Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is coming up Tuesday. I planned to get a mani/pedi Monday so all looks beautiful at the hospital. A friend told me that you are not allowed to wear polish during surgery. My surgeon did not mention this. Was that true for any of you?? Would be seriously pi$$ed if I spent money for the mani/pedi and they took off the polish at the hospital LOL! :huh:

On the written paperwork from the Surgeon's office it stated no nail polish or toe polish. When I asked my Surgeon about it he said toe polish was fine. Some hospitals don't like nail polish because it can interfer with the oxygen meters they put on your fingers during and immediately following surgery. However, he said he didn't have a problem with it. So...you might want to call your Doctor's office and check.

P.S. I had planned to get a pedicure right before surgery, but didn't have a chance. I had one 2 days after I got out of the hospital. All went well and it was very relaxing!

They need to be able to see the nail bed to see if it's turning blue which means a lack of oxygen. Yeah, this is important. I feel for ya, my nails hadn't been bare since Jr. High School and every time I looked at my nails I was like..UGH! I took my nail polish with me to Mexico so I could paint them after surgery. Stupid, I know! LOL

Renee`

Thanks guys! Guess I should cancel that appointment at the salon!

Yep, same here. Had to have my acrylics removed, and bare toenails. Some people consider it "old school", but I just took it as another precaution.

I called the surgeons office and confirmed. No polish! Thats okay. I will have plenty of time being pretty after the surgery so I will not worry about during :huh:

Lol, I understand the stress. I hate having naked nails, but it won't last long. I have to say all the Protein in my diet is making for really strong nails though.

Boo! I had no idea! I guess you learn something new everyday... lol

I have gel nails and hospital said as long as it is pale pink and you can see nail bed, it is fine. I have nothing on my toes just in case!

Yea I French tips on my nails & my toes and my dr said it's fine...might wanna ask if clear to pale pink is ok if you really want to wear polish..

Trust me girl friend, no one there cares what your nails look like, they only see the surgical site through the blue drape. Then they are on to the person! Former surgical tech.

I was told no metallic nail polish, and be sure the right index finger nail is trimmed to 1". It's funny how different each surgeon is!

I had my surgery on Friday and I have gel nails that do not easily come off. I called the hospital and was told as long as you can see through, polish is ok. Specifically, french manicure or just the pink from the french is fine. They only make you take it off if its a darker color and they can't see the little half moon at the base of the nail.

My surgery is coming up Tuesday. I planned to get a mani/pedi Monday so all looks beautiful at the hospital. A friend told me that you are not allowed to wear polish during surgery. My surgeon did not mention this. Was that true for any of you?? Would be seriously pi$ed if I spent money for the mani/pedi and they took off the polish at the hospital LOL! :huh: