Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

losing weight before surgery...

my surgery date is january 5th....one month!!!! i am having surgery with dr aceves.

i'm really worried about losing weight before the procedure. it seems like all of you lost weight before your procedure....but my weight has been fluctuating a lot lately...mostly on the up swing :mad0:

i asked monica and she said if i gained a little weight it shouldn't be a problem....but it still concerns me. i just started a new BC, and hormone fluctuations cause weight gain with me....and the holidays!!!

did any of you gain a little weight before your surgery? complications? help?

ps: I am 5'3 and 250lbs

Hi Megan

I had my sleeve done last sunday at 6pm.

I put quite a lot of weight on before the op as i was comfort eating so much. I was also bad the first few days of my preop diet and the day before surgery i had a biscuit and half a baguette (at my sons 6th birthday party).

The suregery usually takes about an hour and a half to 2 half hours. Mine took less than an hour and was "text book" the surgeon said that the liver was very small.

So even with eating like a pig and a few "cheats" i managed to be great the rest of the time.

Hope my story helps.

Ps less than 1 week in i feel great.

Good luck on your journey.

Dalite xxxx

Megan Dr. Aceves will look more at your labs, EKG and chest xray than at your weight -- if you weren't overweight, you wouldn't be seeing him in the first place, so don't stress out about gaining a few pounds - DO focus on his pre-op diet of high protein/low carbs (under 30) as that will help to shrink your liver - and that is what the goal of the pre-op diet is, not to make you lose weight -- I think I might have lost 3 lbs on my pre-op? That could have just been Water weight too - so don't stress about it!

I agree with Vegas Angel. The high Protein, low carb diet before surgery is very important, to shrink your liver. If it is big and slippery from eating carbs, you have a higher risk of it being nicked (which causes hemorhage) during surgery because the surgeon has to work very close to and under the liver. So fill up on meat, poultry, fish, eggs, nuts, cheese, and other protein and stay away from all carbs as much as you can. This will shrink your liver and take away its' slippery coating, and give you the very best chance of having no complications post-operatively.

You'll love Dr Aceves and Dr Campos. Let us know how you are doing post op!

my weight is still going up!!!! over the last month or two i've ained 13lbs!!!! i feel so scred about this. my surgery date is 2 1/2 weeks, and i can't seem to get a grip on my weight. i feel SO afraid i will be denied when i get there!

Are you eating Proteins and avoiding carbohydrates?

im going through this last supper syndrome too and im pretty far out at least two months. ive gained 12 lbs. im going to shoot for losing 20 lbs by feb.