Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Old habits die hard

Today I acted like a food junkie - not an addict, a freakin' junkie. So, I've been a little down the last few days, and on top of it, I've been craving carbs. Today, I finally gave in and decided to buy some the $.99 bag of Sun chips from the school store. Only, I didn't want to eat the chips because of the calories. So, I chewed them up and then spit them out in a napkin. I did that for 1/2 the bag, then I threw the rest away. I know it's completely gross, but the truth is I feel satied. I'm not full because I didn't swallow it and my chewing and salty/carb craving has passed. The problem is that's a junkie move.

Man I wish there was some ultra rapid detox for food additction!

(((Hugs))) Shanny. Please definitely talk to your therapist about that. Is your therapist equipped for eating disorders? It's so hard, I know!!! :(

... I don't know but I am pretty sure your old habbits would have had you devour that bag of chips and not give it a second thought. I think you did well. Remember you didn't actually eat a thing! I think you are being a bit hard on yourself and I am sure, in time, your cravings for these foods will diminish.. but even if they don't, really whats the harm in what you did??

(Apart from the fact that you wouldn't do it in public! LOL).

Try to Celebrate your small achievements along the way and remember how far you have come. We don't always have to suffer in life to 'be good' :) I think you chose a smart way to tackle your cravings.

I would speak to someone about your eating habits. If I remember correctly, i was watching an eating show, and one woman did this. It was considered an eating disorder. She would binge at night doing this. Try to not make that a habit.

Thanks. I went to my therapist today and we talked about it. I don't plan on doing that again!

I would speak to someone about your eating habits. If I remember correctly, i was watching an eating show, and one woman did this. It was considered an eating disorder. She would binge at night doing this. Try to not make that a habit.

To me, when I deprive myself of a certain thing, whether its carbs, sugar, fats or whatever, it puts me into the mode of wanting it all the more and then one day...BAM, I pig out on it. Thank goodness you didn't, although it wouldn't have been the end of the world if you did. You're just humansmile.gif

I read a study once that said when people go on strict diets, no matter which kind, when given the chance to eat something, like say at a party or wedding, or such, they ate twice as much of whatever it was they shouldn't have than someone who was not on a diet.

I have always been this way. If I was on a lowfat diet, I would get to craving it so bad that one day I would just go to a buffet or something and go crazy. Same with the Atkins diet. I would have a carb-fest after doing so well for months. I think the key is to let yourself have things in moderation, that way you will never feel deprived of any certain thing. Balance is the way to go.smile.gif

I would really like to know what your therapist had to say about this. I know a girl that does this all the time. She does not see it as an eating disorder

at all. She will eat an entire steak doing this.

Today I acted like a food junkie - not an addict, a freakin' junkie. So, I've been a little down the last few days, and on top of it, I've been craving carbs. Today, I finally gave in and decided to buy some the $.99 bag of Sun chips from the school store. Only, I didn't want to eat the chips because of the calories. So, I chewed them up and then spit them out in a napkin. I did that for 1/2 the bag, then I threw the rest away. I know it's completely gross, but the truth is I feel satied. I'm not full because I didn't swallow it and my chewing and salty/carb craving has passed. The problem is that's a junkie move.

Man I wish there was some ultra rapid detox for food additction!

When I have a craving I fulfill it. I find that if not at some point I'll just binge. The big difference is that before surgery I would fulfill my cravings eating a whole bag of doritos, now I have 2 or 3 and I forget about it for a month or 2!

To me, when I deprive myself of a certain thing, whether its carbs, sugar, fats or whatever, it puts me into the mode of wanting it all the more and then one day...BAM, I pig out on it. Thank goodness you didn't, although it wouldn't have been the end of the world if you did. You're just humansmile.gif

I read a study once that said when people go on strict diets, no matter which kind, when given the chance to eat something, like say at a party or wedding, or such, they ate twice as much of whatever it was they shouldn't have than someone who was not on a diet.

I have always been this way. If I was on a lowfat diet, I would get to craving it so bad that one day I would just go to a buffet or something and go crazy. Same with the Atkins diet. I would have a carb-fest after doing so well for months. I think the key is to let yourself have things in moderation, that way you will never feel deprived of any certain thing. Balance is the way to go.smile.gif

This is so true. I read that same study (I'll see if I can find it and post it) and in the end that's why people whe are constantly on diets put on more weight that a "non-dieter" because they end up eating much more calories than they would have if they'd just eaten the "prohibited" food in the first place!

I have to agree with Disney here, I reckon go with your cravings. If you only allow yourself a small taste and sit and eat it slowly and enjoy whatever it is, the craving goes and you don't have to feel ashamed by doing what you did caused by constantly depriving yourself of something. It is an easily fixed eating disorder!! :)

Just as long as you keep it to a small amount or make sure you make up for any indulgences by doing extra on the treadmill etc.. I don't think it is good to constantly deprive yourself and sometimes we crave things we nutritionally lack..NOT that a chip supplies much or any nutrition but pehaps you needed salt? ..Who knows,(probably not the case) but the other poster who mentioned somebody that does the same thing with a piece of steak could possibly be low on Iron?? (or just really want a STEAK! LOL).

Or maybe this way of life is something you would prefer to adopt when you are at the maintenance stage of your weight loss?? Its up to you, but don't be so hard on yourself, you are obviously very motivated and doing the right thing 99% of the time :)

All the best,

Thanks everyone. My therapist said that it's not that big of a deal but I need to cut myself some slack. I can have a snack every now and again. I'm 3 months post op and I think I know what I'm supposed to do and I don't have to be so strict. I've found a substitution for my sweet tooth - that dessert flavored sugar free gum does the trick. But for the salt, I just want Sun chips. The problem is I want to eat ALL the Sunchips. It's better if I don't have any.

But, I made a deal with a woman I work with. If I get a bag of Sunchips, I'll take a few out and give the bag to her to hold for me for the next day. I don't deal well with temptation and usually I end up making myself sick trying to eat things that I can't digest (for example the other day my son had Popeyes chicken. I don't even like Popeyes but I couldn't have any. Well the next day I tried to eat a wing. I got so sick. I can't eat fried/greasy or spicy food. I foamed, threw up and felt like crap for an hour). It's better for me if the temptation isn't there at all. So, I'll give the bag to her and she'll keep it until the next day or whenever I need a fix. Sounds doable to me.

I don't like the fact that I'm now having cravings 3 months out. For the 6 months preop and for the 3 months post op I was really good, no cheating, no acting like a junkie. I guess I'm afraid to undo all the progress I've made. Or maybe it was the depression (I had a horrible week).

Either way, I'm going to try to make sure that I do what I'm supposed to and if I want a snack, a little one won't hurt me!

That is a classic anorexic's trick, I used to do that one all the time. These things can sneak up on you for real, but it sounds like you are well on top of things. Good luck!!

I would watch the whole "giving the bag to coworker" thing. you say you're disappointed to be craving things 3 months postop. They didn't operate on your brain. You can't physically "crave" a chip. It's purely mental. Like any mental craving, you choose to resist it, or to give in to it. I find it helpful to try and work out what I actually am wanting when I have a food "craving" - generally I am avoiding something. I don't mean to sound preachy - god knows, I am greatly struggling with my own food issues... but I do think the sleeve is a chance to correct my issues, rather than just finding ways to manage them.