Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aceves people PLEASE HELP :)

Hey guys! I'm just a few days away and REALLY getting nervous! It's so weird once you get past the can I really get this done to I'm REALLY GETTING this done feeling....I know this is the best thing I could do for myself & even my family but.....I'm really getting SCARED...any stories about how easy & wonderful Aceves is/was would be great!!

Thanks friends:crying:

Can't say anything about them since I haven't arrived there yet, but consider the alternative to having the surgery - being fat, slowly getting even fatter, hating yourself, developing diabetes, HTN, a 5-meds-a-day habit, and eventually a stroke or heart attack.

Hey, I can understand your fears about everything. I was sleeved by Dr. Aceves past November 2009. I remember the fears. Let me reassure you that Dr. Aceves and his team are wonderful. I felt that this was the first time that I was treated with so much respect by a doctor. He listen, he understood and he answered all of my questions. Dr. Aceves is a very gentle man with a warm personality. He has a wonderful sense of humor. His staff are just as great. The hospital is very nice, very clean, a pleasant atmosphere. My husband accompanied me and he was very impressed. You will have tests done the day before surgery. You will have an ECG, blood work, Urineology test and a chest x-ray. The results will be discussed with you. You will meet Dr. Aceves prior to surgery. You will also meet the doctor who does the Aneistetic (forgive my spelling). You will in fact see Dr. Aceves many times throughout your stay at the hospital. The nurses are great, I did not find much of a language barrier. I wish I could reassure you more, but trust me, once you see the hospital and meet Dr. Aceves all will be well. If you have any questions please dont hesitate to contact me. *chin up..hugs*

Oh, I should add that today I got an e-mail through his Yahoo group from Nina saying Dr. Aceves patients essentially lose all their excess weight within a year. I forgot whether it was a) 96% of pts lose all their excess weight within a year or :laugh0: patients lost, on average, 96% of their excess weight within a year, but these are essentially the same.

Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos his assistant surgeon are wonderful. They come and see you 3 times a day. All the staff there are wonderful. I especially enjoyed Sergio, a male nurse who came to see me several times a day to loan me Dr. Campos' cell phone since mine would not work there. He also brought me Dr. Campos' lap top every day at 3 pm because I was so bored in my room. He always chatted with me and before he left my room each time he said "don't forget to practice your Spanish"

You will love it there. My only regret is that I can't go back there just to visit them all.

You have nothing to worry about. Everyone who has been there has said the same thing. They were treated fabulously there and their entire experience was great.

I was just sleeved on 15 July in Mexicali and I agree with Oregondaisy - Dr. Aceves, Dr. Campos and the staff there were wonderful. I had a great experience, and I fully intend to take my mom back in the future for a sleeve of her own. I went unaccompanied and I was perfectly fine. Almost all of the nurses speak a little English, and the cheat sheet with some Spanish on it made communicating with the ones that didn't very easy. They kept my pain under control the entire time, which was important to me.

I saw Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos several times a day each. I've never had such quality care after a surgery in the states, and I am not exaggerating.

Don't worry! You've already done the hard part: deciding to have the surgery in Mexico. You chose a great surgeon, and he'll take great care of you.

~Cheri

Hey guys! I'm just a few days away and REALLY getting nervous! It's so weird once you get past the can I really get this done to I'm REALLY GETTING this done feeling....I know this is the best thing I could do for myself & even my family but.....I'm really getting SCARED...any stories about how easy & wonderful Aceves is/was would be great!!

Thanks friends:crying:

Hi,

Take a look at this thread by Skye, aka LapGyrl.

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/pre-operation-vertical-sleeve-surgery-vsg-questions-answers/7640-im-finally-mexicali.html

She has done a video blog, www.youtube.com/lapgyrl

which is truly inspiring, and explains what she has done only a few days ago, you will find it completely reassuring.

Jane x

What a great way to wake up this morning!! I just read all of your posts and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for taking the time to make me feel better!!

BIG HUGS & KISSES

xo

I am really thinking about going to Mexico too. I never in million years thought I ever consider it before. But after hearing everyone's story I feel it would be ok. I am only about 3 hrs away from TJ. Everyone seams to really like Dr. Aceves, does he charge more the TJ Drs? I have read they are around $5,200? This would be a hard sell to my husband. With going Mexico.

I was turned down by Kaiser last week. I could probally fight but, I am probally looking at months to get approved.

I was sleeved on JUne 15. It was as easy as any surgery can be. It was my best hospital expereince ever. I just got an email from Dr. Aceves 2 days ago and I am in frequent communication with Gabby his coordinator for post op patients. I received wonderful care and great aftercare.

I am really thinking about going to Mexico too. I never in million years thought I ever consider it before. But after hearing everyone's story I feel it would be ok. I am only about 3 hrs away from TJ. Everyone seams to really like Dr. Aceves, does he charge more the TJ Drs? I have read they are around $5,200? This would be a hard sell to my husband. With going Mexico.

I was turned down by Kaiser last week. I could probally fight but, I am probally looking at months to get approved.

Dr. Aceves is around $9,000. When I first contacted them back in June, they had a promo of $8750. I think usually it's like $9,500.

All I can do is echo what the others have said about Dr. Aceves.

I had my surgery Jan 25, 2010 with him and everything was great.

Everything went just like they said it would from being picked up at

the airport to being dropped off at the airport 4 days later. I arrived

at the Hospital on Sunday and Dr. Aceves met us that

afternoon right after we completed our lab test.

I paid $8750.00 in January and would pay that again to know I was

staying in a hospital under doctor and nurses care 24/7. But that is

just me, not trying to start nothing.

Good luck with your surgery.

Gary

Edited by Garyb_58

I'm scheduled for 08-27 with Dr. Aceves and I'm paying $8750. There are cheaper in TJ, but BEWARE!!! Remember that saying "you get what you pay for"??? Check the stats...some of the TJ physicians have had a lot of leaks and infections. Some of them cram in 6 surgeries a day to make up for the $$ they lost on only charging $5200. I personally didn't want to be a part of a "mill" or surgical assembly line. I did have the financial means to schedule within the US, but after researching Dr. Aceves, I figured I could save more $$ AND get the BEST!!

With Dr. Aceves, you recover in a hospital (not a hotel or clubhouse), you get 3 leak tests as opposed to 1 and Mexicali is a much safer city (from what I've seen) then TJ.....I read somewhere that the hospital you are in is only 1 block from the border....so are you REALLY in Mexico??!! Maybe the hubby wouldn't even notice!! LOL

Every surgeon does it different and stats talk! Like someone mentioned earlier - 96% of Dr Aceves' patients have lost 100% of thir excess body weight in 12 months! That is incredible considering the stats of the sleeve out there is only a 60% reduction of excess weight. :confused1: