Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am I about to do??

I was reading a brilliant blog on here the other day (I don't remember the author) and she said something like.."I am going to Mexico and having most of my stomach cut out...who does that??" I am having my band to sleeve revision in 10 days and I keep asking myself if I am crazy. I am going to Dr Aceves and of course, have heard nothing but great things about him and his staff. Honestly, I am terrified!!!

I have mine and my hubbie's tix to San Diego purchased, we have the time off work, I have the inlaws coming over to watch my kids. However, I am still in denial. I keep saying to others and myself the word "IF." IF I go to Mexico and do this....IF I actually go through w/this. For some reason I can't quite say "I AM DOING THIS." I seem to always be THAT person that has complications. I have had a DVT (over 2 ft long blood clot) in my leg w/blood clots in my lungs..

I am overall healthy...but am a nurse and feel like I have the dreaded "nurse curse."

I am also still wrestling w/the whole idea of removing most of my stomach. I have been researching the sleeve for over a year now ( I am a band to sleeve revision). I have desparately wanted to revise, but now when it comes down to it..I am a chicken...they tell us that the LapBand is reversible and that was a huge selling point to me. Well, it's removable, I don't know about reversible- it has caused quite a bit of damage :( The sleeve is permanent and I just don't want to make another mistake.

Thank you everyone SO much....I have LOVED reading all your stories and sharing in your struggles.

Much Love,

Erika

Well..I haven't had my surgery yet either, I'm still going through the approval process with insurance but let me tell you. I've done my homework on this surgery and it's VERY scary! but I know this is what is going to be best for me. I'm sorry you are going through LapBand Revision. That stinks to go through all that to just have it removed. I read all the successes the Vertical Sleeve has been for everyone and it just gets me anxious. I just want it here and get it over with so I can start my "new" life!

It is really normal to go back and forth on such a big decision but you said you have been researching this for a year now so you know what you are getting into and what to expect. You wouldn't be human if you weren't scared about this. Maybe write down all the reasons you want to do this. I think you will be ok and go forward. I wish you best of luck! (((hug)))

I was reading a brilliant blog on here the other day (I don't remember the author) and she said something like.."I am going to Mexico and having most of my stomach cut out...who does that??" I am having my band to sleeve revision in 10 days and I keep asking myself if I am crazy. I am going to Dr Aceves and of course, have heard nothing but great things about him and his staff. Honestly, I am terrified!!!

I have mine and my hubbie's tix to San Diego purchased, we have the time off work, I have the inlaws coming over to watch my kids. However, I am still in denial. I keep saying to others and myself the word "IF." IF I go to Mexico and do this....IF I actually go through w/this. For some reason I can't quite say "I AM DOING THIS." I seem to always be THAT person that has complications. I have had a DVT (over 2 ft long blood clot) in my leg w/blood clots in my lungs..

I am overall healthy...but am a nurse and feel like I have the dreaded "nurse curse."

I am also still wrestling w/the whole idea of removing most of my stomach. I have been researching the sleeve for over a year now ( I am a band to sleeve revision). I have desparately wanted to revise, but now when it comes down to it..I am a chicken...they tell us that the LapBand is reversible and that was a huge selling point to me. Well, it's removable, I don't know about reversible- it has caused quite a bit of damage :( The sleeve is permanent and I just don't want to make another mistake.

Thank you everyone SO much....I have LOVED reading all your stories and sharing in your struggles.

Much Love,

Erika

Up until the anesthesiologist put the knockout drops in my IV, I told myself "If you change your mind, you can just leave and go home." Somehow that was very reassuring for me. Thankfully, I recovered very easily and have no regrets at all. Best of luck to you!

I did so much research and read on this board until I was cross-eyed!! I knew it was the right thing for me!

I was never once scared or had a second thought. I never got nervous or anxious either. I posted several times how I thought something was wrong with me because I didn't feel weird about it.

I prayed and prayed that everything would turn out fine and it did! I was sleeved on 5/9 and had not one complication. I did not have any pain (except gas), nausea or vomiting. I was truely blessed.

Pray about it and you too will be fine!

Best of luck to you!

Kelly :D

We all have those thoughts and I'm a physical therapist...so I understand what you are saying from a medical standpoint too. But, the stats say that there is almost no chance of me keeping the weight off without help. I can lose the weight....done it a LOT!!! But keeping it off..ugh. I fail every time. My doc has even had this surgery...and he totally recommends it. Hang in there...these are normal thoughts!!!

Thinking about the LIKELY bad outcomes from my serious co-morbids if I didn't lose weight helped me to worry less about the surgery. It is still scary but the overwhelming majority of us get through it with few problems. Good luck! :D

Thank you everyone...I appreciate your responses. Only 10 days to go!! I am praying constantly and know that God paved the path ahead of me.

I love that there are so many people that are in so many different places and we can all come together and share w/each other.... may we all

be on the loosers bench <3

Hello!

I am also a lap-band revision and I had my procedure done in March with Dr Aceves. It is normal to be afraid and that can manifest itself in a bit of denial. Once I made the decision to go, I purposely blocked it out of my mind as much as I could until it was time to go to MX. This is stressful, no doubt. But, you are seeing the absolute best revision doctor - seriously. Dr Aceves is very experienced and he will not perform a surgery on you that is too risky. If the damage is bad, he won't do the sleeve. You will be in a real hospital with a real trauma center in it - so you can rest assured that there is sufficient equipment / personnel to handle anything. Its almost irritating how often women come in to clean the place (several times a day).

On another note, Mexicali is a very laid back kind of place. It isn't a crazy border town, so you should feel relaxed when you get there. WHen you see the facilities and the doctor, that should help. ALso, they give you some Ativan the night before so you can relax and sleep. You may want to ask your MD here in the States to give you some Ativan to deal with anxiety before you leave - it helps :-)

Good luck!

I like you was really scared, even crying the day before surgery, day of surgery, and on the way to OR. But I can't tell you how elated I was when they woke me up. The first words out of my mouth was "I made it, thank you Jesus!". Every day since surgery I am grateful that I am alive and kicking; it has really been a wake up call for me. I am blessed :)