Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keys Pirate 3 Month Update; Comments and Pics (long)

Hi Gang!

First, I want to say that this board has been a GODSEND to me. I have learned so much from you guys and received so much support from here - wow - I can't even thank you all enough. But Thank You All!! :sad0:

I cannot BELIEVE I'm finally here writing about my journey three months out; time went so fast but at times, it's like, it's about time!! The journey has been nothing short of incredible, mind boggling and, like Tiff said at one time, a mind twist for sure! It's all good and I wouldn't change a thing! I am so happy I did this!! I have posted some pictures in my album, I'm .5 pound short of 60 pounds today - I figure I'll hit 60 later today after I ride my bike - that's always good for a pound or so. The pics are 50 pounds down and also include the other two that had surgery the same day as me - you all are familiar with Gary_B - that's him before. I'm in the pink shirt. Samantha had rny with Aceves. My goal was 50 pounds by tax day - I beat it by three days.

A few observations thus far; people didn't really start to notice my weight loss until I was well into the 40+ pounds lost. Very aggravating. Now, less than 60 lost, some are saying don't lose more. Moral to the story, keep the public tuned out!! They mean well but they really don't know what they are talking about most of the time!

Eating has been wonderful; I have always had an Iron gut and that remains. Nothing has bothered me and I'm happy about that. I've only "hurt" myself twice; once when I first went onto solids and ate a hard boiled egg too fast... so that's what sliming is all about... that was horrible, and a second time when I was trying to eat on the fly and ate some wings way too fast again... Not as bad of an episode as the egg but gross nevertheless. I've never thrown anything up but came close these two times.

I still have a terrible time slowing down eating - it really is hard for me, especially being around my family that inhales their food. I am trying to get better with that and hope I don't damage my sleeve in the meantime. I do know when to stop, however, and don't do anything to make pain, obviously pain is bad.

I also have very bad head hunger sometimes and am thankful (mostly) that my sleeve is there to keep it in check. I was in New Orleans by myself last week on business where every other business is a fantastic restaurant - I thought I was going to go nuts. Double whammy on going out to eat alone, I won't do it because of the tiny portion business... I do find myself obsessing about food more than I like; the old fat girl is still there, no doubt. I'm hoping this gets better, I really hope it does. I am staying under 1000 cals per day, under 25 carbs per day and as much Protein as I can get in - I try for 90-100 g's. I log religiously on myfitnesspal.com.

Hunger; I have had plenty but I know it's just gastric juices and not real hunger. My stomach likes to toy with me, however. I've really tried to listen to what my body is telling me and I've found that when I get these so-called hunger pangs, I've noticed that the feeling only lasts for a couple of minutes, usually. If it doesn't, it's rare and it's usually late in the day; I've had to take an extra half nexium on occasion because of this. If I don't, or if I forget to take my dose in the morning, I pay dearly. I'm hoping this gets better but at least I know it's all acid related, controllable, and I'm not truly hungry.

Weight Loss; I have been thrilled with the ride so far, haven't had any real stalls but a couple of slow downs of barely 2 pounds in a week. I average about 4 pounds a week, give or take. I am following a very low carb diet while I'm in the losing phase. I know I could just take the restiction and lose slowly but that's not how I work. I am looking forward to a few more carbs once I meet goal for sure, but, I have to say, this has been the easiest "diet" ever. Even starvation didn't take 60 pounds off of me in three months. Not that I ever did starvation for three months... Anyway.

I?m hoping to meet goal by my birthday; July 30. I think it?s very possible but I'm not going to obsess any more than I already am! :wink0:

Drinking; I was surprised to find that I was/am more disturbed about not being able to chug liquids more than I ever thought I would be. I still can't chug like before but what I can drink is MUCH more than at the beginning. I still wish I could take more, especially when exercising but it's all good. This bothers me more than food issues. I am, however, getting in plenty of fluids; easily 100 oz per day. I keep a sport top Water bottle with me, mix single packs of Lipton or Arizona tea in them, and refill the same bottle for about a week from the tap before I toss it. Trying to do my best to be green. Tried alcohol once, two bloody marys, didn't get intoxicated, really a non-event. Avoiding alcohol now because of the calories. A glass of wine would be sooooo nice, however... :blink: coffee has been the best thing ever, I started back probably 2 or 3 weeks out; heaven. Just my one power cup in the morning. I make it extra strong with splenda and powdered Creamer. Yummy!!

My periods have been a little whacked since surgery... will save the details but I'm hoping they get back to normal...

Any regrets? NONE! Would I recommend this for someone thinking about it? Absolutely!!! I know that I had an easier time than many and anyone thinking about this should absolutely do their research including plenty of soul searching.

Thanks again to everyone for listening, you guys are the best!

Carol

You ROCK!!!!!!!!! Sixty lbs in three months? I can't even wrap my head around that. I am so impressed. It is great that you and your hubby have been able to exercise and have that bond post op, otherwise this can end up feeling like you are all on your own.

