Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Free" Tummy Tuck?

So, I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but has anyone gotten a Tummy Tuck that has been covered by their insurance after weight loss surgery and if so.....how long after did you get it done, how much weight did you have to lose, and what was the process to qualify.

I had a lengthy 11 month process to get banded but it was totally worth it as I got a free lap-band (completely covered by my insurance) and I was hoping to go the same route for a TT. I have heard that It can happen but I was wondering if anyone had any specific story.

Thank you in advance!!

Mine was covered but that is because it was deemed medically necessary.

I've had a history of very large hernias for the last decade. Last August I even had one become strangulated. Because of the severe damage to my abdominal wall due to the recurring hernias, losing 200 pounds, and the fact I had excess skin that hung below my pubic region my insurance covered a full Tummy Tuck combined with hernia repair.

From what I understand, my case is definitely the exception not the rule. Most people struggle just to have their Excess skin removal covered by insurance. It's extremely rare that a full tummy tuck is covered.

Best wishes.

My insurance will cover it due to the extreme amount of weight I have lost, in fact they will do it now, but I want to lost at least another 40 before I have it done. My insurance will cover my Tummy Tuck, the removal of the excess skin on my upper arms and lifting my breast because of the skin on skin is a risk for infection. I have already seen the plastic surgeon and my PCP keeps asking me. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

If you've had a C-Section a TT is covered by insurance. That's the route I'm taking.

I need my arms done and a TT too. I had a C-section, 28 years ago....wonder if that still counts? I haven't even looked into what my insurance will cover. I still have 20 pounds to lose to get to goal; my surgeon tells me probably 5-7 pounds of that is skin....yuck.

It depends on your insurance, actually. Not all will cover it.

In fact, most won't cover a Tummy Tuck at all for any reason, only a panniculectomy (skin removal). A large number that will cover a panniculectomy will only cover it if the pannis hangs below the pubic line and/or there's a documented skin breakdown because of it. Some will cover it for massive weight loss, too.

But unfortunately, it's all dependent on your insurance company as well as your employer's stipulations on the policy.

it all depends on your insurance.... My insurance didn't pay... so i did out of pocket and it was $8800 for everything......

I have also heard that in some cases if there is xtream amount of skin that Burn centers will do a skin removal for the donation of the skin..... just an FYI...

If you've had a C-Section a TT is covered by insurance. That's the route I'm taking.

that also depends on your insurance..... i had 2 c-sections and insurance would not cover.

Wow ladies...sorry to put the insurance covered TT out there like that. I guess God just keeps smiling on me, I've already gotten mine approved through BCBS simply because I had a C-Section.

i say.... Good for you... i wish mine would have covered it... id be 8800 buck richer... lol

what insurance do you have? if you don't mind me asking

I have BCBS of Louisiana

Hi prettythick1- congrats on your TT

What insurance do you have? I have horizon blue cross n blue shield .. What was the reasoning ur doc gave them? I have a while to go but I am just curious! Tksss

Mine were covered due to the psychological affect it has on me. If you suffer from major depression and anxiety due to the extra skin a psychologist / psychiatrist can refer you to a surgeon and recommend surgery. This may enable you to be placed on a public list or at least your insurance will cover it then.