Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So yesterday we went to a 4th of July BBQ and I had my first true encounter with head hunger. This is a group we belong to and the rules are bring a dish to share and your own meat to grill. There is always SO MUCH food to choose from and yesterday was no exception. And my head took over -- everything looked and smelled so good and after having just moved to mushies you can imagine how good it looked.

And so I decided I could eat some of all the good things -- and I was wrong. I over did, even though I only took tiny bits to try ... I took too many tiny bits and they all added up to too much for my little stomach.

I was MISERABLE and had to fight the urge not to get sick. It's amazing how that can totally zap your energy.

Anyway, it was my first battle with head hunger since the surgery and I hope that I have learned a lesson from it - that even little bits of everything is too much and in the future, at the next party, I will have to be much more selective in my choices and not let the head hunger win out over my knowledge that too much is not a good thing.

Hope others had better luck at their BBQ then I did at mine... there's always next time!

I guess we all have to learn that our eyes really are bigger than our bellies. I had a quiet 4th and have learned to just stop eating when I feel full. Taking that one more bite makes me too uncomfortable. When I'm with others who are eating, I find sipping crystal lite lemonaide satisfies me and keeps me away from all the food.< /span>

I was amazed I did fine this time at the BBQ. There was so much good food, but I really

only took about a teas. of the things I wanted. I surely didn't want that foaming and sliming to start. That is something that once you have a couple of times, you try really hard to only eat a little bit because it's so miserable.

I was amazed I did fine this time at the BBQ. There was so much good food, but I really

only took about a teas. of the things I wanted. I surely didn't want that foaming and sliming to start. That is something that once you have a couple of times, you try really hard to only eat a little bit because it's so miserable.

Glad you did so good Daisy!!! I think I'll do much better the next time. I think most of my problem was the fact that I had just gotten off liquids to mushies and I wanted to try everything. Next time, I'll stick to just those things I really want and not think I want everything

I did OK actually. I wasn't sure I would but worked out alright. Husband & I and 2 other couples went to 2 movies (a movie marathon as we call it). They all had a huge buttered popcorn and drinks. I was nervous. I took 2 bottles of Water and 2 individual 1.5 oz bags of Jerky. I was not even tempted for popcorn. The jerky was wonderful. I was so proud of myself. I ate the jerky and was very satisfied. We came back to the house and had BBQ ribs and then watched fireworks later. I ate maybe a Tablespoon of baked Beans and a slice of tomatoe. It ended as a very good day. Now bring on Thanksgiving. Oh my...

I did OK actually. I wasn't sure I would but worked out alright. Husband & I and 2 other couples went to 2 movies (a movie marathon as we call it). They all had a huge buttered popcorn and drinks. I was nervous. I took 2 bottles of Water and 2 individual 1.5 oz bags of Jerky. I was not even tempted for popcorn. The jerky was wonderful. I was so proud of myself. I ate the jerky and was very satisfied. We came back to the house and had BBQ ribs and then watched fireworks later. I ate maybe a Tablespoon of baked Beans and a slice of tomatoe. It ended as a very good day. Now bring on Thanksgiving. Oh my...

Very good! I am not ever tempted by the popcorn as it doesn't settle well with me and I gave up soft drinks 25 years ago ... baked Beans and sliced tomatoe sounds wonderful.

As for TG ... I have a cruise the first week of September to get through before facing Thanksgiving ... luckily since my DF is having the surgery, too, we won't be spending all our time on the Lido Deck or in the dining room...although I do hope to taste some local carribbean food during our onshore excursions. Wonder if they allow doggy bags back on the ship?

It is amazing how difficult it is to give up some of our old habits. I still load my plate up with food every night at dinner. My hubby and kids tease me about it, knowing I won't even be able to eat a quarter of what I put on there. I know I won't be able to either, but I still pile it on because I don't want to feel like I am depriving myself. Most of it ends up going in the fridge and I take it for lunch the next day.

I wish I could convince my friend that what she is experiencing is head hunger. She said she is so hungry since getting the sleeve. I asked her if her stomach is growling and she said no, it's just that she thinks about what can I eat next. It's funny that for those of us who are overweight, food stays in our thoughts. Those thin people who have never had to watch their weight, probably don't think about food the way we do. Then there are those lucky people who eat whatever and whenever they want, and never gain weight.

I know since getting my sleeve, I think about food way less. It's definitely not an obsession for me the way it used to be.

Edited by Oregondaisy

I'm sure its like a band and that once you're entirely healed and back to normal, you can push it a *tiny* bit more than normal on special occasions but you'll have a point which you just cant go past. Over time, the desire to push that point does evaporate a lot becuase you just dont want to feel the way it makes you feel - it may not be that you are actually sick, but nobody really wants to go around all the time feeling like they just at a huge Christmas dinner!

