Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carb and weight loss poll

We all know that excess carbs can slow weight loss by adding too many calories, and also cause us to become Protein deficient; but have any of you found that carbohydrates cause increased hunger and appetite?

My nutritionist gave me a plan that can is somewhat high in carbohydrates compared to what many of you are eating. She said that if it didn't work for me, we can adjust the plan.

I have found that ever since moving to solid foods and including carbohydrates, my appetite is much stronger than it used to be when i was on the first month post op diet of mainly Protein and very restricted carbs. I didn't find it hard to resist food because i didn't think about it often. But after including bananas, oatmeal, milk, and some cereals and breads, I have a big appetite and get the urge to graze all day. Also, it has lead to some Water retention and bloating.

What are your experiences with carbohydrates and appetite? And for those of you that monitor carbs and calories, how many carbs and calories do you allow yourself in a given day?

Thanks!

I definitely find that the more carbs I eat, the hungrier I am. bread, sweets, crunchy snacky things like chips -- all bad. If I stay off them for a day or two, it's much much easier to keep my Protein up and my calories and appetite down.

I dont find that at all. If I dont include some complex carbs in my day (not necessarily every meal) I am looking for something, nibbling, feeling peckish and eventually have a big sugary carb binge. A half a slice of wholegrain toast with a morning egg, some crackers with lunchtime Soup or some potato or brown rice with dinner and that sugar drive is controlled for me. Cut it out and go low carb and even though the cravings go after a few days I feel shite, have no energy to run etc. I can make it up with a lot of dairy or whatever, it doesnt have to be grains, but grain foods like really good quality stoneground bread doesnt contain the fat that dairy does, so i think a balance of both is better.

For me, its about low GI really, not low carb. chips, Cookies and a lot of fruit are high GI foods that give you the spike in blood sugar than the crash. But have low GI carbs with Protein and you still have a slowly digesting meal that keeps you full and keeps the blood sugar stable and favours a fat burning environment in yoiur body.

I dont find that at all. If I dont include some complex carbs in my day (not necessarily every meal) I am looking for something, nibbling, feeling peckish and eventually have a big sugary carb binge. A half a slice of wholegrain toast with a morning egg, some crackers with lunchtime Soup or some potato or brown rice with dinner and that sugar drive is controlled for me. Cut it out and go low carb and even though the cravings go after a few days I feel shite, have no energy to run etc. I can make it up with a lot of dairy or whatever, it doesnt have to be grains, but grain foods like really good quality stoneground bread doesnt contain the fat that dairy does, so i think a balance of both is better.

For me, its about low GI really, not low carb. chips, Cookies and a lot of fruit are high GI foods that give you the spike in blood sugar than the crash. But have low GI carbs with Protein and you still have a slowly digesting meal that keeps you full and keeps the blood sugar stable and favours a fat burning environment in yoiur body.

Jachut- I have always found this to be true in the past for me, that if i ate whole grains and low glycemic carbs such as some fruit, that I had more energy and it helped control my appetite. I know that there are certain foods that do have carbohydrates but with a low glycemic index that actually keep me from getting hungry, and those are Pure Protein Bars, Supreme Protein Carb Conscious bars (i love the Peanut Butter crunch) and Snickers Marathon bars. I am assuming the high protein content and low sugar helps with the cravings and appetite. Also, strawberries, blueberries and canteloupe all really help with my energy levels and keep my blood sugar stable. I haven't had any problems with berries although canteloupe seems a little hard for me to digest right now, it sits hard on my sleeve.

I find the low GI thing to be true also. I am at my best when I include some complex carbs like a baked yam or lentils. No sugar...no flour (not even whole wheat,) basically I go for lots of Protein and then shoot for legumes and stuff like that. If I don't get those carbs I feel horrible and end up wanting to binge on sugar and simple carbs. I limit my fruit and if I do have fruit I always have a bit of protein with it to lower the GI impact.

I am getting close to goal and do not monitor my carbs at all. But of course, I can only eat small amounts, so I am taking in nowhere near the amount of carbs I was pre surgery. I do not find myself hungrier if I eat more carbs. But when I eat a nice portion of dense meat, I am fuller longer. But since I am rarely ever HUNGRY, it is really an inconsequential difference. To be honest, the carbs I tend to be eating are chips, crackers and fruit. I can't eat much bread and haven't eaten Cereal yet either.

