Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All I thought I would share my surgeon's recommended supplements to help prevent and slow down the loss:

Protein 80g for women 100g for men

L-lysine fish meat and eggs contain l-lysine

Niotin 2.5mg a day

Zinc 5mg a day zinc chelate

Iron supplement choose one:

320mg of ferrous fumarate

320mg ferrous gluconate

65mg elemental iron

Essential fatty acids choose one of the following:

flaxseed oil 15mg a day

linseed oil capsule 2 g a day

extra virgin olive oil 2 tablespoons a day

Vit B12 350-500 mcg/ a day

Interesting, I wonder if they work. Normally, the Hair loss is from the trauma of surgery and lack of Protein. I wonder how these would help prevent or slow hair loss.

Interesting, I wonder if they work. Normally, the hair loss is from the trauma of surgery and lack of Protein. I wonder how these would help prevent or slow Hair loss.< /p>

I agree about the trauma of surgery being a possible culprit, although I have had many surgeries without any hair loss at all. I think it's the shock of losing so much so fast and taking in so few calories. I don't think the Protein has much to do with it as I lost about half my hair volume once while on the Atkins diet after losing a lot of weight very quickly. And believe you me, I was eating TONS of protein. I was also taking lots of Vitamins (since I wasn't getting many veggies and NO fruit on the diet) and those did not stop the hair loss either.

Sadly, I think it's just gonna come out no matter what we do. And Vitamins, especially Biotin will help it grow back, but won't keep in from falling out.

I wasn't taking any of the flaxseed oils or niotin, so I can't speak on their helping or not.

Yes, I agree, hair loss and it's growth and non-growth phases ( https://secure.wikim...h#Normal_growth ) are just natural, throw in what basically amounts to a near death experience of anesthesia and the trauma of surgery and a drastic dietary change - there is little to anything we can do to avoid it. I think the Vitamins, supplements, shampoos and conditioners are a total waste of money designed for people to lose weight - IN THEIR WALLET, but that's just my two cents.

I realize this may be a more traumatic experience for you gals but it WILL pass.

I have had a septoplasty and Hystarectomy and I have had hair loss after each surgery. I think it has something to do with the anesthesia. Not sure, I just heard that from somewhere.

Yes, I agree, Hair loss and it's growth and non-growth phases ( https://secure.wikim...h#Normal_growth ) are just natural, throw in what basically amounts to a near death experience of anesthesia and the trauma of surgery and a drastic dietary change - there is little to anything we can do to avoid it. I think the Vitamins, supplements, shampoos and conditioners are a total waste of money designed for people to lose weight - IN THEIR WALLET, but that's just my cents.

I realize this may be a more traumatic experience for you gals but it WILL pass.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches