Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kinda bummed!!!!

I just got back from my pre-op class. I loved it.......until the end. Let me start from the beginning. There was a physical therapist who talked to each of us individually about if we have any problems with starting a exercise program now and she also talked about some other things too. We then gather in a group and went over a handout that she gave us. Basically the handout was about your goals for exercising, how to find your target heart rate, what kind of shoes to wear... etc. COOL. Then the nurse coordinator comes in and another handout is passed out. We go over it. Everything is looking good until she says to prevent blood clots each of us will be using AV impulse pads to our feet, given heparin in the hospital,and NOW this is the kicker. I HAVE TO GIVE TO MYSELF AN..... ARIXTRA INJECTION FOR 7 DAYS AFTER SURGERY IN MY STOMACH. Mmm.... WHAT????:scared0: Man.... I'll do what I have to do,but dang it injections!!!!! Did anyone else have to do the injections after surgery?:thumbup1:

No I did not. Sounds like overkill unless there are high risk factors. Maybe consult another doc?

I had to give myself heparin shots 3 times a day after I left the hospital. But, it is because I have a back condition that keeps me pretty sedentary, so since I don't get much exercise, they felt I needed the extra precaution against blood clots.

No I did not. Sounds like overkill unless there are high risk factors. Maybe consult another doc?

The only risk factor is I have is high blood pressure. As far as consulting another surgeon, this Dr. comes highly recommended plus his center is a "Center of Excellence". It takes months to get in and see him. There's not many doctors who perform the sleeve in my area. Plus he's very understanding and I feel comfortable with him. So... I will do what I have to do.:thumbup1:

I would definately say that if you are comfortable with the doctor then it's time to do the injections. It's only a precaution and definately to keep you safe. I remember doing the Heprin injections in the hospital and I didn't even feel them. Hopefully your injections will be the same way at home.

I had lovenox injections given in my upper thighs because they didn't want the anticoagulant being injected near the abdomen. . . I'm not familiar with that particular drug, but Lovenox and Heparin both burn. Don't apply a lot of pressure at your injection site, don't rub it if it hurts, it'll make the bruising worse.

I have a clotting disorder, have to be given a drug to help with clotting then an anticoagulant to prevent DVTs. It's all confusing, but it hasn't failed me LOL.

I've got 'normal' BP and no major problems but I am on a course of 20 heparin injections, one a day in my stomach.

My husband does them. Weirdly sometimes they sting, sometimes they don't.... if he pumps it in quickly to get it over and done with then they tend to sting more. Sometimes they bruise as well... there seems to be no rule with my stomach flesh!!

I hate injections, but I'd rather go thru this than have problems from blood clots etc.

Kathy

That must be what they injected into my lower abdomen while in the hospital. It was several times a day and boy did it cause a lot of bruising! I was purple for weeks. It didn't hurt though, and I don't remember feeling the shots at all. A small price to pay to prevent blood clots.

Heparin and Lovenox are closely related and VERY common for post-op. The heart pumps blood through the arteries, but by the time the blood goes through the tiny capillary beds, there is no longer pressure pushing it through to the venous system (back to the heart). Venous blood returns to the heart SOLELY through muscle contraction, namely walking. If one is sedentary (ie. after surgery, long airplane ride), the strong calf muscles are not regularly pumping blood up the legs and back to the heart. The blood can then pool in the legs. Blood that pools-just sits there, can allow for clots to form. When those clots break free, they can cause severe pain in the affected limb, or travel to the heart, lungs, or brain causing, pulmonary embolism, MI, or stroke. This is why even open-heart patients are mobilized the next day. Anyway, both heparin and lovenox anticoagulate. They both have a short half-life, which is why you have to take them daily, often twice a day. The abdomen is usually where we put it, and yes, it burns (heparin more so than lovenox). Because it is an anticoagulant, yes, you get bruising at the injection site (and more so if you rub it). These go away. DVTs suck. Take the heparin or lovenox if they ask you to, suck it up, and try to ambulate ASAP.

PS- early ambulation will also help with stimulating gastric motility, relieving Constipation (those narcs'll constipate you), prevent pneumonia, alleviate Fluid retention, and help with pain.

