Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Signs of fullness

I was banded 9/11. I am still figuring out my body and signs but I was wondering what are some of the signs that you're full? I get a ball like feeling near the bottom of my sternum and in a few burps I feel better. Is that a full feeling?

We don't look for full feelings, we look for satiety. The band won't stop you from overeating all foods but it can make you feel satisfied with less food. You're still in the healing phase and probably won't find or recognize some of the signals till you heal and can eat solids.

If you're feeling a ball like feeling near your sternum you should call your doctor or at least slow down how much you're eating. Give the liquids time to pass through your swollen stoma.

tmf

I guess ball feeling was bad descriptive. More like a pressure after eating an most of the day. I only take in about 2oz-2.5 oz of purée food at a meal. I also take at least 30 min to eat. Maybe my body's angry over my lactose intolerance and living on diary for 5 days... But when I do get to that point? What does it feel like when one over eats without throwing up?

We usually call this a stuck episode. And it feels like a golf ball is stuck under your sternum. You want to avoid this as it can eventually stretch your pouch and/or your esophagus. You're still very swollen from surgery and maybe you should stick to liquids or Clear Liquids till the swelling goes down.

Your surgeon just stripped away excess fat around your stomach with a cauterizing scalpel, then wrapped a plastic strap around the neck and then brought up part of your stomach to overlap the band and sutured it into place. I know we're told this is not major surgery but your stomach might disagree.

We've seen many new bandster's post that they can't drink anything post surgery due to the swelling. And, more and more, it seems that surgeons are filling the band with a few CC's of saline where in the past most did not add any saline at all. If this continues, call your doc.

tmf

I have nothing in my band. My md won't fill it do at least 6 weeks. my md put me on purée because I was not physically tolerating clear or full liquids. I was getting little to no nutrition. I have had this feeling since waking up from surgery. Along with crazy burping. Even before taking any fluids... Hmmm

I have never felt full with the band....i simply do not, and cannot eat anymore....it is as though I walk around all day long with the "Mental" thought, feeling, that I have jus finished a 5 course meal, even if I have not eaten anything since the day before....

The band tells my brain I am full, MENTALLY...so I do not have an interest in eating, or food....so no hunger or cravings....my tatstes have also changed...things do not taste the way the used to and after one bite I spit it out....

can you recall, say at a Thanksgiving dinner, where you ate so much that when someone put another slice of pie in front of you you waved it off and said you cannot possibly eat another ounce? Well, I have that feeling all day long, menatlly not physically, 24 hours a day.....

But you were just banded this month.....it took me a few months and a few good fills to get to that point....and even then I had to learn to understand and adapt to what was happening.

I have never felt full with the band....i simply do not' date=' and cannot eat anymore....it is as though I walk around all day long with the "Mental" thought, feeling, that I have jus finished a 5 course meal, even if I have not eaten anything since the day before....

The band tells my brain I am full, MENTALLY...so I do not have an interest in eating, or food....so no hunger or cravings....my tatstes have also changed...things do not taste the way the used to and after one bite I spit it out....

can you recall, say at a Thanksgiving dinner, where you ate so much that when someone put another slice of pie in front of you you waved it off and said you cannot possibly eat another ounce? Well, I have that feeling all day long, menatlly not physically, 24 hours a day.....

But you were just banded this month.....it took me a few months and a few good fills to get to that point....and even then I had to learn to understand and adapt to what was happening.[/quote']

I so look forward to that feeling...

After my surgery (8/12) I had those uncontrollable LOUD hiccups that came out of nowhere and the sternum pain my doctor said it was my stomach muscles contracting and or trapped gas trying to escape. Each day I heal they go away more now when my stomach is empty and when my stomach gets full is the only time mine does it.

I was banded 9/11. I am still figuring out my body and signs but I was wondering what are some of the signs that you're full? I get a ball like feeling near the bottom of my sternum and in a few burps I feel better. Is that a full feeling?

I was banded the same day as you and I have a similar thing going on! I get these "bubbles" and they are painful for a second, then I let out a burp and I feel SOOOO much better! I try to take this as a sign to slow down on my liquid consumption. I'm still getting used to all the signs and signals my band is giving me but it's tough! I think we will both have a better idea when we are all healed and having more normal experiences.