Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol WithOut Liquid

I'm not saying I'm a drinker, since I'm underage, but this was really interesting. AWOL or Alcohol WithOut liquids.

They came out with a machine where you inhale the alcohol, like oxygen, so you can get the buzz without the extra calories. It goes to the lungs instead of the stomach. I thought for WLS patients who enjoy the buzz but have trouble drinking, this is a like a 'loophole.' I have a couple links. Skip to 3:23 in the video if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

I'm having trouble deciding my thoughts on this. It's the same thing as drinking but it reminds of me drugs too much, I think. What are your thoughts?

http://www.ebasedprevention.org/oewn/awol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sqGgMXIllA

I think if I am going to inhale anything that's been vaporized, I'd much rather inhale vaporized marijuana than alcohol!!!** LOL... I doubt you get the hangover with vaporized alcohol though, which is a perk... I don't really like alcohol much anymore, why get bloated on something that's just going to make you feel like crap the next day? But yes, similar vaporizers are available for illegal drugs...

**I am not advocating weed smoking... Just making comparisons since it was mentioned that it is like drugs ;)

Have heard of this before. Never met anyone that has tried it though. Hmmmmm don't need the extra O2 but could just as easily use a nebulizer. Hmmmm may have to experiment this weekend ;P Guess as long as it's an alcohol without all the sugary mixers it wouldn't hurt. Otherwise I could see the sugars making an easy breeding ground for bacteria in the lungs. Ewwwww. Talk about catching your death of Pneumonia. Jeez. Think I'll wait for further research to come in on the topic. Looks to be a cool novelty though.

http://www.gotvape.com/vaporizer/alcohol-vaporizer.php Well looks like if you're gonna tie on a few and drive yourself home (dumb idea) that this is the way to go. Apparently you get the alcohols effects but the breathalizer tests can't get a reading like if you had drank the liquor. Parents out there- if you have a nebulizer and teens in the house, keep a close eye/ nose out for alcohol use in this manner!

OMG! Reading too much here on the alcohol subject. Sounds like teens- girls AND guys, are using vodka soaked tampons as another way to get a buzz. CRAZY!

Ok recognizing right away this in nothing but a nebulizer ( ae machine for vaporizing liquid medicine) I immediately dug out the old nebulizer and filled it with vodka as the idea of relaxed and buzzed minus calories was very appealing! Well the alcohol did indeed vaporize. Buzz???? Not anywhere near what a shot would do. Worries? I could smell the alcohol, much like rubbing alcohol. Made my lungs ache. Long term damage?

I don't know if it'd work very well, otherwise alcohol wipes would be flying off the shelves! I've never gotten any sort of buzz from using rubbing alcohol, for example.

Ok recognizing right away this in nothing but a nebulizer ( ae machine for vaporizing liquid medicine) I immediately dug out the old nebulizer and filled it with vodka as the idea of relaxed and buzzed minus calories was very appealing! Well the alcohol did indeed vaporize. Buzz???? Not anywhere near what a shot would do. Worries? I could smell the alcohol, much like rubbing alcohol. Made my lungs ache. Long term damage?

Interesting to know that it didn't do much for you.. I figured it smelled horrible lol.. Wonder what would happen if you nebulized a strawberry daiquiri or a pina colada or even coconut flavored rum??? HMMMM LOL j/k.... Oh well.. Thanks for trying it out and letting us know!!!! There are die-hard alcoholics that will drink listerine or in a worst case scenario, rubbing alcohol, when desperate...

Guess others will have to be the guinne pigs for this experiment ;P LOL Did wonder about the amount needed though. When drugs can't be given IV in a code situation, you can give some through the breathing tube, BUT at 4 times the dose to do anything. Figured alcohol would require same 'dose' adjustment. IDK Need to keep every last brain cell I have ;P

Ick, how not fun would that be?? :blink:

Ok guys and gals. I confess. I tried the AWOL last night. Reviews- "EH" Did a some Jose Quervo Gold. Wouldn't recommend the AWOL unless you have the desensatized lungs like that of a smoker. Yes, the liquor is harsh on the lungs at first. After the initial 'break in period', you don't get a typical alcohol buzz. You get a nice relaxed mellow feeling. No hangover noted. Nice and relaxing after you get past the taste, but still not as fun as the effects of drinking the alcohol. Basically, it's a novelty. Like an ice luge, it's cool to have for a party, but soon looses it's appeal. But hey at least I can say I tried it. Won't be doing it anytime soon though.