Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the HARDEST thing,,,,

To get used to ? after the band was put in, what was the ONE thing that was/is still hard to get past?

Was it smaller portions,

the Im done eating before you thing,

one glass of (insert favorite drink here) and Im drunk,

Learning how to cook SMALL,

That you can now wear your kids cloths,

that gravity has let go of you and now has your pants.

For me it will be cooking smaller portions.

Being an ex-chef I love to cook (at home).

but makeing a HUGE production for a few bites ????? ;) :eek: :):D

our dogs are gonna need the band before long :D

Dogs need band, heehee!

For me it is still that my belly is full but my mouth and head say"WHAT! NOT YET!!!"I find that putting my plate away and telling myself i can eat it later for dinner or lunch the next day helps and just leaving the table and doing something else.I use a small bread plate and fill that up so it looks like alot.

C

i aggree with cooking small.

my bf is a chef and we entertain ALL THE TIME!! cooking then is fine i never realized how much my friends could eat i was always cramming food myself BUT cooking for me and bf i ALWAYS cook to much.

he cooks dinner so i always make my lunch for the next day out of the leftovers.

I think the harderst things for me would be the golfball, and the "my stomachs full but my mouth wants more", going out to lunch around people that don't know that I am banded. I always wonder if they think that I am starving myself. But at the end of the day I wouldn't trade my band for a million bucks....well yeah I would, because I'd have enough money to buy another one!!!!!!

;)

Birdee

For me it's eating slow. I HATE that when I go out to dinner with my husband that he is finished eating so quickly (he's a skinny guy and a fast eater which I never noticed until I got banded). Now, he just sits and watches me eat my 6 bites!

Last time we went to a restaurant, I had only taken a few bites when he was done with his meal and the waiter was handing him the check!!! :mad: Now, I'd rather order the food and bring it home to eat so I don't feel so rushed.

Marsha

The hardest thing for me was/is learning to eat more slowly. I've gotten over worrying about what other people think and whether we're cooking too much (which we do, all the time). What I have trouble with is the physical fact of trying to eat slowly. Time and time again I find myself with that first big bite of something jammed in my mouth when suddenly it hits me---wham! Don't swallow that!! So I find myself working on that first bite for three minutes. :mad:

But that's preferable to the discomfort that results if I do swallow that bite and the next one that inevitably follows. You'd think I'd have learned by now, but it's the one lesson that seems to need repeating, and repeating, and repeating. :(

Ha Ha... it only took me all day to figure out why you had such a pathetic screen name... Wannabe Loser... I get it now! What a dork I am. But my friend's favorite word is Looserish. She teases me all the time, calling me a loser. I hope she soon has real reason to call me Looser since I'm getting a band in a couple weeks. This place makes me laugh.

Hmmmm... I wonder what I will miss? I think it will probably be how often we dine out now.... eating out has really become our social activity and I think it will have to be replaced with something else. My hubby is a slow eater though... so that will make eating with him still a joy. (o: I'm kind of looking foward to being the person that has time to flit about at a BBQ since I won't be so busy cramming my tummy so full that it makes me sick.

Hehehehehe on the Puppies... my little guy has quite a spread as well... he will be the odd man out before too long! (o:

Darcy

UH...what I miss the most...it's not having to feel things.

I don't have my coping mechanism any more.

It used to be that when I was sad, mad, glad, happy, tired, lonely, bored, horny, frustrated, nervous...I ate. Now, I have to feel these things. I miss stuffing them down with a bag of chips or a few bowls of Cereal.

At the same time that I miss it, I would never go back.

Megan

Guest luvmy3boys

Hello ! I've been reading this website for a few days-you're all very supportive to one another. My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday and I'm a little aprehensive. I'm afraid of the side effects I've been reading about on this site-burning esophagus, throwing up, getting food stuck, etc... Is there always something to worry about or is it usually okay? Not sure what to do-Help

Small bites ............I have already mastered eating slower but I HAVE to take smaller bites !! We are going to resturants again and I have no trouble wrapping for the next days lunch & then when I am full throwing the remainder away......I can only manage about 1/3 of a resturant meal at a time ! My husband says I am a much cheaper date now. Both he and my dear friend say that they are going to gain weight now because I am always saying " I'm full, finish this up ! " LOL !! I am 6 weeks out and 25 lbs lighter.............I LOVE MY BAND !!!

Oooohhh... I am going to be soooo careful with that... My sister had the RNY gastric bypass a year and a half ago and in the beginning she would always hand what was left on her plate (almost all of it) when we would go out to eat. I stopped going to eat with her as it was hard to fight the weight with two dinner plates in front of me and then to watch her literally melt as I was inhaling her leftovers was almost heartbreaking. She can eat more now and we can go out to eat as we used to but I am always going to remember how that felt for me.

Congrats on the weight-loss Ihvbzs sounds like you are doing an awesome job with your new tool!

Darcy

Originally posted by luvmy3boys

Hello ! I've been reading this website for a few days-you're all very supportive to one another. My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday and I'm a little aprehensive. I'm afraid of the side effects I've been reading about on this site-burning esophagus, throwing up, getting food stuck, etc... Is there always something to worry about or is it usually okay? Not sure what to do-Help

Hi there!

I think reading about all the things people experience over time can be a little intimidating, because you're seeing them all at once as though they're all happening now and to everyone. But these are mostly tiny things that happen only occasionally to a few people. I have only the very occasional discomfort which is ALWAYS caused by something dumb that I did. I never have any heartburn, reflux, or other pain. The "side effects" that I experience are what is SUPPOSED to happen with the band, the negative reinforcement I need to change the habits that got me over 300 lbs.

I LOVE MY BAND.

I miss Bread!!!!!!!

I really do, I miss eating sandwiches, or at least a piece of french bread with my meal.

I also miss going out to eat. Use to do it with 1st and 2nd adjustments, but, now I don't get any enjoyment out of it because I am worried my food will get stuck and I won't be able to find the nearest rest room.

I do miss social situations that involve food because most of my friends don't know about the band, and the ones that do, watch every bite I take worried I am going to have to go to the emergency room lol

But I do enjoy the weight as it slowly drifts from my body

I miss my Advil. Tylenol doesn't cut it. I also dislike cold food, when it's suppose to be hot. I'd like to find one of those plate warmers they use in the hospitals. I love my band and I have never PB'd, or vomited (except when I had the flu) or had any heart burn or reflux. Just have to remind myself to take smaller bites. gabby