Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did it, i did it, i did it

Finally! I found some motivation and actually started exercising today. I walked 2 miles this morning and plan on doing 2 to 3 this evening. I hope it doesnt matter if at first I break up the recommended 60 min into 2 separate sesions, I dont get bored with it so fast and the time goes by quickly and seems to fit into my schedule better. Do I like exercising more now?,,,,uh NO. Will I continue, well lets hope and pray. I DO want this to become a habit that I dont mind doing and hope it makes the scale move downward faster. Lets pray I can continue to find some more motivation.:thumbup:

Finally! I found some motivation and actually started exercising today. I walked 2 miles this morning and plan on doing 2 to 3 this evening. I hope it doesnt matter if at first I break up the recommended 60 min into 2 separate sesions, I dont get bored with it so fast and the time goes by quickly and seems to fit into my schedule better. Do I like exercising more now?,,,,uh NO. Will I continue, well lets hope and pray. I DO want this to become a habit that I dont mind doing and hope it makes the scale move downward faster. Lets pray I can continue to find some more motivation.:thumbup:

You are doing it the right way. Studies show that doing exercise 3 times a day for 20 minutes is more beneficial than 1 hour at a time. You need to break a sweat, once you do you are seriously burning calories.

Good, because I did break a sweat and did those 2 miles in 30 min. I felt the muscles in my legs twinging afterwards too so I know it had some effect. Thanks for the input Wassa!

Good job Ruthi! Find someone to walk with and it will be more enjoyable.

WAY TO GO GIRL -- I'm so proud of you!! Bob and I are trying to walk every day; however, it's getting so hot here - even at 6:30 in the morning it's in the 90s.

We also went bike riding the other night and I did okay with that except for my knees, but that's always a problem due to the bone-on-bone issue.

Keep up the good work - you may never like it - but it may become a habit!

How soon after surgery can you start to work out?

Dr. Aceves recommends walking as soon as possible - fast walking - not the walking you do after surgery -- and other exercise as you can tolerate it - however, nothing which requires lifting anything over 15 lbs. for 6 weeks. I walk, ride bikes and will start using my Malibu pilates chair this weekend when I can get DF to move it to the middle of the room for me.

Walking is a great place to start. My PCP says that walking is actually the best exercise one can do.

Great job! :thumbup1:

I am one who doesn't like exercise either. It's funny, too, because all through my school years I played volleyball & softball and was very active. I still love playing today although it's much harder for me. But as far as "exercise" goes, I HATE it! I'm hoping to incorporate different activities as exercise...maybe I'll learn to love it. (fingers crossed)

I like elliptical walking machine in gym or walking in the pool and swimming. I can not tolerate the heat/humidity so do all my exercise in the airconditioned gym with a fan blowing on me or in the pool.

I have to have the fan blowing on me at the gym too. I freak out if all the fans are taken.

WAY TO GO GIRL -- I'm so proud of you!! Bob and I are trying to walk every day; however, it's getting so hot here - even at 6:30 in the morning it's in the 90s.

We also went bike riding the other night and I did okay with that except for my knees, but that's always a problem due to the bone-on-bone issue.

Keep up the good work - you may never like it - but it may become a habit!

I look forward to riding a bike but that can't happen until after the knees are replace (1st week in Sept). I only have 90 degree bend in the left knee and less than that in the right knee so there is no way I can get the pedals to move now.

I look forward to riding a bike but that can't happen until after the knees are replace (1st week in Sept). I only have 90 degree bend in the left knee and less than that in the right knee so there is no way I can get the pedals to move now.

I can relate -- it's not excruitiatingly painful yet - although it may get there in time -- if it gets too painful, I'll stop riding and resort to walking.

My orthopod is trying to get me to at least 55 before having to have bialteral knee replacements ... so far he's done pretty good - only certain activities really bother them and I'm sure taking off the weight won't hurt anything either!

He wants you to wait til that age because the knee replacement is only good for 10 years. I figure why wait if you can benefit now? If all else fails, it's possible to have a 2nd replacement (which is misnomer word anyway) if you absolutely have to. I'd rather be able to do the stuff I want to do now and not wait until I'm any older to have such a surgery. I may be too old in other ways if I were to wait, kwim? I don't need knee replacement, but am just saying IF I did I'd go for it before hitting 55, if I were you. Of course this is just my opinion, and I'm already 60 so I do know what I'm talking about age-wise.

My surgeon told me the replacements were good for 25 years or more and I agree with you. The quality of my life is going to be so much better once I get new knees. now that cortisone injections no longer are effective and the pain is constant, it's definitely MY time to have the surgery.

My surgeon told me the replacements were good for 25 years or more and I agree with you. The quality of my life is going to be so much better once I get new knees. now that cortisone injections no longer are effective and the pain is constant, it's definitely MY time to have the surgery.

The shots are still working pretty good for me - last ones I had were in November and I'm not in pain so that is good for me. Once the shots quit working, or don't work for very long, I will seriously begin the process of replacements ...although I REALLY hate the thought of surgery... and having surgery in Las Vegas.