Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated! Not losing!!

ok, so I've read about stalls before and now I'm going through one and I'm freaking out! I keep getting thoughts that my sleeve isn't working anymore! I really don't write down what my intake is but I make sure that I keep carbs to a minimal (20 grms or less) and high Protein low fat. I am 5 weeks out and have only lost 20 lbs! I've been stuck at 191 lbs for the last 2 weeks! I exerciase about 3-4 times per week. Could it be that I'm not intaking enough protein? Anyone else go through the same thing so early on?? Help! :smile:

sury:blink::smile:

There are many physiological reasons for stalls. They range from;

• Calories not meeting being in a deficit
  • Water Retention due to PMS (or Salt)
  • Hidden Calories
  • Changes in metabolism (Remember you burn less when you get smaller)
  • and a million other things..

The body makes it harder to lose the leaner you get as well... it takes 3600 calories to lose one real pound of fat.

If you eat 1000 a day and only really burn say 1800 you have a net loss of only 800 calories... (IOW) 4+ days to lose a real pound...

:) Don't allow a scale to make you frustrated... you simply could be adding muscle at this part of your life (which you need by the way).

Go to Livestrong.com and start the daily plate and really check your calories, if you know you are doing everything right...then you CAN'T be the only one on the planet who breaks the laws of thermodynamics... you will feel good that "something else if going on" and before you know it progress is on it's way again :thumbup:

This is completely normal, and I understand your frustration. Remember that our bodies are programmed to hold onto fat - helpful in times of scarcity and/or cave-man days, but un-needed in this day and age. Your body will fight you to keep what it thinks are essential nutrients to prevent it from starving to death. When you drastically cut down on calories, your body goes into overdrive to hold on to what it can.

Increasing your Protein intake usually helps (this helped break me out of a stall), along with increasing excercise. Even light exercise EVERY day will help. Your sleeve is working fine as long as you're not in pain. Your body will eventually "get on the program" and know what to do. You've made great progress so far. Most likely this will not be your last stall, but just know that you will keep losing at a slow and steady pace. One day you'll hop on the scale and be shocked by what you see. Just keep doing what you're doing and try not to be a slave to the scale. Good luck!

TnT and TexasT:

Thank You for the great advice! I do have to admit that I am a slave to my scale and I know it's a horrible thing! I am taking it away from my room so that I don't have to look at it anymore. As far as eating, I will try to count my cals for 1 week just to make sure I'm on the right track. One question, do you every feel hungry? I do after my short meals and I'm worried that's not normal. Most peoples hunger just disappears! Mine is still there, but the only difference is that I eat 100 times less as before and it's something healthy. Another question, how many carbs would you recommend per day?

Thanks!

Sury

Unfortunately I DO feel hungry, which I was totally shocked about. Right after surgery I had no hunger, but now I have it all the time. So I guess for some of us, that's normal. As for carbs, I don't have an answer for that. My doc didn't talk to me about it since I was a revision and so close to goal already. A lot of people had to talk to dietitions and they had guidelines for that. Hopefully one of them can offer some advice.

Sury, I hope the stall breaks soon. Sometimes we have to shake things up by adding a few calories, keeping carbs under 30 grams was my programs direction during the losing stage, change up your exercise program, anything to shock the body, and it may very well get the scale moving again.

It'll break, just stay positive and try to not stress. About the hunger, are you on a PPI like Prilosec or Nexium? Some people false feel hunger from acid overproduction.

Hi Tiffy!

Thanks for the info. I'm not taking any antiacid because I never felt any reflux. I do have the chewable Pepcid my doctor told me to take at the beginning. As far as the hunger, what I feel is that empty stomach feeling. I guess because what I am eating is so little. I will try your suggestion and I'm also going to increase my exercise intensity a bit. And most important, will try my best not to weigh myself for 2 weeks! It's gonna be hard! :)

Thanks!!

I was sleeved right before you and I get empty stomach hunger too. It is a physical need for food, which is different than a craving for pizza after eating a hot dog and oreos lol. Of which I've had none of those. lol Nor do I intensely crave these type things.

Just walk your arse off and it will fall off on its own.

Pepcid is required by my doc for life. Also I do get some glimpses of hunger but it is more of the feeling of "OMG I am Missing out on something..."

When it all boils down to it I eat something light and go on my way again....

The benefit to lower carb eating has really only 2 things to it:

(disclaimer ....I am not a know it all I work in the fitness industry for 25 years and have access to some great debates and great minds...:thumbup:)

Since we now have a tiny suite case in our tummy's you can only pack the most important things....

THE MOST IMPORTANT things to our body is good fat and good Protein... the least is carbs... (here come the debaters:bored0:)

Mind you I have nothing against carbs... some of my fondest dishes are carbs! :drool5: However you need to get your nutrients needs first for your life!

Next... low carb helps with satiety :) countless studies really only boil down to that.

There is no advantage one way over another calorie wise however since you now have to choose carfuly:

get 70 Grams of Protein in minimum a day first and foremost.... then plan your day from there....

Get your vitmains in (do not buy grocery Vitamins go to DOTFIT.com and pick your Vitamins and minerals they are the best in the world.

Oh, and always leave room for a sugar free Fudgecicle at the end of the day!

Hi Tiffy!

Thanks for the info. I'm not taking any antiacid because I never felt any reflux. I do have the chewable Pepcid my doctor told me to take at the beginning. As far as the hunger, what I feel is that empty stomach feeling. I guess because what I am eating is so little. I will try your suggestion and I'm also going to increase my exercise intensity a bit. And most important, will try my best not to weigh myself for 2 weeks! It's gonna be hard! :(

Thanks!!

You betcha Sury. You can do it, Pepcid works a little differently than PPIs. You may want to check with your doctor about picking up some over-the-counter Prilosec and see if that helps. I didn't have any true reflux, but I had the same empty feeling early on about 1-2 hours I had just eaten. Once I went on Prilosec once daily that all went away.

I missed a couple of doses this last weekend when I was out of town, and I had the same problem again. It was weird because I knew there was no way I was really hungry.

I'm happy to report that the scaled number has CHANGED!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!! Finally! I actually stayed away from it for about 1 week and I weighed myself this morning and I lost almost 3 more pounds!!! Yay!!!

Thank you for all the great advice! You guys are truly a blessing! I did mostly only Protein and a lot of exercise this week and I feel great!! I really do love my sleeve :thumbup:

I'm glad the scale finally moved for you! My plan requires me to weigh daily but I really just pay attention to what it says on Wednesday. I know I really slowed down the last three week to just about 2 pounds a week. I know that this weight is going to come off so I'm being patient. This week it took me from Wed to Sun to let go of one silly pound.

Let's compare notes to where we are in six months! :)

Tiff - when could you swallow Prilosec or Nexium?

My prilosec are prescription, and they are tiny capsules. I didn't go on them until 4-5 weeks out when I started food. I wasn't able to eat or drink anything for 22 days so I'm not the best person for this question. But, I was able to swallow Tylenol caplets after those days to help with pain.

I know my paperwork said any medication that wasn't time released or extended release, and the pill was no bigger than a regular M&M could be swallowed immediately post-op.