Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dont want the Sleeve

hi I am new here , to this site my Dr. gave it to me yesterday . he wants me to have the sleeve an i want Gastric bypass but he says my BMI is too much an he al;so wants me to lose 100lbs before he does the sleeve , I have already lost from 545 to 503 , but he still wants me to lose 100 more lbs . I'm doing the protine drink , ( NASTY ) but still trying , i want this so bad i want to be able to watch my 2 sons grow up an see my grandkids with out surgery it wont happen I will eat my self to death so i could really use some postive feedback about the sleeve ,I know you dont lose as much weight as with the bypass . My Dr. also said it coul,d be turned into the bypass later but i really dont want to go threw 2 surgeries . My BMI is 77.5 i think . :huh:

Thanks

Crystal Brayfield

The reason the sleeve is being done as a stand alone process is super heavyweight folk were losing enough with the first part of the DS to not have to do the second part. I would listen to your Doc. The sleeve is safer than RNY gastric bypass....

I'd so not get bypass the long term weight loss stats on it aren't pretty. VSG can be turned into DS later and vsg is a much easier surgery to recover time. Being a bigger person you don't want to be limited in mobility and also the heavier you are the more risky the surgery. VSG is a quick surgery with fairly easy recovery.

There really isn't enough long term (over 3 years) data on how the sleeve compares to the bypass. But there is enough data out there that made the decision to go with the sleeve the right one for me.

You don't have malabsorption issues with the sleeve like you do with the bypass. If you're on any medications, that can be a problem. I have read about many people who are not able to take certain medications and the ones they do take don't last as long as they did before the bypass.

With the shortened intestine of the bypass you will absorb less calories initially but for many people, the body tries to mend itself and grows more cilia to enable itself to absorb the calories. The malabsorption of the Vitamins and minerals is forever. As you age, you are likely to need B12 injections. You also face a lifetime of fighting Iron deficiency.

The sleeve removes 85% of the stretchy part of the stomach and with it most of the glands that produce ghrelin, the "hunger" hormone.

There are less complications with the sleeve than the bypass.

As with any wls surgery, you can out eat your surgery. You may want to seek counseling to help you find out why you overeat and support you while you find healthy ways to overcome those urges.

Good luck.

I think you will be really please with the sleeve! My sister in law had the gastric bypass and was able to stretch out her pouch and gain back a large portion of the weight that she lost. With the sleeve, it is much harder (if not impossible) to stretch out the portion of our stomach that is left. Plus they are not rerouting all of your innards which kind of freaked me out. I've had both lap band people as well as gastric bypass people tell me that they WISHED that they had been offered the sleeve instead.

Do it - believe in it - and have the best weight loss success of your life! I surely am :-) Good luck and stay here on the board. There is a ton of support here :-)

Crystal,

I know you are disappointed, but try to be positive. At least you didn't go to a surgeon that just told you what you wanted to hear. He gave you choices based on his experience and professional opinion. I'd say you have a good doctor there!

A few things I'd like to know ... Why are you so set on the ByPass? What makes you think you won't lose as much weight with VSG?

Regain stats on the ByPass concerned me. Stats on the Band made me say "why bother". For VSG, a lot of the longer-term studies were for much larger stomachs. Yes, many of us took a risk having a surgery without stand-alone stats (meaning DS as part 2) ... but we do have the option of other surgeries, if they are needed.

I am one year out, but I have to say this surgery saved my life. I come from a family of obese people. While I was the "smallest", I was still obese. I lost my dad in 2009 due to complications of his obesity - he was only 64. I am GOING to be around for my children and grandchildren. While maintenance does "scare" me since I've never been able to do it before, this time feels different. I can do this. My sugars, triglycerides, etc are all phenonmenal now. This is my second chance at life and I'm not going to blow it.

Please continue to do your research. Ask any questions you have. We're glad to help out. Best of luck to you!

MINI

Crystal,

Sounds like you have a wise surgeon. I have been on these boards for several years. They are a great support. I revised from a band to the sleeve a little over a year ago. The sleeve is wonderful. It is the first part of the "DS" procedure. Many of the people who have had the sleeve as the first part of the DS procedure have not had to go on and get the rest of the procedure done. Surgeons will do the "sleeve" part so that those who are extremely overweight can loose the weight and become more "physically stable" and in better "condition" to under go the completion of the "more intense" part of the surgery.

Under no circumstance would I recommend the "Bypass". There is another web site called Obesity Help. Within that site is a section for people with BMI's over 50. Just sign in, go to the drop down boxes to "Weight Loss Related" then click on the BMI'sover 50. Another good area to look at on this site is the "revisions" section and also the RNY section. Research both sites and you will see why you have a wise surgeon.

As far as the Protein drinks, well... On this site, Oregon Daisy has posted sites that you can send and get samples. It took many samples to find the one that worked for me. Everyone is different. It is important that you find one you like as they will be your "best friend" during your weight loss journey. I am at goal and still drink one every day. I never had problems with loosing my hair and I'm thinking it was due to Protein Drinks. Also god forbid you get sick after surgery, it is good to have a "go to" Protein Drink to get you through the rough Patches. Just do yourself a favor and buy "sample" sizes until you can find one you like. I spent ALOT of money buying big tubs of the stuff only to find I couldn't gag them down then throwing the big tubs of stuff away. A real waste of money.

