Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone broken out in hives after surgery?

I had band to sleeve surgery nearly 3 weeks ago and started to have hives about a week post op. I saw my regular doctor and he thought it was an allergic reaction to something and figured we would never know what was causing the allergic reaction. He gave me a shot of cortisone and I got better. I thought it was going to go away without having to do any oral steroids. Thanksgiving evening, I started to itch some and it has progressively gotten worse. I have no idea what it causing it, but I'm broken out all over and my joints are hurting some. I don't know what from the surgery could cause this, but I'm going back to the dr's again to see if there is anything else I can do. I'm miserable from the itching. I've been taking benedryl which helps some. I would love to hear from anyone that has had a similar problem after surgery. Thanks!

I had it! I was itching all over, in particular on the soles of my feet and my palms but it was everywhere else as well. I came out in little red blotches on my hands and feet which would flare up and then disappear. My surgeon had no idea what it was and I treated it myself with anti-fungal creams at first. My GP had no idea what it was either and prescribed me with a very strong anti-histamine and anti-itch cream. It did go though and I am no longer troubled with it. My friend who is a doctor is convinced it was pruritus (?) and could have resulted from all the stuff they slap all over you prior to surgery.

Hi,

I am having the same problem. I had Brest surgery on Oct 19th 2011. 2 weeks later, I start breaking out in hives all over my body. From my head to my private part. It is driving me crazy. I have went to the emergency room because of this. While in the emergency room they have given prednisone and Benadryl. The Benadryl stop the itching but I keep breaking out in hives. Whelps all over my body. My back was red and it look like someone just beat me across my back. Whelps all over my hand, shoulders chest, feet and face. Every time I take a shower, it comes on hard. I just want to fall out from itching. I am a black women and after a shower my body is red from the hives. When I was released, from the emergency, they had given me a prescription for prednisone and told me to take Claritin. I am going seek help from a dermatology. This is driving me crazy.

Please anyone, any suggestions?

well i break out after surgery as well i think from the steri strips and the cleaning stuff. i use hydracortizone cream. and it helps your three weeks our how are you losing.. i have not lost anything and i am scared i only have 50 to lose but i am freaking.

Yes bad rash/ hives two wks out n won't go away. Think it's pain Med related.

Yes horrible hives from my breasts to my waist. Gave me prednisone and atarax. Still took a full two weeks to get better. Something about it being a tissue binded allergen.

Pure torture!

Hi,

I am having the same problem. I had Brest surgery on Oct 19th 2011. 2 weeks later, I start breaking out in hives all over my body. From my head to my private part. It is driving me crazy. I have went to the emergency room because of this. While in the emergency room they have given prednisone and Benadryl. The Benadryl stop the itching but I keep breaking out in hives. Whelps all over my body. My back was red and it look like someone just beat me across my back. Whelps all over my hand, shoulders chest, feet and face. Every time I take a shower, it comes on hard. I just want to fall out from itching. I am a black women and after a shower my body is red from the hives. When I was released, from the emergency, they had given me a prescription for prednisone and told me to take Claritin. I am going seek help from a dermatology. This is driving me crazy.

Please anyone, any suggestions?

I had the same thing. At first I thought it was because I started premier Protein from costco and maybe I was allergic to milk Protein. BUT, I had been having milk before and was fine. It's 3 weeks now, I was given prednisone and benadryl/claritin and it seemed to help but the meds were making my tummy feel awful. I stopped everything after the prednisone. I seem to be getting better slowly on my own but going to my family doctor tonight to talk to him about it.

I've never had food allergies - EVER - so I am stumped.

Just throwing these out there and maybe ask your doctor at the next follow-up.

1) Hives can occur in that fashion as a heightened stress response after surgery. Similar to diabetics having elevated blood sugars after surgery; it's a common stress response that some people just develop.

2) You could be allergic to the sutures used to close your incisions. Suture rejection is a common problem but is often overlooked as the cause of rashes or hives post-operatively.

3) Pain meds. Even if you've taken them previously without difficulty, they can still cause itching or an allergic response.

4) If you have JUST itching it's ok. Not comfortable I know, but ok. If your itching is accompanied by a rash of any kind or hives, then that's an allergy. If your itching is accompanied by a rash, hives, an itchy tongue, lips or mouth, swelling, and shortness of breath - call 911 for help.