Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am five days post-op and I don't think I can take the thin liquids much longer. I still have 9 more days of them. I'm doing better with my Water, but everything else just tastes disgusting. Everything has some sort of weird underlying taste that I can't really identify.

Here goes the whining . . .

I'm so freaking tired. I did some laundry today. Just lifting up my arms to fold towels made my muscles weak. I could barely hold them up to curl my hair. I walk a bit and then I have to go lay down.

All I want is something that doesn't taste sickly sweet. But other than chicken broth there is NOTHING on my thin liquids list that is not sweet.

I know what's done is done and I will be so thankful in about another month, but right now I'm grouchy and tired and never want to have a sugar free fruit jello/popsicle again.

Anybody have any suggestions for getting through this period?

B6 & B12 sublingual/chewable/liquids is supposed to help. Outside that, energy will be better the more Proteins you can get in. I am struggling with this as well and I just keep reminding myself that I've just had major surgery so I have to give my body a break and rest as much as I can. Just getting ready for work has me exhausted since surgery 11 days ago.

Try mixing Protein with soy, or Almond Breeze Light, that is not sweet at all. I just discovered Almond Breeze at the store, about $5 a gallon for it, but this has no lactose, no soy, 40 cal per cup, and really a good milk. Only 1 or 2 grams of sugars overall, but has a host of minerals and Vitamins in it. I promise, this one is not sweet!! Since I am due to go to the hosp soon for my VSG, I am also stocking up on Premier Protein, and one by Muscle Milk that mixes with Water, which comes in a gal jar. The Premier I got in chocolate, which I plan to cut in half with Almond Breeze. Some folks say any sugar free flavorings for coffees are good enhancers to these Protein shakes. I would also invest in some flavored mineral waters, but you have to let them flatten before drinking as they have carbonation in them--I like Cascade Ice, and have also tried the Vitamin Waters, too. Today at costco, I found a liquid Vitamin called EcoDrink; it comes in a pack of 30 with orange and berry flavors and has all of the daily Multivitamin requirements in it. I think you might need more vitamin support for your weakness. You have to vary your servings and liquids to try to keep your interest up.

Some thoughts, frozen fruits you make yourself to whiz into vanilla shakes. Use low sugar or no sugar juice to freeze into cubes to whiz into your shakes. Make your glass or tumbler pretty by freezing berry into ice cube trays to add to the shake. Think of other ways to make pretty your otherwise bland liquid meal. If you make thicker shakes to spoon, that would seem more like a meal--not quite so boring.

Congrats on your surgery! Hope I might have given you some suggestions and encourage your recovery to be more pleasant. I look forward to my surgery and recovery very soon, too. RSR53

I am five days post-op and I don't think I can take the thin liquids much longer. I still have 9 more days of them. I'm doing better with my Water, but everything else just tastes disgusting. Everything has some sort of weird underlying taste that I can't really identify.

Here goes the whining . . .

I'm so freaking tired. I did some laundry today. Just lifting up my arms to fold towels made my muscles weak. I could barely hold them up to curl my hair. I walk a bit and then I have to go lay down.

All I want is something that doesn't taste sickly sweet. But other than chicken broth there is NOTHING on my thin liquids list that is not sweet.

I know what's done is done and I will be so thankful in about another month, but right now I'm grouchy and tired and never want to have a sugar free fruit jello/popsicle again.

Anybody have any suggestions for getting through this period?

If you want to go to the next phase of your diet, it would be at your own risk. I'm pretty sure no one on here will advocate doing so since the doctors have their own rhyme/reason for their plan. That being said, I don't understand why these doctors have such vastly different instructions. I've seen some people say that they only had to be on liquids for 1 or 2 nights and then could switch to mushies and solids soon after. For me, I had to be on clears for 7 days, then full liquids (add cottage cheese, cream soups) for the next 7. I'm now on soft foods for 2 weeks and then I'm on my own. I also was super, super tired when I was on the Clear Liquids and I did skip ahead to the soft foods 1 day early and had no problems. Good luck and hang in there!

Don't move onto the next stage...you are soo not ready. Seems like you are overdoing it. Ask for help with the laundry or wear stuff until you are naked. My doctor told me this surgery is like hitting the "control, alt, delete button" on your body and he wasn't kidding. Try to keep yourself busy with reading, watching TV I got sick of the sweet taste too. What I did was I did a day of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup and unsweetened Decaf tea. Believe it or not, the worst days are over and it will get better. I also had beef and vegetable broth too.

You have every right to whine....we all did it!! Keep hydrated and before you know it .... you will be on puree....

Don't move onto the next stage...you are soo not ready. Seems like you are overdoing it. Ask for help with the laundry or wear stuff until you are naked. My doctor told me this surgery is like hitting the "control, alt, delete button" on your body and he wasn't kidding. Try to keep yourself busy with reading, watching TV I got sick of the sweet taste too. What I did was I did a day of unjury chicken Soup and unsweetened Decaf tea. Believe it or not, the worst days are over and it will get better. I also had beef and vegetable broth too.

