just had me fast the day before and do a cleanse with magnesium citrate (which is awful) but my surgery went beautifully. I feel great only 4 days out other than some gas pains. I paid cash. I kinda feel like a bunch if that **** they make you do is for insurance. But when you just fork over 14000.00 cash its kinda straight forward. Just do your thing girl. Do your very best and worst come to worst fast and flush!

Congrats on your successful surgery!! =)

My pre-op diet was (this is what I'm supposed to be eating,spread out over a whole day):

4 oz of lean Protein

4 oz of fresh fruits

4 oz of fresh veggies

2 Protein shakes-one with fat free milk,one with Water.

My Vitamins and coq10

I also have to drink the magnesium citrate.

Throw it away. Thats what I did last time I was home. She argued saying I was wasting money. I went through cabinets of stuff and trashed abunch of stuff then took it to a church for the poor. If they love you they will help adapt to your needs. My wife was pissed lol. But she knows now that the rest of the things that I left has to be gone by the time that I get back home feb 14th

You should have cleaned house before hand though. If nothings there then you cant cheat. Its not the end though. Try and do the last 3 days on clears and take an Anema 3 days prior to surgery to cleanse yourself out. Thats simply the best advice your gonna get hands down

(null)

I had my surgery on Jan. 10 and my surgeon did not require a pre op diet. I just had to do Clear liquids the day before drink the Mag Citrate. Up until the one day liquid diet, I had the biggest food funeral you can imagine. Went to all my favorite restaurants, had my favorite dishes during the holidays, Desserts, you name it. I had my consult with my surgeon 6 days before surgery and he asked me to cut back on really fatty foods for the final few days. He told me that it doesn't take long to shrink the liver. My surgery went smoothly with no complications. In fact, he called it "nice and boring".

Now, by all means follow what your doc tells you! I am in no way encouraging anyone to break diets. Just sharing my experience with not being required to do one.

By the way, I'm 11 days post op and down 18 lbs!! WOOO HOOO!!

I had my surgery on Jan. 10 and my surgeon did not require a pre op diet. I just had to do Clear Liquids the day before drink the Mag Citrate. Up until the one day liquid diet, I had the biggest food funeral you can imagine. Went to all my favorite restaurants, had my favorite dishes during the holidays, Desserts, you name it. I had my consult with my surgeon 6 days before surgery and he asked me to cut back on really fatty foods for the final few days. He told me that it doesn't take long to shrink the liver. My surgery went smoothly with no complications. In fact, he called it "nice and boring".

Now, by all means follow what your doc tells you! I am in no way encouraging anyone to break diets. Just sharing my experience with not being required to do one.

By the way, I'm 11 days post op and down 18 lbs!! WOOO HOOO!!

18 lbs in 11 days?!?!? Awesome! I am feeling slightly better that a few ppl cheated and still got to go through with the surgery. It's crunch time now.. My hubs is mad bc I threw out ice cream and Cookies,o well.