Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much does the sleeve really stretch??

Is there any data out there that shows how much the new stomach will stretch over time? I am almost worried as many of the healthy, low calorie foods are also "bulk foods" that are very filling, i don't know if eating them will end up re-stretching the sleeve to where it takes a large amount of food to get full. I am able to consume a lot of soft foods or liquids, much more than i thought i would be able to at this point, which is making my calorie intake a lot higher than i'd like it.

Seems like there is not alot of solid data because the surgery for weight loss is only about 5 years old.

What I have heard here and read other places is the part that is left is the leathery part that isn't as stretchy as the part they remove.

Regardless, it seems hard to believe that it would stretch quickly. I can't eat alot at a time, 2-3 ounces, unless it is more slider type foods and it still takes me an hour to eat anything over 3.

So - by the time you lose your weight, maybe it will have stretched a little, but you will be in a maintenance mode and eating a little more anyways. We will always have to eat healthier ....

I too was told that it would stretch very little, if any.

My personality is to push for a more concrete answer. My surgeon was very patient and said "You will never be able to eat a whole hamburger again". Since I was (am, if I am honest) a complete fast food junkie, that really put it in perspective for me.

Another way to think about it. 85% of your stomach was removed. Even if what you have doubles (not likely), you still have SO MUCH LESS than you ever had before.

I can eat 4 to 6 ounces of Protein foods like Chili w/beans, fish, chicken salad, etc. I can eat much more in slider foods like cheese it's, cheeto's etc. because they are made of nothing...and end up like mush in your tiny stomach. That is why I can eat more of those, but I've totally stopped that completely because I was going in a bad direction...old habits creaping up on me. I could eat a Jr. Hamburger from Sonic for 1.00. But that would be my entire meal for lunch. I've had to stop that too, because of the carbs. in the bread. I don't feel my stomach has stretched...it's just the foods you choose. chips, crackers, chocolate, etc..go down easy, and you can eat more of them. Solid protein foods fill you up and keep you full much much longer. My Dr. explained to me that the part of the stomach the the sleeve is made of, is the toughest part of the stomach. It has the most muscle, to it dosen't stretch like the lower part of the stomach. I believe that....Just make the best choices you can....eat smart....don't eat junk. I WAS eating junk for a while and I gained 5 lbs...in 2 weeks...that just devestated me...and I'm back on track now....And I'm staying on it. :)

Wow...I hope what you guys are saying about the stomach not stretching that much is true, because I've been worrying about that. My surgeon told me that the sleeve will usually double in size by the end of the 1st year, and triple in size by the end of the second year. I hope he was wrong on this one!

Wow...I hope what you guys are saying about the stomach not stretching that much is true, because I've been worrying about that. My surgeon told me that the sleeve will usually double in size by the end of the 1st year, and triple in size by the end of the second year. I hope he was wrong on this one!

Those sound more like RYN stats to me. I am choosing to be postive and believe that my new stomach will stretch that much.

It's very strange how different Dr's are saying different things about the stretching. But I think some of them are mistaken because with the gastric bypass, the new "pouch" is very stretchable, and this method is done so differently.

What foods do you know of that keep you full for the longest amount of time? I find that some foods will make me full quickly, but it only takes about 30 minutes and i am hungry again. Would like to find something that sits a little longer!

Well I went to my GI doctor this past week, he said as long as the food isn't terribly hard to digest, to start experimenting with new foods, but to take them very slow and in small bites. I'm not allowed veggies yet or anything with seeds, but other than that i think i am okay with most foods given i have tiny bites and wait to see how i tolerate it. If i feel uncomfortable after having a bite or two of something, i stop.

I think tiffy posted an xray where the stomach after four years stretched out..........but it was still small (from the size of a dime, to the size of a nickel. You don't stretch back to a regular stomach, that I know of. And, as has been mentioned, this is only a procedure that is a tool for us to use. People can gain weight if the abuse it. 3 or 4 oz of high calorie carbs everyday, 3 times a day, otta sabotage it pretty easily.

I agree with Immore.

This is just a tool, not a solution. We can choose to stuff milk shakes down or ice cream, cake or Cookies....but what have we accomplished or learned. It was abuse that got us into the 200-300+ lbs. We ARE our worst enemies when we abuse ourselves, whether it be with food OR with words.

Since I can only have 4 oz of food to fit down my stomach right now, I choose to make it as nutritious AND tasty (TOGETHER) as I can.

I lost 180 lbs in my 20's by diet and exercise and kept it off for 10 years, then my Mom got cancer and I was her caretaker. Lots of stress taking care of her and depression after she passed away brought the weight back on and it hasn't been moving down since I was blessed with this 'tool'.

I hope and pray that I have learned to take better care of myself, and love me. I try to say good things about me, just as I would someone else now.

VSG 4/7/2010

Highest Weight: 365

Surgery Weight: 349

Todays Weight: 304

I know it is a tool, but for me it is a bit self governing - not like a hammer or screwdriver you can choose to pick up or set down.

If I eat poorly like sugary stuff or junk stuff, I don't feel good. Most sweets I can just look at them and be like, ummm, no thanks. If I eat dry or course food like too much bread/tortilla which is dry or hard chicken or course beef then the food will sit in my throat instead of going into my sleeve. Then I don't have a satiated feeling just more of an awful feeling until that food goes down which takes a while. If I'm overly stressed it is hard to eat and have things go very well, maybe because when I'm stressed I'm trying to eat too fast, don't chew well, or my stomach is tense, I don't know which yet.

So bc I want to feel good and not bad, I wind up behaving. It is a tool that you can't set down - pretty much impossible to pick up all the bad habits.

