Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone...My doc has put me on B12 Injections once monthly (partly due to the fact that I'm not taking my Vitamins on a regular basis whatsoever...please..no lectures) I was wondering if anyone else has done any self-injections or had these. My mom is going to teach me, she's had RNY and has been taking these for years. I've been researching like CRAZY...I'm no chicken, but the needle is a 25 gage 1.5" long....gahhh!! (the pharmacist recommended it) I've read that its and intramuscular injection. (ouch) and i know the places to do it...arm, thigh or butt (ouch ouch ouch) I just don't want to be sore for a week out of each month. Might go to a 1"...can anyone chime in on their own experiences with this? or perhaps any nurses out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ouch is right! Sorry I'm no help. What about taking B12 sublingual (melts under the tongue! I take 2500mcg (1 tab) a day. I'm curious to know what the dosage is that you will be injecting daily?

Its only once monthly, and its 1cc (1000 mcg) I'm just not that good at pills in general, and vitamins...eck! But I am working on it. I opted for the injections also based on my moms experience...she has TONS of energy as a result of these shots....lol..I'll take what I can get...I've tried the sublingual, also.

I am doing the sublingual Cherry flavored B12 from GNC, ZipMelt is that they call it I think. 83,000% of the recommended daily allowance so I am sure it is enough, LOL. Tastes great and it melts in about a minute. Do it every morning after I brush my teeth and eat my chewables. Which is worse, a cherry treat everyday or a 1.5" needle in the butt once a month?

Bill

i would try to start taking the po vits. on a regular basis. have you tried setting an alarm clock to take your po Vitamins. i can't really say much. i am not taking my Calcium vit. i can't swallow my calcium petites. it hurts so bad. before surgery i had no problems taking pills. why do i now. it is crazy!!!

I was wondering that since I am a pre-op person and I take alot of medicine if it was hard to swallow pills after surgery. Do you think I should ask for liquid or chewable forms if they are available? I asked the psychologist at my consult with her and she said you should be able to swallow all your pills no problem but I wondered if this was true since she is not one who has WLS done. Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get all of this in order before I have my surgery so It can be less stress on me and anyone who is helping me during my recovery..

Shontel, I have been doing the B-12 shots for around a year now, but I just drop in on the doctors office and they take me back give me the shot and its done. It does help with well being. But, I they recently found my testosterone low and I have to give myself these shots every other week, with the same needle you are talking about. It is huge. The testosterone is thick and oily, and has to be in the muscle, so no choice to move to a smaller needle. I prefer it in the hip please. I have trouble pushing the needle all the way in so I get someone else to give me the shot. It is suppose to go in to the hilt is what I read,, Looks like it would hit a bone, so make sure to hit the correct area. Best of luck with that. I have never been sore from either shot.

I have a girlfriend that had RNY and she has to get these injections. Unfortunately, she is severely B12 and b6 deficient, and she has to get injections. But, she has volatile side-effects to the shots. She gets nauseated, and has to go on a bland diet for the first 5-7 days after her shot. She said after the first week she feels great, but it sucks for those 5-7 days.

Of course, she is deficient because of her malabsorption component. I wouldn't take the injections unless I was truly deficient, but that's just me.

I have been slacking on my Vitamins for the last 2 weeks, but plan on getting back on the bandwagon this week.

The 25 gauge needle is pretty thin, but that's a long needle. I always opt for the thigh for intramuscular injections.

loser- thanks for the good advice! I think I will get them in my hip also, but will have to do it in my thigh if I do it myself. My mom and others I know swear by the shots, but I've read that the oral is just as effective. Again, my problem is they all make me sick. (and I've tried many, believe me)

Tiffy-Wonder why your friend gets so ill? I've read that some are allergic to the other components (maybe preservative?) of the injection.

If I have any negative side effects, I see no need to, but for me, its just less pills.

Side note: I have low folic acid...anyone else have this problem? I've had this problem way back since I got my lap band.

I get a B12 shot weekly at my drs office and I love it! It's not painful at all and I can definately tell a huge difference in my energy when I miss a week...they don't even compare to the sublingual I used to take that I got from GNC. The shot just works sooo much better and I notice more energy as the days go by! Ppi's prohibit b12 absorbtion so it's important to keep those levels up...not only for energy but, neurologically as well...good luck!

You really should take the B12 sublinguals. They are almost discomfort-free, and (once your levels are normalized) you might be able to skip the shots. Of course, talk to your doctor.

B12 is not something to be messed around with. Insufficient B12 can lead to brain damage.

:biggrin2:Just a question regarding B-12. I'm sure they told me, but I can't remember ....why can't we take the pill form of B-12? I don't want the injections, and I don't like the taste of the sub-lingual....but I keep taking them :scared0:

Shontel, as a dentist, and a diabetic on insulin, and one who takes B12 injections the 25 gauge needle is pretty thin. If you want to use 1" needles that is OK but you have to inject where there is less fat. It is an intramuscular injection after all, not a subcutaneous injection.

The trick is to be bold, holding the syringe like a dart, quickly hit the target area. I prefer B12 shots in the upper deltoid area, about 2 inches below the shoulder joint. I is relatively pain free if you do not hesitate, believe me I have had thousands of injections and given tens of thousands.

If you are still afraid, rub an ice cube on the target area for a minute or two prior to the injection. Ovary up, and try it a few times, with practice comes perfection.

ovary up? OMG I love that you said that... hahahaha

I am a chicken when it comes to shots too so I feel your pain. You could also check to see if the sublingual has a flavored one... just a thought. Good luck! :)