Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointed About Weight Loss

I had the gastric sleeve october 2010, I weighed 278 pounds and lost 17 pounds on the pre-op diet. the smallest I have gotten down to is 232 pounds. I will be honest, I haven't eaten very well and do not exercise on a regular basis. For a couple of months after the surgery I couldn't eat very much, 4 to 6 ounces was it. But once I got to feeling better I can eat a whole sandwich and not feel over stuffed. Is it possible to stretch the stomach back out to normal size? I have been at 232 for months, and it seems that no matter how good or bad I eat (or exercise) it just won't come off. I need some advice and help on how to get back on track. I have never been able to drink the Protein Shakes, the feeling on my tounge & taste literaly makes me sick to my stomach.

I had the gastric sleeve october 2010,

Do you mean October 2011? kathy

Getting back to basics would be a start. Protein first, not eating more than 3-4 oz at a time. Using a food tracker such as myfitnesspal on your computer or phone is the easiest way to track your calories, carbs, protein, etc.

Hi Kathy, no had my surgery in October 2010. It has been 14 months since my surgery, 17 pounds I lost pre-op and rest rest within the following 7 months.

I think tracking is key. We all stall now and then, but usually not for many months on end (although weeks on end for me). So you have lost 45 pounds in a year? Thats not terrible, but I'm sure you could tighten your habits up a bit and get back on track. The sleeve helps a lot, but you have the responsibility to watch what you eat, get more active and follow the rules most of the time. Do you have the option of getting a scan of your stomach and see for yourself whats up? Is your Doc near you- what does he say? That must be frustrating for you... come here and hang out, this forum has lots of support for those that reach out...if you post what you are eating and doing, we can take a look and give some ideas?

My Dr told me you cannot stretch your stomach back out.

Are you drinking with your meals? If you are not eating well and don't exercise, it isn't all that suprising you are not losing weight. Get back to basics. Track everything. Protein first, limit your carbs, don't drink half an hour before or after eating and exercise. Do this and you will lose.

As we have all read here, the sleeve is not a magic bullet. You can't just get sleeved and sit back and wait for the weight to fall off. You are going to have to change your habits. If those reading this think I am over critical, perhaps I am, but I am not directing this directly at the OP, but the dozens of others I have seen post the same thing. And to those still pondering the sleeve ... no, you can't get sleeved and kick back with a pint of ice cream and still lost weight. I'm sorry ... it doesn't work that way. You are going to have to make some permanent changes with your relationship with food. The sleeve is a tool to help you do it. It doesn't do it for you.

If you are honest with yourself and your program, you will know what you have to do. It is up to you to do it.

Hi there MrsP - well to answer the question about the sleeve size, no you will never be able to stretch it out to the size it once was. It's not possible. We are left with the portion of the stomach that is much less expandable. I went to a seminar with Dr. Cirangle and he put it like this: the portion of the stomach we are left with will only stretch to the amount a billfold would. So you know how a brand new billfold is tight? Well after years of stuffing it will money, CC's and DL's, etc... it's going to stretch. However, it will have it's limit. See what I mean?

Here's what I think, but it's my opinion only; perhaps you are eating slider foods? You will not feel restriction with slider foods as you would with more dense lean Proteins and veggies. Sometimes its not so much of HOW MUCH we are eating, but rather WHAT we are eating. Could it be that you are consuming fluids too soon after eating as well? This absolutely will flush your food out of your sleeve faster than had you waited a half hour to an hour after.

One last thing, I'm huge on workouts. IMO, it is a necessary part of changing our lives. Imagine if you worked out for even one half hour per day 5-6 days per week. You can probably burn an additional 4-500 calories more per day than if you had not done it. That's almost one extra pound lost per week just for 30 minutes of your day! If you do this properly, it also helps to raise your metabolism. What I do is I will workout first thing in the morning, and drink a 20 oz bottle of Water with it. Immediately after I'll have a Protein shake to get my early Protein going. This always works amazing for me, and trust me when I say, I can tell the difference when I don't do this. Speaking of Water, it is really important to stay well hydrated during weight loss. Not only is it just healthy but it also helps to flush out the fat cells.

HTH and I do wish you well!!!

What is the ideal weight for your height? sleeve will only get you down 50% of ideal. I was sleeved at 235, ideal is 150 difference then 85 pounds. I am starting month number 5 and down 45 pounds having leveled off at 190 about a month ago. This is it for the surgery, the rest of any weight loss (I have 10 pounds to go 180 not 150 is the best weight for me after talking with doctors for my body shape - wide shoulders and my collar and rib bones showing already) will be from exercise and diet.

So having lost 46 pounds may be normal depending on ideal weight for surgery results.

You need to workout - aerobic (walking, running, cycling) and resistance/weight training.

I am thinking you might want to see what your surgeon offers in the way of support. I have been religious about attending all the support groups that my surgeon offers. He offers classes, plateau busting programs, back to basics classes, shopping and dining classes, etc. So I think that might be a good place to start.

Also I have to agree with Diva about exercise. It is an absolute must. No excuses, it is something that I need to do in order to have the kind of body that I want. At first when I started it was like on my "to do list" you know the things that you HAVE to do every day. Laundry, dishes, etc.? Well, now it is my ME time and I'll be darned if I if am going to cheat myself out of something that I'm doing that is good for ME. It is good for me mentally, physically, and in every other aspect of my life.

Lastly, I think you need to work on choices. We have to eat. What we choose to eat can help our weight loss goals. My mantra is just because I CAN eat something doesn't mean I SHOULD eat something. I do question if what I'm about to eat is going to fit into my program (i.e. lean Protein first, everything else after) and I'm not saying that I'm perfect because I definitely eat things that are not on my "plan" but I give it some thought first. You cannot expect your sleeve to STOP you from eating something, that has got to come from you.

Best of luck on your journey. We have a very similar start weight and a very close surgery date (I'm 14 months post-op as well!) I will say this DO NOT GIVE UP. Keep on fighting and working for what you want!!!