You have every right to whine....we all did it!! Keep hydrated and before you know it .... you will be on puree....

I also agree that you should never move forward as an exception to the plan you are on but I"m wondering why you believe she is so not ready? From what I've read here, it seems most folks move to thick liquids faster than her schedule. The real diff to me is when and how people move to mushies then to full food. Heck, it actually seems like some people skip mushies all together.

To OP: Call your program and ask if there's anything at all that you can add to your day. Even something as simple as 1 cup of skim milk might help you out. There's no harm in asking. In fact, it will tell them that you are doing your very best to follow the plan to the letter. Heck, I've been on full liquid since the day after I came home from the hospital and I'm beat. I spend a lot of time looking at thing I should be doing and thinking "yep, I'll get to that in just a few minutes." Then I sit some more. I took my dog a walk yesterday and wasn't sure I would get us back home! I think my energy is going to be officially drained just about the day the mushies arrive.

And I agree about the sweets. I was never a sweet person and I think this is just about going to close the door on them.

Thanks for all the replies. My husband and youngest daughter are doing most of the laundry, but I just felt like I needed to get up and move around some. I feel like such a slug. I did let my daughter put the clothes up once I got them folded.

I took a short walk down the street and other than my legs getting tired, I did well. I thought about going out to run an errand, but ended up taking a nap instead. :P

I am so glad I took three full weeks off. There's no way I could go back to work Monday. Right now my scheduled return day is the day after Memorial Day, the same day I start mushies.

Question: does strained Soup count as a thin liquid? I was just thinking if I could strain some vegetable soup or something at least it would add a little flavor and some calories. I may send hubby to the store tomorrow to get some vegetable broth for a little variety

Knorr makes a cilantro bullion hi in sodium, but a pinch or 2 in not going to hurt. I made tortilla Soup with out chips and added spices to veg and beef broths to. I made strained potato soup too. I don't mind the sugar free stuff, but I watered down my SF koolade a bit and decafe tea and coffee. in week 2 I was making decafe coffee drinks too. Ck with your dr, but I was told if I could puree it down and it would go through a straw(important DON'T USE THE STRAW) lol I could drink it. I believe I was doing that week 2. If you can see through it is the rule and I can make anything see through. I also used licorish to just hold in my mouth, but I like that too.

Keep venting till u feel better.

For the full liquids strained Soups are fine. I use the Campbells Soups and strain the bits out. I also use Water to make them instead of the milk it says. Had some cream of potato concentrate, made with Water and strained out the potatoes. I added a little salt and pepper for more flavor. I was able to eat about a little more than half a cup. On the 12th I am graduating to mushies and cant wait to eat some mash potatoes with gravey mmmmmm. :)

Today I went with a girlfriend and got my nails done, By the time I got home I was exhausted and took a nice long nap. Then took another one a couple of hours later. I start back to work on Monday, hopefully I will be able to get through it ok. If not I'll go home early. Wish me luck.

Good Luck, it does get easier!

No laundry! I was a zombie through the first 4 weeks, even after I went back to work. However, getting to mushies and being able to eat cottage cheese is what turned me around. You will be tired for a few weeks, don't try to push yourself. Seriously, you will make it worse by doing too much. The first few weeks is emotional for that reason - it was for me anyway.

It is true, you want to follow your doctor' instruction. You may want to stir in a little cream Soup with warm Water (strained) and see how it treats you. Also, get some liquid yogurt, strain it, and see if you can get a sip of that down. I little more substance will change things around.

Beware, though, the full liquids will make your tummy make all sorts of bubbly noises :-)

Take care, this will pass!!

Lara

Thanks, Rev Me Up! I was planning to go with my daughter this afternoon to get her crown put on. But by the time I showered, dressed, "prettied up" and ate some broth, I was worn out! Good thing she's 20 and can take herself!

I don't plan to rush into moving up to thick liquids, BUT at my check up Thursday, you can sure believe I'm going to ask!!!

I don't know how people go back to work after one or two weeks. I'm SO glad I'm not going back until 5/31.

I'm 8 days post op and just now starting to get a little energy back. It comes and goes. I posted some the same questions when all I wanted to do was sleep. I found Muscle Milk makes this great Protein H20 it has 10 g of Protein and the best part it doesn't have that taste you describe...or I should say it doesn't to me. Got it at GNC. Hang in there it will get better. I also take OptiHealth vitaxtra its a powder that you mix into 2 oz of Water and the Vitamins get into your blood stream much faster than a pill. I have found that since I started taking that (on an empty stomach in the morning) I get a lot more kick in me.

Good luck.

At five days out you should still be taking it very easy. I was in hospital for four days after my surgery (in Australia we are required to have a longer hospital stay). Leave the laundry/chores until you're feeling better. If you want some exercise take a gentle walk. Watch movies, read books - occupy yourself so you're not feeling as bored. Your body has been through a significant trauma.

The liquid/mushy part of the diet is annoying and it feels like it will last forever. Hang in there and follow your surgeon's instructions - it will be worth it in the end. Take a look at the success stories section of this site - it's very motivating.

Take care and good luck!