I was kinda scared when people talked about carbs being a big no no, I have steadily lost weight and have not made any food forbidden. I just ate about 3 triscuit and was filled up for a bit. I also eat pizza crust (1/2 slice) about 1 x week. I think you have to see how you are able to lose and work with that. No reason to limit carbs hardcore and then have to eat them to stop losing, IMO.

I think some of us speak different languages when we use the terms "carb" or "low carb." For example I consider what Jackut recommends to be low carb. She is describing the Adkins "Ongoing Weight Loss" plan to a T not to mention other low carb diets. The language barrier seems to be that some see "low carb" and think "NO carb" huge difference.

Most of us are told following WLS to concentrate mainly on Protein for the first few weeks. Much like Atkins "induction phase" (which is a two week plan according to the book). Then we gradually add low glycemic carbs. We need to avoid EXCESS/empty carbs. Our bodies can do only two things with carbs, burn them for fuel immediately or store them as fat for later use. Our carb intake has to be lower than our energy needs to force it to give up those fat cells which it converts to carb (sugar) and keeps our blood sugar levels where they need to be. Once we run out of excess fat cells our need for carbs increases or we would begin breaking down muscle to meet our energy needs. Not good.

We need carbs that are high in nutrition, they contain Vitamins, minerals, Fiber that aren't available in protein/dairy alone. Though I eat what I call low carb, MOST of the time, (hey if I were perfect I wouldn't have needed WLS) I don't concern myself with counting them with WLS, it's not hard to keep them under control if you eat your protein/dairy and high nutrient carbs. Eating the same number of carbs in a sweet potato as a small serving of cake, is not the same thing. LOL

I find that carbs, especially refined carbs stimulate my appetite. I do my best to avoid them. I find that I enjoy the taste of unrefined carbs and they do not leave me with the "hollow" feeling i get from refined carbs. I think it is also important to include some healthy fats as they enhance flavor and can suppress hunger. They also have tons of health benefits.

I find that carbs, especially refined carbs stimulate my appetite. I do my best to avoid them. I find that I enjoy the taste of unrefined carbs and they do not leave me with the "hollow" feeling i get from refined carbs. I think it is also important to include some healthy fats as they enhance flavor and can suppress hunger. They also have tons of health benefits.

I couldn't agree more about the healthy fats. If I have an avacado or sautee my veggies in a little olive oil, I am satisfied for a very long time. I used to think avoiding fats was the way to go... but the good ones really are good.

AMEN to the benefits of eating enough healthy fats. And with our small stomachs we really don't have to worry about over doing it unless we are drinking Olive Oil straight from the bottle. LOL

AMEN to the benefits of eating enough healthy fats. And with our small stomachs we really don't have to worry about over doing it unless we are drinking Olive Oil straight from the bottle. LOL

I agree with you all about the healthy fats, I notice that if i eat two tbsp of Peanut Butter I am satisfied for hours and lose my carb cravings as well. The healthy fat and Protein in the Peanut Butter really sticks with me throughout the day.

I agree with you all about the healthy fats, I notice that if i eat two tbsp of Peanut Butter I am satisfied for hours and lose my carb cravings as well. The healthy fat and Protein in the Peanut Butter really sticks with me throughout the day.

Not to mention the Vitamins that are fat soluable, A, D, E, & K.

[/i]I find the low GI thing to be true also. I am at my best when I include some complex carbs like a baked yam or lentils. No sugar...no flour (not even whole wheat,) basically I go for lots of Protein and then shoot for legumes and stuff like that. If I don't get those carbs I feel horrible and end up wanting to binge on sugar and simple carbs. I limit my fruit and if I do have fruit I always have a bit of Protein with it to lower the GI impact.

Hehe, now I'm quoting someone quoting me, but I had to agree. You dont need FLOUR, just some good complex carb energy - lentils, Beans etc are much more nutritious than flour.

I have found that it was just best to train myself away from 'sweet' as much as possible so I dont eat Protein Bars or shakes or stuff like that becuase for me, keeping sweet in my diet, artificial or not, did keep the taste for those foods going.

And although I have a band, I've never needed very tight restriction with it to lose weight but the downside of that is that if I want to break out I actually CAN do a fair bit of damage. So for me it was always important to get my appetite stable and controllable. I'd also agree that enough good fat is important too. I dont restrict fat at all.

Edited by Jachut

I just stay away from "evil carbs"--potatoes, bread, Pasta, rice, corn, peas. If there are some carbs in a fruit or non-starchy vegetable, I don't really mind it. If I ate potato anything it would trigger a feeding frenzy!