Last but not least, please use the forums for support, knowledge gain, and just genuine friendship. We have all been fighting the "battle of the bulge". There are many wise people here who have alot of good info. Read, take notes, and get as much information as you can before you make a decision. Remember, it is your body and you have to do what is right for you. Just make an informed decision.

Best wishes to you and welcome!!

Millie

My question is why bypass? Have you seen the regain stats for the super morbidly obese? Are you willing to trade in a lifetime of nutrient and Vitamin deficiencies for maximum of 2 years of calories malabsorption? What will happen after you start absorbing calories again? Those were all my concerns when I was researching.

At least with the sleeve if you do not get to your goal, you can go DS for malabsorption without the regain stats of RNY. Each surgery has it's pros and cons, but honestly the long term complications with RNY are downright scary.

There are a few members on OH that have lost all their weight with BMIs over 65. I'm talking 200-250lbs withing 16-20 months post-op, and they didn't have to have a second procedure.

I know you are frustrated, but really research the good, bad and ugly of the surgeries. I recommend checking out the struggling, failed and revision forums on obesityhelp.com so you can see for yourself just how many out there struggle with RNY.

Best wishes, and hang in there.

Mix your Protein drink with 6 - 8 oz of Mootopia Skim Milk and I am sure you will be able to tolerate the Protein drinks very nicely. I look forward to my Protein Drinks now. It really does make a difference.

I don't know the answer for you for the surgeries but I do have an answer for the "nasty" Protein drinks. My Dr. office rec. that I mix the Protein Drink with Mootopia skim milk. The Mootopia milk also adds 12 more grams of protein so it is great. It really tastes like a milk shake. I think if you tried the milk you would like the drinks much more.

Hello Fallen Angel, welcome to VST :)

Ultimately I really don't have much advise other than to say - I really think you might do yourself a great service by doing some really deep research on the sleeve. Just based on the comment "I know you dont lose as much weight as with the bypass" I can see that you have found some misinformation somewhere. You CAN ABSOLUTELY lose as much as RNY and you can lose as fast as RNY with the sleeve. I do encourage you to find out more about this surgery.

You will likely have to work harder to achieve those goals, but isn't this really about changing your whole life? What good is having a surgery that makes you dump out all the bad stuff but doesn't make you work toward becoming a healthier person who makes better choices? You WILL gain your weight back with that kind of mentality. Don't get it twisted, anyone can gain their weight back with any of these surgeries if they don't make a change, and a change in the first few month of surgery.

The bottom line is, you have to do what you feel is right for your body. Just don't do it without really giving this surgery a chance to get to know it. Get to know the folks here too, you will see there have been many who have made goal, and beyond and are keeping it off, like Tiffykins who just posted.

All the best to you. Let us know what you decided, I think as for me and many of us we like to keep up with how each other is doing. Regardless you are always welcome to chime in and ask as many questions as you can.

Hugs!!!!!

hi I am new here , to this site my Dr. gave it to me yesterday . he wants me to have the sleeve an i want Gastric bypass but he says my BMI is too much an he al;so wants me to lose 100lbs before he does the sleeve , I have already lost from 545 to 503 , but he still wants me to lose 100 more lbs . I'm doing the protine drink , ( NASTY ) but still trying , i want this so bad i want to be able to watch my 2 sons grow up an see my grandkids with out surgery it wont happen I will eat my self to death so i could really use some postive feedback about the sleeve ,I know you dont lose as much weight as with the bypass . My Dr. also said it coul,d be turned into the bypass later but i really dont want to go threw 2 surgeries . My BMI is 77.5 i think . :huh:

Thanks

Crystal Brayfield

You have a lot of weight to lose no matter which surgery you have. It's going to be difficult along the way regardless of which surgery you have.

Studies are now showing people losing as much with the sleeve as they do with by pass. It's wonderful not to have to worry about Vitamin deficiencies, and Iron infusion. The gastric bypass is not as completely wonderful like people are led to believe.

You can lose all you weight with the sleeve if you follow all the rules, and have less chance of gaining it back.

Well I am a newbie to this site also. But I can tell you why I chose the sleeve verses the gastric bypass. The bypass changes the way you absorb your nutrients & the sleeve doesnot. The bypass you will need to crush your pills and with the sleeve you won't have to the way I understand it. With the bypass your appetite is lessend for about a year but with the sleeve your appetite is lessened and doesn't come back after a year. I don't know if this helps you any but these are some of the reasons why I chose the sleeve vs the bypass.

Also I have dieted for 8 months before I will have my surgery on Feb. 14th, it is my thinking that the more you lose before the surgery the better your outcome will be once you have surgery.

Well good luck with your decision, you will find alot of information by reading these posts. Good Luck to you!

Diane,

I will be praying for you please do not give up hope.:rolleyes:

Soldiersgirl36

Thanks

Crystal Brayfield