Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hunger...It Really Does Get Better

Hey Gang,

Just thought I'd share the latest and greatest development in my sleeve journey. Until the last week or so, I was concerned and a little disappointed (albeit ready to deal with it) that I was experiencing way more hunger than I expected shortly after meals and at most points in between. I was carrying Snacks with me - good Snacks - like cheese and slices of lunchmeat, that kinda thing because of my increased fixation with food and hunger. I was finding myself better off snacking throughout the day and having small meals at mealtime. My calories were still right on track, along with carbs and my weight loss has been wonderful. I was concerned about the habit I was developing for the long-term, however. I have been taking Nexium daily, fwiw.

Anyway, to get to it, almost overnight it seems, starting about a week ago, I guess, this all seems to have changed. The rumbling, grumbling hunger seems virtually gone - there is still some, sometimes, but it's greatly diminished. I am so excited and so happy that this is happening!! I had been reading to expect this to be the case but was verrrrry skeptical with the way I was feeling.

The last several days I have left the snacks in the fridge, stuck mostly with meals and upped the Protein a bit.

I'm feeling GREAT too, I am so glad I did this!! So, I know that I am not the exception to this rule and you all that are feeling hunger post-op, hang in there, I know more of you will be feeling this decrease too and can't wait to hear your stories!!

Carol:thumbup1:

Hallelujah! That's exactly what I needed to hear about the hunger. It's been so frustrating to deal with. Seems I get hungry 1-2 hours after every meal. I switched from Pepcid to Prilosec but it made no difference, so today I am trying 2 days of neither to see what the difference will be. I have an appt. with the surgeon in 3 days so I will discuss with him.

Thanks so much for posting about this as you have given me more hope to believe that it will eventually end.

I agree with you! I'm still taking the Prevacid every day, but I feel much less hunger now than I did during the first couple of weeks of taking that. Granted, I tried going back to coffee during that time too, which only made the hunger worse instead of getting rid of it like it used to before surgery, but I also had the hunger before the coffee, and that's what I'm comparing to.

FWIW though, going back off the coffee has made a HUUUUGE difference too. :smile1:

So happy to read this post! I just posted yesterday asking about hunger. That is exactly how I feel. I eat this very small meal, feel like I can't eat another bite and 1-2 hours later I feel hungry. My surgery was 5 weeks ago so I am hopeful it will change. Thanks for posting

Diane

I'm also on Nexium, but still feeling hunger. I didn't have it right after surgery (done on 1/8/10), but it seems to be getting worse instead of better. I'll keep the faith that it might eventually get better. At least I can eat a couple of bites of something and it will be gone though.