Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded and extremely sore all over

I was just banded on Tuesday and feel like I've been run over by a freight train. Has anyone else ever felt like this? Thanks for the input. I'm keeping up on Protein and stitches are sore, but this isn't gas. This is just painful like I can out on the wrong end of a fight.

God Bless,

Dody

Welcome to bandland Dody. While I didn't feel like you describe I can certainly sympathize! Get lots or rest and dring lots of Water. Don't forget to walk walk walk!

Congrats!

I mentioned feeling like I was beaten severely after surgery. All over! It was a one day only feeling and not the day after but two days or so. It went away as fast it came on. I never figured it out...Just so sore then poof all over. Hope you are feeling good soon! Just noticed your age and maybe our age had something to do with that beat up feeling? I am 58!

well hang it there, yes it will pass. I did not think it would but it is working and the new me likes it

Dody, I was lucky enough to be in hospital for 3 days after the surgery, and on IV painkillers for the first 2 days. Even with those, my tummy was quite sore and I was generally uncomfortable. I hate to imagine what life wouldv'e been like without them. The good news is that one week later, I really feel totally human again (despite a bit of port tenderness, and odd trouble with gas and shoulder pain).

Congratulations on your banding, and chin up, it can only get better from now on!

Deana.

I mentioned feeling like I was beaten severely after surgery. All over! It was a one day only feeling and not the day after but two days or so. It went away as fast it came on. I never figured it out...Just so sore then poof all over. Hope you are feeling good soon! Just noticed your age and maybe our age had something to do with that beat up feeling? I am 58!

You are so right. I'm no youngster at 64, and had knee surgery just one week before. I'm glad someone else can relate to this feeling. I just took a hot shower and feel somewhat better. It just helps to know someone else has experienced this feeling also. I'm sure I'm not going to bounce back as fast as the young ones on here, but I have no gas whatsoever and I'm not the least bit hungry, which seems to be the problems most have on here. I can take my pills without crushing them at all, and seem to be able to drink everything just fine, so I guess I'm doing OK. I got a shot in the hospital right before I left (a blood thinner) and that arm hurts like heck and that is when the rest of me started hurting. It is so good to be back at my daughters, and so glad to know I'm not alone in this soreness. I will chalk it up to age related :) and thanks for sharing. I will walk as much as possible.

God Bless,

Dody

I don't know where I would be without this forum and the great support I have found here. I'm so glad I discovered it long before my banding. I had just never encountered anyone saying they felt "beat up" after the surgery. I'm going to chalk this up to age also, as I'm 64 and won't bounce back like you young ones. Aside from the soreness, I feel good. The port area stitches are unconfortable, but bearable. I have the newer style port and it is very small and I can't even palpate it. The dr. says I may never be able to feel it. I had a wonderful surgeon in Dr. Willie Melvin and wonderful staff. I stayed one night in the hospital, but even with meds didn't close my eyes once. I came home exhausted (3 hr. drive home from Nashville) and I bet I didn't move all night...could be part of the problem. I was exhausted. I feel better now knowing some of you have encountered this, and thanks again for all the help and support I have received on here. I'm so glad after a year to finally have been banded. This as been a great source of strength and learning for me and I thank you all.

God Bless,

Dody

I was just banded on Tuesday and feel like I've been run over by a freight train. Has anyone else ever felt like this? Thanks for the input. I'm keeping up on Protein and stitches are sore, but this isn't gas. This is just painful like I can out on the wrong end of a fight.

God Bless,

Dody

I was banded last Saturday on the 15th of July. Each day gets better & better, I promise. I wanted to die the first 2-3 days. I had never had pain like I was having. I ended up having 7 incisions instead of the basic 4 and I am really short waisted so that doesn't help any. If it makes you feel any better my third day out they still had me in the hospital. I am now 6 days post op and feeling better each day.

