Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello....I am a newbie here!

Hi...My name is Cay and my Dr. scheduled my sleeve gastrectomy today for August 22. I am doing OK, but I am here to gain as much "first hand" knowledge I can about the before, during and after surgery stuff. I live in Morgan City, LA (About an hour outside of New Orleans......yes, Swamp People is taped right in my back yard! LOL!)

My insurance will not pay a penny for bariatric surgery, so I must pay $12,000.00 for this procedure and I have decided to forget about the money and concentrate on how much I will be able to enjoy life when I am done. I am a recent breast cancer survivor, being diagnosed in January 2009.

I received a lumpectomy, port surgery, chemotherapy and radiation and now am gratefully cancer-free so far. It will be two years cancer-free in December. I learned through that journey that whatever time we all have left, we should live it to the fullest! I will pray for all of you to have successful experiences with your surgery. Please pray for me also!

Welcome to the forums and congrats on making the decision. Good luck with your surgery. Keep looking around the site and you will find a lot of information. Feel free to ask any questions.

Caycaye,

Welcome to the forum. There is so much information here that i have been here for months reading and still don't know it all. Good luck to you, your a very strong person already!

Thanks so much. I am sometimes letting fear of the surgery creep in.....No one in my family is obese or had this surgery, and I feel all alone sometimes. No one seems to understand or want to listen when I am scared. I tried to tell my husband that a co-worke r(who really does care about me) gave her unasked-for opinion today. I took a blood test today to check for any stomach bacteria, and then I went to work. She brought the subject up of my surgery which is already scheduled and suggested that I was rushing my decision. When I told her I had thought it out completely, she then said I needed to PRAY, PRAY, PRAY! Of course I am praying. I am scared to death sometimes, but I am scared to death MOST times of staying this obese. She kind of creeped me out by insinuating that I was taking my life into my own hands unecessarily. Why can't people be "positive" or just keep their mouths shut? This is a big deal to me. Of COURSE I have thought it out.

Hi Caycaye - First, let me congratulate you on being a cancer survivor! That's so wonderful.

I'm scheduled to have my VSG on August 22nd too! And, like you, I'm unaware of anyone around me having this surgery (family and friends are all of "normal" weight). I don't feel I can share my decision with anyone other than my fiance because I believe most of those that care about me believe it's just a matter of self control and they would think I'm being rash by doing this. I'm a very determined person so they have seen me lose the weight several times before but it always comes back because I'm so HUNGRY all the time. My portion sizes are crazy. If you ever want to message me, feel free. We can do our count down together and give each other support!

I'll be having my surgery by Dr. Kelly in MX. Where are you having yours done?

Hi Caycaye - First, let me congratulate you on being a cancer survivor! That's so wonderful.

I'm scheduled to have my VSG on August 22nd too! And, like you, I'm unaware of anyone around me having this surgery (family and friends are all of "normal" weight). I don't feel I can share my decision with anyone other than my fiance because I believe most of those that care about me believe it's just a matter of self control and they would think I'm being rash by doing this. I'm a very determined person so they have seen me lose the weight several times before but it always comes back because I'm so HUNGRY all the time. My portion sizes are crazy. If you ever want to message me, feel free. We can do our count down together and give each other support!

I'll be having my surgery by Dr. Kelly in MX. Where are you having yours done?

So glad to hear from you Sara. How much does it cost in Mexico? Why do so many people go there? Is is because you are not super obese like me or is it simply cheaper? A friend on here said the surgery is upwards of $20,000 in California. My insurance wont cover, so I have to pay the $12,000. I am kind of glad though, because I dont have to jump through hoops to qualify with my insurance company. Some of the things people have to go through for MONTHS to schedule their surgery is unbelievable.

Definitely, let's keep in touch. I go tomorrow for my psyche and fitness evaluations, and Thursday I go to the nutritionist to learn about the pre-op diet and after-surgery eating, etc. I am getting excited, but sometimes scared too. How about you?

Cay

So glad to hear from you Sara. How much does it cost in Mexico? Why do so many people go there? Is is because you are not super obese like me or is it simply cheaper? A friend on here said the surgery is upwards of $20,000 in California. My insurance wont cover, so I have to pay the $12,000. I am kind of glad though, because I dont have to jump through hoops to qualify with my insurance company. Some of the things people have to go through for MONTHS to schedule their surgery is unbelievable.

Definitely, let's keep in touch. I go tomorrow for my psyche and fitness evaluations, and Thursday I go to the nutritionist to learn about the pre-op diet and after-surgery eating, etc. I am getting excited, but sometimes scared too. How about you?

Cay

Hi There!

I'm having my surgery in Mexico. VGS there costs anywhere from 4,500$ to 8,000$. You fly into a border town, you are p/u at the airport and then dropped back there afterwards 3 days later. There are many forums here that can give you oodles of info.