The drinking thing has been my biggest frustration too! I wake up some days and would just kill to guzzle some cold Water. Lots and lots of it!

Thanks for sharing about your journey and about all your victories, I looked at your pics too, and fat girl me looked right at your knees in your after pictures, and guess what YOU HAVE KNEES!!! And ankles. These are things I aspire to have! Great job in being so disciplined and getting this done.

Amazing job in 3 months! 60 lbs wow. You can tell that you are really working your sleeve. And being really strict with the carbs. I am going to look to you for inspiration - I have not been that strict with the carbs - staying mostly around 30-35 (I don't count net). But I would like to be doing as well as you at the 3 month point (just 5 weeks now). Keep up the great work. I also looked at your photos and you look fantastic!!

Wow, you are looking fantastic! Congratulations on the amazing loss! :sad0: I think at the rate you're going, you should have no trouble making goal by your birthday! Keep up the great work! :blink:

Carol, you know I absolutely love you ! ! ! I'm so proud of your progress, and attitude from the very beginning. Just to let ya know about the chugging Water thing, I can easily take big gulps now. It doesn't hurt, it doesn't come back up. I do have to take a breath in between gulps, but it does get better.

You're gonna feel amazing once you hit goal, and hope you share it with us.

Cheers to you and your continued success ! ! !

Congrats Carol!! You are doing amazing!

And you are much more strict than me! LOL Good for you. I have taken a much softer approach - the mental has definitely been harder for me than the physical. If I cut back anymore, I would likely be looney. ok, loonier : )

I average 500 calories, less than 40 carbs, 60 or so Protein. I am lousy in the Water department, but was before surgery also. I feel fine so my body must be used to it. LOL If I count the one or two shakes I have every day, then I am close to 64 oz tho.

Alcohol definitely hit me hard at first. I have had a couple of ounces of homemade lemoncello the past two nights, and it hasn't made me very loopy. It does have alot of sugar in it tho so will need to be a weekend treat : )

My first hard boiled egg was an experience as well! Even tho I took an hour to eat it! I have had some since tho as well as scrambled eggs and they have gone down just fine. Everytime I eat something new tho my stomach gurgles like crazy! Its actually pretty funny. Does it really keep track of post op foods???

Great post! Should be very useful to people considering surgery or recovering!

Edited by pnw218

Thanks for your post!! I am VERY impressed by your discipline and your Protein intake--I hope I can do as well.

Thanks you guys for all your sweet comments, they sure make me feel great about everything! Wannalise, you cracked me up about my knees and ankles, you're right and I didn't even think about that! Lol!!! You are also 100% correct about having DH to exercise with, I don't know if I could be so regular without him. We really do push each other. It's so important to have someone at your side through this.

I still haven't wrapped my head around 60 pounds down yet, don't worry! It's funny, when I was in New Orleans I would catch glances of myself in the mirrors in hotel and gasp! This has been nuts!! I am so proud of your journey too, you've had quite the ride and look how far you've come already!!

Tiff, thanks for one more thing to look forward too regarding drinking, I am doing so much better in that regard but totally look forward to being able to drink more - soon! You're my hero, woman! There aren't too many people at your stage in the game that still hang around this board, I hope you know how much everyone here appreciates you!!

You know it's funny - the comments about my "discipline" - welllll... yes and no. There is definitely discipline when the head hunger kicks in, no doubt about it. But the exercise, for the most part is easy and getting in enough Fluid and Protein is not really a challenge either. Mostly, the sleeve has given me the help I so desperately needed. Now, it's really not that difficult to not eat carbs and bad things, it's really not. And I love it! This is the most thrilling part of the journey. The couple of times I have "succumbed" - a bite did the trick, totally satisfied with just a bite of cake or a small fingerfull - a taste really, of frosting, for example. And yes, PNW218 my stomach talks to me on a regular basis, it's kinda funny.

I find getting lots of Protein is pretty easy too once you're on solids; a few shrimp, for example has TONS of protein, no carbs and is much more fun than a shake. Beef Jerky, oh yeah. tuna, steak, lunch meat etc. Even in small portions.

Thanks again to all of you Angels, you're a gift.

C

p.s. officially 60 pounds today!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!

Carol,

You look fabulous!

What a huge change in your pictures!

I wish I would have known you were going to be in New Orleans! I live just across the lake from N.O. We could have gotten together!

Carol,

You look fabulous!

What a huge change in your pictures!

I wish I would have known you were going to be in New Orleans! I live just across the lake from N.O. We could have gotten together!

I second that....I am on the North Shore too....

And you do look great! Keep up the good work! YOu are such an inspiration to all of us....

Karen

Hey Carol,

Girl you look great, you are working that sleeve and riding that bike to get the weight off. You sure are doing great.

Yeah I remember that picture before we went to the Hospital to have surgery. I don't never plan on being that big again.

Have you heard from Sam, just wondering how she is doing?

Way to go Carol. The family says hello.

Talk to you later.