Even though it is just around the house I've been walking and walking and feeling better. I think I slept much too long last night in just one position which didn't help much. I only stayed one night in the hospital and between those things on my legs pumping up and down and the blood pressure monitor and all the interns I got NO rest, so I made up for it last night. I'm happy to say I'm feeling better...have no gas, and not hungry. I have absolutely no regrets over having this surgery. It is something that because of this forum I was well prepared for. I have had 5-way-bypass surgery and the pain from that can't even compare to this. I was 6 mo. recovering from that excruciating pain. I know my age isn't helping much either, but I'm going to do everything I can to make this work.

Thanks all for all the support.

God Bless,

Dody

Hi, I was just banded on the 17th also and I don't have any pain where the six incisions are, but my left shoulder and chest feel like its pulling down. It's quite uncomfortable. I hope everythings alright, I'm letting my imagination run away with me here, thinking of all kind of scarey things it could be. It feels like my shoulder, neck, and chest muscles are being stretched. I hope it passes soon. I just hope it isn't permanat nerve damage.

the shoulder pain sounds like trapped gas from the surgery. Walk, walk and walk some more. It's great you have no pain from the incisions. I have pain from the port incision most of all, but would do it all over again.

Dody

Rest, get out your heating pad, and rest. Then walk. It will get better, I promise.

takes a little time to heal, but you will feel better in a few days or so.

Dody~

We'll all hang in there and get healthy. I didn't even notice your age and haven't even found it now.....I'm feeling kind of ditzy. I had my surgery in Monterrey, Mexico, and was just not prepared for the language barrier, etc. The care was fine but not being able to tell someone what is wrong, where it hurts, etc, really took a toll on me. I responded to you because in my worst pain all I could do was pray....and I did loudly and crying most of the time! I may have scared the nurse....

peace in God,

Lori

Even though it is just around the house I've been walking and walking and feeling better. I think I slept much too long last night in just one position which didn't help much. I only stayed one night in the hospital and between those things on my legs pumping up and down and the blood pressure monitor and all the interns I got NO rest, so I made up for it last night. I'm happy to say I'm feeling better...have no gas, and not hungry. I have absolutely no regrets over having this surgery. It is something that because of this forum I was well prepared for. I have had 5-way-bypass surgery and the pain from that can't even compare to this. I was 6 mo. recovering from that excruciating pain. I know my age isn't helping much either, but I'm going to do everything I can to make this work.

Thanks all for all the support.

God Bless,

Dody

I was so lucky not to have any big pain, and being 55 I sure do understand the whole "it will take us longer" train of thought.

I got my band on June 20th. I was in the hospital overnite, and was up all night as well. I was in a room by myself, had the tv on all night, and the fan on too. Just as well as often as nurses come in and do things to you.

I had no pain for the month - no real hunger, and was eating soft things my 3rd week - feeling like I'd had nothing done at all.

Then came my first visit with my doctor, yesterday, and my first fill.

I was very unprepared for how that all is. I had a harder night last night than the night I got home from surgery. I am RESTRICTED. Hard to drink anything without burping up - and this after a month of being able to drink my Water, Protein, v-8 - etc, diet Jello, eggs, etc...

Had I not faithfully read the posts, I'd have NEVER known what I was feeling. I was never told anything at the hospital, or by my Doctor, about how this would feel. I had a PB and a sliming last night and was burping and f*arting and moaning.. So today, I had to move and get the air out, it's walk walk walk, and keep sipping. Protein and Water. I'm sure that it will be a few weeks like this before I can start soft stuff again.

So don't let it surprise you - like it did me.

Enjoy your first few weeks without band restriction, keep drinking as much water as you can, walk as much as you can,

and take it easy on yourself, you've been thru A LOT!!!!!!!

God Bless*

I Remember Thinking Omg What Have I Done? I Was So Sore When I Woke Up From Surgeryand Then Had To Get In My Husbands Honda Civic For The 5 Mile Ride Home I Thought I Would Die. Then I Got Home And Stayed In Bed As Much As Possible. I Even Needed Help To Walk To The Br. My Surgery Was On A Friday And I Went Back To Work On Monday With Very Little Soreness. So It Doesn't Usually Last Long! Thank Goodness. But That First Day Was Horrible......