I deserve to live the live of my dreams and I'm going for it!!!

Don't give up, if you truly want something I believe the UNIVERSE will conspire for you to have it. Just stay the the course.

xxoo Suzanne aka BEACH BABY

This is the best thing that I have ever done for myself! Don't let anyone talk you out of doing what you know what is best for you! Good luck to you sweetie we are all here for you! :0)

Hi Caycay,

I'm a newbie here too! It is interesting to me certain people's reaction to the WLS decision most are happy for me because I am super happy. I believe its easy for the naysayers to say what may would work for them! But many rounds of losing and regaining more than what was lost shows me that very few can just lose substantial weight and keep it off. Many are worried about sagging skin.. well there are remedies for that too if one seeks them out.

I personally have only told a few select friends about my plans, as I don't think my decision is really any of anyone's business I guess my co workers will just have to wonder. My best friend is afraid for me, I just let her know how excited I am to start my life again and un-trap myself from this prison of fat.

I truly believe it will be a gift, the best one I have ever had.

PS-My family are all skinny people too... my adult daughters are size 0 and size 3 and my younger daughter is also thin.

So here I am in the midst of all these thin people and they can all eat all and everything they want.... Imagine that!!

That said.. have confidence in your decision, to do this for yourself.

Hoping I am approved after the consultation in September! My BMI is high enough so fingers crossed.

Stay strong and share here with others who can relate.

Sleeve Sisters have to stick together..

O

Hi Caycay,

I'm a newbie here too! It is interesting to me certain people's reaction to the WLS decision most are happy for me because I am super happy. I believe its easy for the naysayers to say what may would work for them! But many rounds of losing and regaining more than what was lost shows me that very few can just lose substantial weight and keep it off. Many are worried about sagging skin.. well there are remedies for that too if one seeks them out.

I personally have only told a few select friends about my plans, as I don't think my decision is really any of anyone's business I guess my co workers will just have to wonder. My best friend is afraid for me, I just let her know how excited I am to start my life again and un-trap myself from this prison of fat.

PS-My family are all skinny people too... my adult daughters are size 0 and size 3 and my younger daughter is also thin.

So here I am in the midst of all these thin people and they can all eat all and everything they want.... Imagine that!!

Hoping I am approved after the consultation in September! My BMI is high enough so fingers crossed.

O

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I totally agree with everything you are saying. I FINALLY decided to take care of myself and MY needs for a change. I DO feel like I will be "freeing" myself from the fat after 30 years. It is about DAMN time! LOL!

Cay

o

Hi There!

I'm having my surgery in Mexico. VGS there costs anywhere from 4,500$ to 8,000$. You fly into a border town, you are p/u at the airport and then dropped back there afterwards 3 days later. There are many forums here that can give you oodles of info.

I deserve to live the live of my dreams and I'm going for it!!!

Don't give up, if you truly want something I believe the UNIVERSE will conspire for you to have it. Just stay the the course.

xxoo Suzanne aka BEACH BABY

Thanks so much! Keep in touch. We need to share our journies together.

Cay

Hi Caycay,

O

Thanks so much....your post helps me to have confidence in my decision and force out my worries. Hope you get your surgey scheduled soon. Keep in touch.

Cay

This is the best thing that I have ever done for myself! Don't let anyone talk you out of doing what you know what is best for you! Good luck to you sweetie we are all here for you! :0)

Thanks so much! I will keep in touch.

Cay

Cay

Hi Cay. To answer your question about surgery in Mexico - I believe it's largely because of cost. I can't afford the large payment of doing the surgery in the states and since I've traveled a lot I don't have the fear that some might have with doing surgery outside the country. I have researched like crazy to find a doctor I feel confident in and that led me to Dr. Kelly. I am self-pay (my insurance doesn't allow WLS, and I wouldn't qualify for the insurance plans that do allow it because of my lower BMI and the fact that I don't really have serious health problems at this point due to my weight).

I know I need to do this because I can feel my body starting to suffer with the repeated yo-yo gains and losses and I can tell my emotional state towards food is slipping because I don't have the fight in me to battle with it any more. I find myself wanting to just "give up" and not care what I look like or eat any more because it would mean not being at war with food any longer. The fact that I want to give up scares me because it is the fight that has kept me from getting so much bigger than I already am and I fear who'd I'd become if I don't take action. I was even "coming to peace" with the fact that I wouldn't live a long life and that I'd die early because of my weight issues. That's just sad!

This surgery has given me hope that I can live a long life, stop that battle with hunger and self-doubt, and enjoy life.

Consider me a "sleeve sister" and keep me posted on how you're doing. You seem like a beautiful person with the strength and wisdom to take care of yourself! Hugs!!!