Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery before the Holidays

I have a really big decesion to make I guess. I probably can have surgery before Christmas if I want. I just don't know if I want to..I talked with my docs nurse and she tells me that if you are ready it doesn't matter what time the surgery you will go in full steam. I really really want to have surgery as soon as possible. I just don't know if I can do this so close to Christmas. They said my projected surgery date would be some time in middle of December. I know this is a really big step in the unknown for me so I toss and turn at night trying to make the right decision. I feel like a new year would be a new beginning. I may be forced to have it before the end of the year.. I know there are a lot of of people in this forum that has had this done. Any thoughts or am I just over thinking everything..

I'm having my surgery the day before Thanksgiving. I can puree pumpkin pie, right? (totally kidding!)

I'm actually excited to have mine during the holiday season. Every one else will be gaining and for once, I'll be losing! *hopefully* On my way to " healthy me."

If you think that you won't be able to make it through the holidays, then wait until after Christmas. The post op diet is really important because you will have a staple line that needs to be protected. Eating the wrong foods or not following the post op diet is very dangerous and can cause a leak.

I agree with what oregondaisy said, BUT i would get it done ASAP!! And you'll be losing instead of gaining over christmas, that's a huge kick start for the beginning of the New Year and your new life! Good luck with whatever desicion you make :P

My husband is hopefully having his VSG right before Christmas, but for us it is insurance-related. If he doesn't get approved and scheduled and we roll into 2011, then it will be an additional $5K out of our pocket. We would still do it, it would just cost us more money. (We are on a high-deductible plan.)

If it was me I would do it sooner, rather than wait, but if you are worried about missing all your holiday favorites, or being at parties and eating nothing while everyone else is eating, then maybe you should wait. I would focus on the fact that NEXT Christmas, you will be wearing much smaller clothes and have a dainty little plate of food to nosh on while everyone else is out gaining 10lbs.

I think the question is HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT THE SURGERY? It sounds like you really want it..... so just do it!!!

You can still socialize with friends and family, just not eat all those fattening foods. Which I don't think you will want to anyway. It took me a good month before I wanted to eat and even then I ate because I had to, not becuz it tasted good.

I would do it as soon as possible to start your new life.:D

Good luck with your decision!!!!!

Deb;)

I would focus on the fact that NEXT Christmas, you will be wearing much smaller clothes and have a dainty little plate of food to nosh on while everyone else is out gaining 10lbs.

This is where I am this year!! Love it already, people keep talking about diets and too much Halloween candy and I just sit back and eat my kitkat!!

I had my surgery Dec 24 of 2009, but really with the week long pre-op diet, it stopped eating "normally" Dec 16, 2009. So this was prime Cookies and holiday party time. The pre-op diet was much more difficult than the post op for me.

I had no choice in my date because my insurance was changing Jan 1 and this was the only date the doctor offered. I have to say it was AWFUL to be completely out of commission on Christmas eve and Christmas Day, so I wouldn't suggest those for actual surgery, but it all was fine otherwise. I would say go for it!

"All I want for xmas is VSG!!!" I do not have a date yet but the bariatric nurse said that if I didn't mind doing it during the holidays...I thought WHY WOULD I I've been eating that holiday food my entire life and too much of it so I figured this would be a gift to me, I'll still cook though for the family. Halloween candy was a problem for me this year for sure, I was nibbling on that stuff throughout the day the past years I threw the candy away the next day out of sight out of mind. We are not having family here this year so in a way it works out because I am able to peacefully recover without being bombarded with: "How come you're not eating!!!!!?"biggrin.gif

We choose to not have DHs done around Christmas just because we are traveling but they fit him in at the end of Nov. I have mine done on Monday so I'm on the two week pre-op and we were in Walmart the other day and I saw all the holiday goods out! I was sad because I felt that I wanted them then I made myself stop and THINK about it and the others here are right, I can have a taste of the goodie NEXT year when I'm HEALTHLY and eating the way I should be! I WANT VSG and I want it NOW! LOL Good luck in making your decision!

So I am having surgery on Nov. 17th and while I am so ready to have this done, I think if it was scheduled for Dec. I would have to wait until the New Year.

It has nothing to do with food. It has to do with family traditions.

See, I don't know how I am going to feel after surgery and my kids are out of school for Thanksgiving week so I talked to my mom and she is taking them for fall break and fixing them thanksgiving dinner. Now I can rest and re-coup without having to feel pressure to preform tasks I am not ready for.

But in Dec we have school programs, setting up the tree, decorating the house, christmas shopping, etc. Since I don't know how I long or hard the recovery from surgery will be or if the post op diet will drain my energy for a week or two- I wouldn't want to risk it. My family is very supportive of my decision and they understand that when my life changes- all of our lives change. They are already complaining that I won't stop for a Snacks like I used too. I tell them to get over it but that is snacks.. not christmas/family time!

I think if you are really excited about it, you might be able to set it all up so that you will get through Dec with the surgery just fine. If at all possible start shopping for presents now, maybe set up for Christmas right after Thanksgiving, pretty much just move things up so that you can be sure to take a week off to focus on you after the surgery without guilt.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever date you choose!

Theres always Egg Nog Protein shakes.....dash of cool whip and nutmeg on top.... brandy extract..... I wish I could get mine then, but I am going to New Zealand for Xmas. I had to wait till my DH comes back in January, two weeks after me..... I would miss all the chow... but really, my health is the best gift I could give myself or my family.

I would totally go for it. Why wait?

That's a real question: Why would you wait? So you can eat a bunch of junky holiday food and gain 5 or 10 or more pounds that you'll have to lose after you have your surgery? (And since your weight loss will slow way down at the end, those extra 5-10 holiday pounds could well add a month or two or even more to the time it takes to get to your goal weight after surgery.)

Is there something else you're worried about? I can understand wanting to have a nice Christmas, but honestly I think part of the reason we all got so fat was putting other people's needs (or what we think are their needs -- do they REALLY need us to devote 24/7 in December to doing Christmas stuff?) before our own. Can you scale down your holidays this year and make sure you get the support you need?

I suspect that if you wait until January to have your surgery, you will look back and wish you'd gone ahead in December. And I can almost guarantee that if you go ahead with it at the earliest opportunity, you will have no regrets!!

Wow yall are soo awesome..I feel like I am in really good hands when it comes to the support. I really do appreciate all the comments and the support. I am waiting right now for all the info to be filed with cigna and hopefully I will at least get a date soon... the good new is that Cigna is usually one of the fastest insurance for what I am told to get approval withing a week if all the criteria is met. Any way Thanks a bunch for being here for me and I have a feeling I will get it in December.. I will keep you all posted..

I am having my surgery December 20th and I couldn't be happier. I get so tired of being depressed every holiday season because I haven't lost weight. It will be nice to not have that feeling this year, even though I am sure I will miss the holiday treats just a little. Good luck in whatever you decide!

I am having my surgery Dec 1. I want to start off the new year losing wait. I was originally going wait until Jan for financial reasons, but am glad to have the opportunity to do it this year. Whatever you decide will be fine. You have made the choice to have the sleeve whether this year or next.