This morning I went to Breakfast and ordered 1 over medium egg, hash browns, dry wheat toast, and ham. I ate 1/2 a piece of toast soaked with the egg so it wasn't too dry, most of the egg, about an ounce of the ham which I chewed well and did not even eat the skin just in case that was an issue, and just no hash browns at all (they came with the plate), and a half cup of coffee......and I was so full. That was at 9:30am. Then at 12:00 I ate a half chicken breast and a little bit of apple. I threw away the bread from the sandwich and didn't eat the tater tots that came with it. Full again. You just wind up eating right b/c you have to with the sleeve.

My weight loss has slowed a lot at 4 mos, but I still lose about 1.25-1.50 lbs a week on average. I have not exercised though. I worry more that the sleeve will NOT stretch at all b/c I'm scared I'm going to wind up smaller than I might want. I'd welcome a slight stretch after I lose the weight I want b/c otherwise I am going to be tiny.

I could have chosen to eat only the hash browns and the bread of course, but looking at the plate you just have a sense that if you don't eat the egg, ham, and very little bread then you won't feel satiated. The hash browns are not going to give me the energy. With the sleeve you can only eat so much, and you need energy, so you kinda lead yourself in the right direction simply b/c what you need has to come first and usually there is no room for anything else anyway.

If you are worried it won't work, don't. I feel like I'm slowly melting away. It is the weirdest weight loss I've ever had. It is like all the fat is dissolving, just melting away like a melting snow man. A little here, a little there. It is good, but it is totally weird as opposed to being totally awesome. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I am truly on caloric restriction with this tool and one thing is for sure - I will not be a fat person by the time I've finished this process. I just hope there is something left. My boobs are dissolving bit by bit. I think my skin is shrinking but not as fast as my fat is dissolving.....I AM MELTING!!!

Pumpkin- you crack me up! Its great that you are melting! I am melting slowly, but my boobs were first to go- they are gone now!! :wink0: Can't afford to buy the boobs after paying for the surgery LOL. Now just waiting on the thighs to melt!

I know, weight loss IS is a GOOD thing, right? My head has always been the last to catch up with this weight loss train...b/c once you are on board you are REALLY on board for life.

If you really ponder this...rarely do you make a decision in life, such as this, that is SUCH a long term decision. Like if you cut off your leg, it is gone forever. That is how this is. This decision to remove 85% of your stomach will forever change your life, your health - and we just pray it is all for the good. I know I only looked at the good side before surgery, now I see some down sides too - like how this alters your health in ways we may not yet know.

I feel better physically in the sense that I have less weight to carry around, and that is awesome. But I don't feel as strong, as much stamina, I feel more delicate.....I was hoping to feel more vibrant all day long, but I wouldn't say I'm there yet. Still hopeful though. I feel more delicate physically as far as stamina, I feel less able to cope with stress in general b/c my 'tripas' get very tight and I feel it. But I'm hoping since I'm only 4 mos out of surgery and taking in so little food that eventually I will feel better.

And I'm sort of hoping when this process ends I'll still have some tits and ass. lol I don't want to be a skeleton with skin. That has never been my goal. I hope my sleeve understands this is the plan!!!

I know it is a tool, but for me it is a bit self governing - not like a hammer or screwdriver you can choose to pick up or set down.

If I eat poorly like sugary stuff or junk stuff, I don't feel good. Most sweets I can just look at them and be like, ummm, no thanks. If I eat dry or course food like too much bread/tortilla which is dry or hard chicken or course beef then the food will sit in my throat instead of going into my sleeve. Then I don't have a satiated feeling just more of an awful feeling until that food goes down which takes a while. If I'm overly stressed it is hard to eat and have things go very well, maybe because when I'm stressed I'm trying to eat too fast, don't chew well, or my stomach is tense, I don't know which yet.

So bc I want to feel good and not bad, I wind up behaving. It is a tool that you can't set down - pretty much impossible to pick up all the bad habits.

This morning I went to Breakfast and ordered 1 over medium egg, hash browns, dry wheat toast, and ham. I ate 1/2 a piece of toast soaked with the egg so it wasn't too dry, most of the egg, about an ounce of the ham which I chewed well and did not even eat the skin just in case that was an issue, and just no hash browns at all (they came with the plate), and a half cup of coffee......and I was so full. That was at 9:30am. Then at 12:00 I ate a half chicken breast and a little bit of apple. I threw away the bread from the sandwich and didn't eat the tater tots that came with it. Full again. You just wind up eating right b/c you have to with the sleeve.

My weight loss has slowed a lot at 4 mos, but I still lose about 1.25-1.50 lbs a week on average. I have not exercised though. I worry more that the sleeve will NOT stretch at all b/c I'm scared I'm going to wind up smaller than I might want. I'd welcome a slight stretch after I lose the weight I want b/c otherwise I am going to be tiny.

I could have chosen to eat only the hash browns and the bread of course, but looking at the plate you just have a sense that if you don't eat the egg, ham, and very little bread then you won't feel satiated. The hash browns are not going to give me the energy. With the sleeve you can only eat so much, and you need energy, so you kinda lead yourself in the right direction simply b/c what you need has to come first and usually there is no room for anything else anyway.

If you are worried it won't work, don't. I feel like I'm slowly melting away. It is the weirdest weight loss I've ever had. It is like all the fat is dissolving, just melting away like a melting snow man. A little here, a little there. It is good, but it is totally weird as opposed to being totally awesome. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I am truly on caloric restriction with this tool and one thing is for sure - I will not be a fat person by the time I've finished this process. I just hope there is something left. My boobs are dissolving bit by bit. I think my skin is shrinking but not as fast as my fat is dissolving.....I AM MELTING!!!

Great post Pumpkin!!!!!