And over time, then you connect that its actually about the social occasion, not the food. I mean, I am always baffled when people post about "how do I handle going out to eat" or "its such a waste of money". Well, its simple. You go out, you order something you fancy, you eat till you're satisfied. Going out with family or friends is NOT about getting your money's worth with a stomachful or rich food! If you look at it like it costs you $20 to go out, have a drink, a bite and catch up with friends, who the heck CARES if there's food left over. Here, we dont get to take doggybags, its against health regulations and I honestly couldnt give a fat rats a** about leaving food behind that I paid for.

You do get there, truly. And its very liberating when you do.

I'm sure its like a band and that once you're entirely healed and back to normal, you can push it a *tiny* bit more than normal on special occasions but you'll have a point which you just cant go past. Over time, the desire to push that point does evaporate a lot becuase you just dont want to feel the way it makes you feel - it may not be that you are actually sick, but nobody really wants to go around all the time feeling like they just at a huge Christmas dinner!

And over time, then you connect that its actually about the social occasion, not the food. I mean, I am always baffled when people post about "how do I handle going out to eat" or "its such a waste of money". Well, its simple. You go out, you order something you fancy, you eat till you're satisfied. Going out with family or friends is NOT about getting your money's worth with a stomachful or rich food! If you look at it like it costs you $20 to go out, have a drink, a bite and catch up with friends, who the heck CARES if there's food left over. Here, we dont get to take doggybags, its against health regulations and I honestly couldnt give a fat rats a** about leaving food behind that I paid for.

You do get there, truly. And its very liberating when you do.

Thank you -- I really needed to hear that and it gives me hope that I won't feel this way forever.

Knowing I can't eat a lot has really liberated me at social gatherings. I am not shoving food in my face as fast as I can as often as I can do I actually get to *talk* to people and concentrate on them. I thought I was before, but I clearly wasn't.

It is pretty cool that social events have now actually become about the socializing, and not the food.< /span>

Same thing happened to me! I am trying to put some variety into my limited diet selections and got a little too over zealous! I immediately went from a resting heart beat of 80 to a racing 125 in 5 minutes! It was so uncomfortable and scary feeling. I wrote Gaby at Dr. A's office. This is what she sent back in case this happens to you! (Note: she wrote back at 10PM...not that's service!)

Re: NEW SYMPTOM-RAPID HEART BEAT

Patients usually report a rapid heart beat when they are too full or feeling like something is stuck

the sensation usually last 30 min.

they report that if they drink Water the pain feels worse

Drink and eat slowly (most patients report being able to eat only small quantities of food 2 or 4 oz )

Try to recognize the feeling of fullness. Then stop eating at once. Indications of fullness may be:

A feeling of pressure or fullness in the center of your abdomen just below the rib cage.

Never eat and drink at the same time: This can cause you a lot of pain. The reduced capacity of the stomach will no longer permit to take in both: liquid and food at the same time.

It could be this....or it could be something else

The doctor suggest you have a check up with your local doctor just to make sure everything is fine

please keep us updated

Gaby

Re: NEW SYMPTOM-RAPID HEART BEAT

Patients usually report a rapid heart beat when they are too full or feeling like something is stuck

I haven't noticed a rapid heartbeat, however, my heart beats fast anyway and always has for some reason - although all tests show my heart is very healthy - go figure.

the sensation usually last 30 min.

they report that if they drink Water the pain feels worse

OH you got that right -- in fact, if I take even one sip, I ususally end up throwing the beverage up.

Drink and eat slowly (most patients report being able to eat only small quantities of food 2 or 4 oz )

I don't have a choice - not even sure I can get in 2 oz at a time yet.

Try to recognize the feeling of fullness. Then stop eating at once. Indications of fullness may be:

A feeling of pressure or fullness in the center of your abdomen just below the rib cage.

I get a sharp pain in my left shoulder blade/back area and stop immediately -- I've learned that is my full signal.

Never eat and drink at the same time: This can cause you a lot of pain. The reduced capacity of the stomach will no longer permit to take in both: liquid and food at the same time.

It could be this....or it could be something else

The doctor suggest you have a check up with your local doctor just to make sure everything is fine please keep us updatedGaby

I've received responses from Gaby and Nina at all hours of the day and night -- I swear they must never sleep!

It is pretty cool that social events have now actually become about the socializing, and not the food.

The other thing is that we don't have to worry about getting stuck if we do dare to eat at social events. Nothing like excusing yourself to go slime and puke. :001_tt2:/