Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All-Stars Preo-op diet thread

I start my pre-op diet on Monday and thought it would be nice for us to have a tread where we can talk about our pre-ops if we have them.

I have to do 4 Protein shakes a day. 64oz Fluid and unlimited non starchy veggies. I can also choose 6 of the following - v8, oatmeal/cream of wheat, low fat yogurt with no fruit, no sugar added applesauce and sugar free pudding. My plan is to make a huge pot of veggie Soup tomorrow to eat as lunch/dinner, also planning salads, sauteed veggies and fresh veggies in a plain greek yogurt dip (hidden valley ranch). I figure the oatmeal and cream of wheat will do me for Breakfast along with a Protein shake when I get up. I love sugar free Popsicles and can see myself eating lots of them! I am worried about doing it for 2 weeks, worried about coming up with different ideas and such, but am thankful my pre-op does have some variety available!!

How about anyone else?

I am envious....mine is just 4 Protein Drinks and 64 oz. of fluids....I would love to "crunch" a veggie or two! LOL! I started on Tuesday and have surgery on August 2nd. Good luck with your surgery!

Me too. I remember having my last solid food and trying to decide what vegetable to have - opted for tomatoes.

I'm on shakes too, 3 or 4, just so I get at least 70 grams of Protein. Skim milk, broth, sf popcicles, sf Jello, water(thank goodness for crystal lite), and Decaf coffee/tea round out the menu. Nothing that needs to be chewed unless you count the ice cubes, lol.

So, just over 1 more week pre-op and then more of the same for the 3 weeks after surgery.

Good luck to everyone with August dates!

My pre-op diet is just two shakes a day and one small meal. Something TOTALLY doable.

I've been on my pre-op diet since 6/15. I can have the following:

Breakfast:

3 Proteins (2 eggs and a meatless sausage)

1 Carb (1/2 c. potatoes or piece of toast)

1 Fat (butter for toast)

1 fruit (1c fruit or one whole piece of fruit)

1 Dairy (3/4 c. yogurt)

Lunch:

3 oz Protein (shrimp, tuna, salmon)

1 c. veggies

1 Fruit

1Carb

1 Fat

Dinner:

3oz protein (salmon, tofu, mahi mahi)

1 c. veggies

1 Carb

1 Fat

1 Dairy

It's an awesome pre-op diet, I'm very fortunate that my program uses it. The pounds drop off, I've lost approx. 25lbs since starting it. Plus, I will only be on Clear Liquids after 6pm the night before surgery. :)

Meme...thanks for starting this post..it is a great idea now that we are headed into August!

My doc only requires a 2 day preop liquid diet. However, I will start using up my leftover Medifast this week to get me into gear. I would take 5 MF meals and one lean & green.

My 2 day preop is which starts next Saturday is...

Day 1...Start clear liquid, low sugar diet. The dollowing liquids can be taken in any amount since they do not contain sugar.

sugar free fruit flavored Water,decaf tea, & Water

broth, sugar free Jell-O & SF Popsicles

low carb Protein drink-1-2 each day

Day 2..

Clear liquids until end of day, same as above

1 10oz bottle of Magnewium Citrate between 1-4pm

Nothing after Midnight

I'm so jealous of those of you who get actual food - or a very short pre-op diet! I'm in the group with just 4 Protein shakes plus broth, SF drinks/popsicles/jello. I got some advice on how to make yummy broths from a co-worker who is a former chef. I was figuring on broth + shakes as each meal to fill myself up as much as possible.

To those of you who have already started severe pre-op diets -- how bad is it? Tolerable? Please let me know if you figure out any tricks to make it easier to handle. I'll start my pre-op on Aug. 10, so still a ways away.

Can you share your broths receipe?

I like to add Torani or DaVinci sf syrups to my Protein shakes. Both brands have quite a few flavors for variety. I've used both powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury vanilla and Jay Rob vanilla whey Protein isolate, rather than unflavored, and haven't had any trouble with either. I find mixing with crushed ice or using ice cubes to really chill the drink helps too; but I don't know if I'll be able to take the icy cold right after my sleeve.

I'm so jealous of those of you who get actual food - or a very short pre-op diet! I'm in the group with just 4 Protein Shakes plus broth, SF drinks/popsicles/jello. I got some advice on how to make yummy broths from a co-worker who is a former chef. I was figuring on broth + shakes as each meal to fill myself up as much as possible.

To those of you who have already started severe pre-op diets -- how bad is it? Tolerable? Please let me know if you figure out any tricks to make it easier to handle. I'll start my pre-op on Aug. 10, so still a ways away.

Can you share your broths receipe?

Open can, heat to boiling, pour into bowl!!!! LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist! broth is my saving grace, in the midst of Protein shakes and SF popsicles, it is nice to have something hot to eat!!!!!

Ruby I looked at some Jay Robb at our Kroger and it confused me - I don't remember how it was worded but whey Protein isolate wasn't the first ingredient so I walked away - I am so afraid of buying the wrong thing!!

Someone on a Facebook group suggested unflavored with crystal light so I think I will be trying that, wouldn't it be nice if it was something I could drink all day?? :D

Open can, heat to boiling, pour into bowl!!!! LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist! broth is my saving grace, in the midst of Protein shakes and SF popsicles, it is nice to have something hot to eat!!!!!

MissBliss...you funny girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow I am going to start out with my medifast shakes/food to get me started for next weekend when I go on all Clear liquids.

I don't have my nutrition class until Thursday 7/28 (surgery is 8/10). I think I'll only have a few days' post-op diet, but I am starting tomorrow on a calorie restricted diet so I can "practice" tracking my Protein, carbs, and calories. I'm also going to start trying to sip rather than gulp, and really concentrate on chewing my food slowly. I'm a fast eater and a drink gulper so I probably need to get myself on track now before surgery.

I start my pre-op diet July 30, which is 10 days before my surgery. I do get to eat solid foods including all of the veggies I want (with some exceptions like corn and potatoes). I did purchase some Protein Shakes to try as well. I am still figuring out exactly what I'm going to eat and how to do that and still cook "regular" food for my family. I'm not looking forward to the cooking for the family part. I hope to get my kids (who are older) to chip in with cooking more. I don't like cooking most days, and I think I will like it even less when I'm not even cooking for me. LOL

oh em gee.. is it weird that I have no pre-op diet??? I only have to take a cleanser the day before surgery and then I stop eating and drinkin at midnight the night before surgery.. Is there a reason why there are the preop diets? does anyone know?:unsure: