Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Talking to my PCP

I don't know how to talk to my doctor about needing the lap band. When I initially started to think about doing the lap band in October 2011, I let my doctor know but she was kind of dismissive because she didn't really know the process and at that time I wasn't ready either. Now I am, and it is something I really need to get done. Yes I want to lose weight to look better, but I want to feel better mostly. I want to sleep better, breathe easier, and not be in pain all the time. I go to the seminar on the 21st but I'm not sure if I need to make an appointment with my doctor first and then go to the seminar or go to the seminar and then make an appointment with my doctor. My husband is Active Duty Army, and I have Tricare Prime (remote) since we are not close to a post. Fort Benning is the closest and it is an hour and a half away. I have already been diagnosed with sleep apnea and try to use a CPAP, I have asthma that isn't managed well with medication, and severe joint pain. My BMI is 41.1. Any advice would be helpful to talk to my doctor and help her understand the process.

Thanks

Ultimately, the decision is yours. You pay her salary, explain why you want to procedure and if she isn't on board find someone who is. You qualify for the surgery and with your BMI and comorbids your insurance will likely not deny it. I would go to the seminar first, then go to your PCP with your new found knowledge and literature on the procedure. Again, if she won't recommend it, go to a doctor who is pro-band. This forum is huge and I've heard of a few physicians who have been banded. You just might run into someone at the seminar that can refer you to a new PCP if that's what you have to do.

I am so glad I had this done! It has made a huge difference in my life after such a short period of time. I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and Severe Obstructive sleep Apnea this year and both of those conditions have improved tremendously since I've been banded. Not only that, my blood pressure is a textbook 120/80 and I can't say enough about the confidence I have, the compliments I get and the heads that I am starting to turn. You've done enough research to know that this is something you can do to change your life for the better, now go for it and don't let anyone stand in your way.

Good luck and stay in touch!

My advice given you are on military insurance is to call the insurance company and find out if they cover this type of surgery. I know with that type of coverage there are some restrictions, so find that information out first, and then pursue further with your doctors.

Many surgeons have a free seminar you can attend to get more information and many offer free consultations where you can get lots of information. Make a list of questions you might have and don't be afraid to ask them. Attending a seminar or meeting for a free consult does not mean you have to choose that doctor.

The more information you have the better off you will be as you go forward. Find a doctor that is familiar with your type of insurance as well that helps with all the pre-op testing.

Best of luck to you!

My husband is military you pcp has to be on board with the surgery my dr. Was the one to point out to me that I can have the surgery. We started our six month diet plan and I went to the seminar and choice my surgeon . About 8 months later I finally got banded and now nearly 40 lbs lighter! Good luck

I don't know how to talk to my doctor about needing the lap band. When I initially started to think about doing the lap band in October 2011' date=' I let my doctor know but she was kind of dismissive because she didn't really know the process and at that time I wasn't ready either. Now I am, and it is something I really need to get done. Yes I want to lose weight to look better, but I want to feel better mostly. I want to sleep better, breathe easier, and not be in pain all the time. I go to the seminar on the 21st but I'm not sure if I need to make an appointment with my doctor first and then go to the seminar or go to the seminar and then make an appointment with my doctor. My husband is Active Duty Army, and I have Tricare Prime (remote) since we are not close to a post. Fort Benning is the closest and it is an hour and a half away. I have already been diagnosed with sleep apnea and try to use a CPAP, I have asthma that isn't managed well with medication, and severe joint pain. My BMI is 41.1. Any advice would be helpful to talk to my doctor and help her understand the process.

Thanks[/quote']

Hey I am trustee prime and I can almost guarantee you will be approved. Like I told you earlier push the health part when talking to doc. Some think this is the last way out and act like we're spending their money. Doc should write referral and trustee WILL APPROVE!!!!! Chat with me via email if you prefer ibsoldout@gmail.com. having surgery will cost like$25 first post op has a copay all others...none ($) having surgery on Monday

My PCP is a size zero hyper maniac woman who doesn't understand obesity. I LOVE her for her expertise, intelligence, education and thoroughness however she just does not understand how my lifelong struggle with obesity (starting at the age of 10) and the efforts/money (starting with being put into Weight Watchers in 6th grade) have lead to where I am now. Her suggestion was to do the Eat to Live diet. 1 lb of raw vegetables, 1 lb of cooked veg and minimal Protein for each meal. Ok, that would work however how realistic is that? I am an outside sales person and quite literally, I have to take people to lunch and sometimes dinner every day. I can and have made "good" choices. Her argument is that WLS doesn't work. If she wasn't SO GOOD from a medical perspective, wasn't so in tune (other than the obesity) and attentive I would fire her! But she is really good. (BTW, my boyfriend is a MD and he agrees at how good she is however he had to write my medical clearance letter because she wouldn't- yes he examined me and looked at the labs).So, bottom line, my experience is, if you PCP won't clear you and it is a legitimate need, find a PCP that will. Remember, it is your life, you own it and you are genuine in your efforts to improve your life.

I think you will be in a better place to speak to your pcp if you wait until after you go to an information seminar. This way, you can go to your pcp showing that you are doing research about the surgery. The weminar should also give you some facts that you will be able to share with your pcp. Good luck!!