Edited by pcindy

Heparin and Lovenox are closely related and VERY common for post-op. The heart pumps blood through the arteries, but by the time the blood goes through the tiny capillary beds, there is no longer pressure pushing it through to the venous system (back to the heart). Venous blood returns to the heart SOLELY through muscle contraction, namely walking. If one is sedentary (ie. after surgery, long airplane ride), the strong calf muscles are not regularly pumping blood up the legs and back to the heart. The blood can then pool in the legs. Blood that pools-just sits there, can allow for clots to form. When those clots break free, they can cause severe pain in the affected limb, or travel to the heart, lungs, or brain causing, pulmonary embolism, MI, or stroke. This is why even open-heart patients are mobilized the next day. Anyway, both heparin and lovenox anticoagulate. They both have a short half-life, which is why you have to take them daily, often twice a day. The abdomen is usually where we put it, and yes, it burns (heparin more so than lovenox). Because it is an anticoagulant, yes, you get bruising at the injection site (and more so if you rub it). These go away. DVTs suck. Take the heparin or lovenox if they ask you to, suck it up, and try to ambulate ASAP.

PS- early ambulation will also help with stimulating gastric motility, relieving Constipation (those narcs'll constipate you), prevent pneumonia, alleviate Fluid retention, and help with pain.

I guess you misunderstand my concern. Let me clarify it. The doctors, the hospital, the anyone can give me a hundred injections. I don't care... even if it hurts like HELL or caused bruising . MY CONCERN IS...... AS A LAYMAN I'M EXPECTED TO GIVE MYSELF AN INJECTION. I also stated I would do what I needed to do, which meant giving myself the injections. But, my daughter who happens to be a Physical Therapist said she would do it for her mommy.

I had them every day whilst in hospital and I was given a course of 14 days worth to do myself at home.

My surgical nurse said that if anything was to go wrong it would be within the first 10 days after surgery, blood clots being one of risks to overweight patients.

It was really easy to do and you can't push the needle in too far. I did the majority of them myself but my husband, my son and even my 2 grand daughters of 9 and 11 had a go. I let them as it really was that safe.

I was told to put them in the lower abdomen as it wouldn't hurt that much in that area, plus I was not to inject to near to surgical wounds.

Snow xx

I had them every day whilst in hospital and I was given a course of 14 days worth to do myself at home.

My surgical nurse said that if anything was to go wrong it would be within the first 10 days after surgery, blood clots being one of risks to overweight patients.

It was really easy to do and you can't push the needle in too far. I did the majority of them myself but my husband, my son and even my 2 grand daughters of 9 and 11 had a go. I let them as it really was that safe.

I was told to put them in the lower abdomen as it wouldn't hurt that much in that area, plus I was not to inject to near to surgical wounds.

Snow xx

Thank You for explaining how safe the injections are!!!!! I had visions of a 12 inch needle.... LOL.

I had to do them the entire time I was pregnant. I had a nice purple ring around my tummy but really, it was no big deal. The needle is tiny and it's over quickly. Doesn't hurt and you'll be a pro in a day or two. For the bruising my mom had some magnets (a good brand people sell for wellness) and it worked so well that under the magnets the bruises went away quickly. The doctors all thought that was interesting and everyone made me show them whenever I went in.

But it's really easy, you'll get the hang of it.

I haven't heard anything about this type of shot but I also have not had my surgery yet. Also keep in mind everything during the information may not apply to you directly. They are trying to get the most information out there for the majority of patients. You may require more or less of this drug.

This is just one more of those things I would've been unaware of prior to surgery, so thanks OP for the heads up. I have no idea if I will be expected to give myself shots, but frankly, the thought of it oogs me out a little. I can give shots to animals all day long and not have a problem but am very uncomfortable doing it to a human...especially myself! That's one reason why I'm so on fire to have this surgery because I know it would be a matter of time with my weight and family history of diabetes that I would likely end up having to give myself injections (like so many of my family).

I appreciate your info and totally understand being a little gaga over the concept. We're alike in the fact that we'll do it if we have to but it is not on the top of the list of things we want to do, eh?