Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-band Eating Like Crazy!!!

Hi Everyone, I am going to be banded Aug 31st. Aug 17th I will have to start my two weeks of Optifast. My problem is, ever since I decided to have this done I have become an eating machine, like never before. I can't seem to control myself. :huggie:

Did anyone else go through this? Did you manage to buckle under when the time came for the preop diet?

ARghhhh

Yep I sorta did it...but yes, I did manage to buckle down in time!!!

My hubby and I kept having my "last dinner" out!!! LOL.

I didn't really over eat...we just went out to eat to our fave restaurants a lot!

Don't worry...you'll know when to buckle down at git 'er done!

I started my pre-op diet a month before I had to just in case I could't lose as much as I needed to in 2 weeks (I know my history!). I relied heavily on Protein shakes (3/day) and experimented with the foods I would need to eat after banding. Stocked my "personal pantry" with "my" foods, stayed busy doing all that as well as studying the boards and literature. Make sure you've got some Protein Shakes you love and practice with the various shake recipes. It helps keep you satisfied, keeps you from missing sweets, and keeps your energy level up.

Best wishes!!

Hi Gayle, every morning i say that's what i'm gonna do, and then last til about lunch time! i don't know whats wrong, i'm usually such a 'good' dieter. sigh

neenagh,

I ate so much while i was waiting to see when my surgery date was. then when i found out it was only 2weeks in advance. Then the eating really started. I hate to admit it but i would eat out by myself because i didn't want my husband to know how much i was eating. I ate ate and ate. I felt so bad about it but i couldn't stop. I tried to try to eat a chicken sandwich instead of a hamburger and do little things like that so that i felt it wasn't as bad but i still couldn't stop.

So i wasn't able to buckle down and stop eating until 2 days prior to surgery and i think that was solely because of how nervous i was.

You just need to be strong. You need to do the things you know you need to do to make your self stop.

It's going to help you so much after you get the band to know that you starting controlling your eating habits. The sooner the better.

Its hard for me to give you great advice since i wasn't really able to stop myself but i want you to know that you aren't the only one who did it but you are the only one who can stop it.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Hey Neenagh! I think lots of people go through the "last supper" or "last meal at my favorite restaurant" thing, I know that I did. Just try not to over do it too much! The good news is that its not your "last supper" or "last meal at my favorite restaurant". After a little time, you'll be able to go back to those places that you love and eat most of the things you love! You'll just be taking home lots of doggie bags (which by the way, my doggies are ecstatic about) or you'll get to share meals with family and friends and cut your food costs way down. It's awesome! I know that it seems like forever before you will be able to "eat normally" again, but it goes by quickly and the weight loss that you experience is a good motivator!

I also had to do a two week liquid pre-diet, and well, it sucked. But follow the instructions that your surgeon gave you and you will be satisfied. I lost 12 pounds in two weeks and my liver was in great shape for surgery! Good luck to you!

Thanks so much july5forme, at least i know now that i'm not the only one. And since your liver didn't eplode or anything during surgery :huggie:, I guess i'll be okay too!

I did eat more, however, it was 1 thing in particular and that was Blueberry Cream Ice Cream...I couldn't get enough of it. I also downed I can't count how many Dr. Pepper Diet Cherry-Vanilla pops and Diet Root Beer, simply because I knew it was the end of carbonation for me. I think I made matters worse though, because although I got my fill of the ice cream, I still crave the drinks. I haven't touched them and have discovered lots of lite non-carbonated drinks and something called "Sensations" which make the Water taste fantastic.

I think everyone enjoys the foods they love before banding. You aren't unusual in the least. Best of luck on your banding.

i weighed 265 during my surgery. My liver didn't seem to be an issue. I don't want you to worry about your liver. If the doctor thinks its too big he won't continue. But just to let you know if you are at all worried about surgery eating right does help your liver shrink which does reduce your risk for complications during the actual surgeryl

Hi Dody, my downfall seems to be mcdonalds fries and cheeseburgers(something i don't usually indulge in) go figure. Thank you for your reassurance!

Hi Dody, my downfall seems to be mcdonalds fries and cheeseburgers(something i don't usually indulge in) go figure. Thank you for your reassurance!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

McDooooooonalds fries.....*smacks lips*. I haven't had them since the first week of April....Mmmmmmmm what I would give to just suck on a Micky D's fry right now!!!

Neenagh, that is (was) one of my main drugs of choice....you HAD to remind me, dammit!!!!!

LOL

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

McDooooooonalds fries.....*smacks lips*. I haven't had them since the first week of April....Mmmmmmmm what I would give to just suck on a Micky D's fry right now!!!

Neenagh, that is (was) one of my main drugs of choice....you HAD to remind me, dammit!!!!!

LOL

sorry Yoda! just think about shopping in the states!!!:biggrin1:

Oh my goodness!!! I am RIGHT in the middle of this too! I don't have a surgery date yet or insurance approval!! But as soon as I decided to have this done I have been on a crazy eating fest. I had my pre-op surgeon visit a week ago, my psych evaluation was this afternoon. The dr office said they will be sending out my insurance letter when they get my psych results which should be next week. They said once I get the approval I can set a date....I figured at that time I would buckle down. I think I'm just trying to get this out of my system....knowing I won't be able to swallow McD's french fries and krispy kremes....