Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was wondering if anyone could clue me in as to how fast you buy new clothes. Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited to be able to buy them soon, however I'm not independantly wealthy!! I've seen some people on this site say they outgrew their clothes in a matter of weeks - is that really the case? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated (e.g. should I start buying them when I see they are on sale, buy them tighter in hopes of fitting into them, etc...). Thanks.

I buy good bargains in smaller sizes to shoot for my goal [of getting into them]. I keep trying them on until one day they do. Many go to thriftstores from what I've read and why not. Good luck on your journey ~ my weight loss may have turned into a shopping addiction...it's such a great feeling to be able to try clothes on that fit and look good!

It took me nearly 90lbs loss to get out of plus sizes so I didn't skip through sizes very rapidly until I got below 190lbs. Once I got under 190bs, the sizes flew by me, I skipped sizes, and had to do a lot of returns.

I suggest thrift stores for around the house clothing, or consignment stores for nicer items if needed for work.

I thought it would be great to buy a couple of "goal items". Yeah, they got returned because when I "thought" I could squeeze into them, they slid right on and off.

I say go slow, or you'll spend more time at the mall returning clothes you never get to wear.

I was wondering if anyone could clue me in as to how fast you buy new clothes. Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited to be able to buy them soon, however I'm not independantly wealthy!! I've seen some people on this site say they outgrew their clothes in a matter of weeks - is that really the case? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated (e.g. should I start buying them when I see they are on sale, buy them tighter in hopes of fitting into them, etc...). Thanks.

Also ask around if any friends are or know a seamstress. I had three pair of pants tailored at the waste, so I could wear them a bit longer, and that was less expensive than new pants. Also agree with the posts to check out the thrift stores; and the clearance racks at the less expensive department stores - tops for $3-$4! I have been lucky to have some friends going through this ahead of me, and passing stuff to me. Now I am passing on my big stuff to others. I haven't dropped sizaes that fast, but when I do buy something, I try it on, and choose the more snug size knowing in a short while it will be loose.

Right now as I'm going down in sizes, I have been going to Goodwill. I save a bag for them, and I buy more. I tend to try on clothes in my closet all the time so I don't miss out on being able to wear anything. You can really find some good jeans at Goodwill, and even some khaki's or slacks. You do need to have some time on your hands to do it though, there are millions of items of clothes to choose from! You can even find some that still have the tags on them, so you know they've never even been worn by the person who dropped them off.

I recently bought a gamut of sizes from 14's going all the way down to 6's. I may or may not ever get that small, who knows but they were only a couple bucks a piece as I went there during the Presiden'ts day Sale and everything in the store was half off.

For me I went through the larger sizes super fast. I literally went from a 22/24 - 2X to a 16/18 XL in about 6 Weeks. It has slowed down a lot since then but I think the main reason is the difference in sizing when you get into smaller clothes. Right now I can fit into anything from 12's even up to still some 16's depending on the make. I can pretty much fit all M tops though now. It's amazing as I look at those tiny shirts and can't even imagine I fit them... yet I do. :) It's nice!!

Good luck!!

Personally, I found that 1 size = appx. 10 lbs loss for me. I was about size 18 at my highest weight of 208, and now I'm a size 6 at 140. So depending on how much weight you are planning to lose, it means you'll need new clothes every 3-6 weeks. I'd stay away from buying tailored things, like slacks - these stop fitting properly within 2-3 lbs and are a pain to tailor. I've bought many dresses, especially those that are roomy or have belts that allow the waist to be cinched in, and skirts - they are quite easy to take down a few sizes. For pants, I stuck to stretchy jeans, and Ebay or Winners (kinda like Marshalls or TJMaxx) for dressier pants if I needed them.

I haven't been sleeved yet, but when I lost 80 pnds, I sold all my clothes on Ebay and then bought more. One great place is Old Navy. They have plus size and you can find super great deals in their clearance section. I bought jeans there for $5 on many occasions.

Good Luck!

I love the Goodwill store! You won't believe what you can find there! Two days ago, I bought 2 pr jeans, 3 pr jean shorts - all Levi or Eddie Bauer and then 6 different shirts and I spent $25!!! Plus it's a great place to drop off all the clothes you will grow out of.

I was fortunate to know someone who had a bypass three months before me so I got a lot of hand me downs along the way but I supplemented them with the salvation army, and sales/clearance racks (burlington coat factory was a good one for me) I've come down from size 66 pants to size 40 so I had to buy clothes in all those sizes I would have a huge credit card bill.

I wore things lose for as long as possible and bought stuff in smaller sizes knowing I would eventually get there.

My surgeon's office has a clothing swap every so often. You might check with yours to see if they do that, and if not, if someone there can start one.

I've been up and down in weight so many times that I own a wide variety of sizes currently. Post-op, I started throwing away clothes that are too big for me now (yay!) as I feel I'll never need them again. I'm just now starting to get to the point where even my "skinny phase clothes" are becoming baggy and I'll have to shop for new stuff soon.

Right now it's around every month or so. I am finding that I wear something until it is baggy and then try the next size down and wham it fits! :)

The heavier you start, the more weight you'll have to lose (initially) before going down sizes. I started (day of surgery) at 246, and lost probably 30 lbs before my clothes finally got SO baggy that I absolutely couldn't wear them to work any more lol. Then the next couple of sizes were about 15 lbs apart, and now it takes me about 10 lbs. in between sizes.

I started at a 20 (really was a tight 20/should have been 22 at my highest of 258) and and now solidly in size 10 at 170 lbs, and an 8 in my lying jeans (Riders). Looking to lose about another 20-25 lbs or so, and the thought that I could be in a size 6 by the time this is over is almost unfathomable.

OH, you also asked about buying clothes tight -- I've bought several pairs of pants that were way too tight to wear when I got them, knowing that I would be into them within a matter of weeks. Many of those are now in the Too Big box. :D As has been mentioned, your best bet is to frequent Goodwill and Salvation Army... spending $3.50 on a pair of pants is much better than spending $20-30 when you're only going to be wearing them for a month or two!