Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay sooo...being the anxious one that I am I decided to do a fast. I have my 3rd appointment with the Nutritionist tomorrow and I decided to fast for a few days. (hoping to shed a lb or two before my next weigh in) Anywho, my fast is basically made of liquids and prayer...much emphasis on the prayer part! I only drink chicken broth, crystal light, a couple Slim Fast shakes, and plain Water. I'm trying this out also in prep for when I'll have my pre- op diet. This is really teaching me about my relationship with food. This is just my second day and I feel ok, I guess. Kinda like I'm on auto pilot...I'm on the plane, but not flying it. Is that normal? For those of you that have actually done the real pre-op liquid diet, how did you feel by day two? I only plan on doing this for another day (totaling a whopping 3 days) and then I'll be back to solids, but if I can handle this I think I might make this a monthly or weekly thing... just to push myself. I feel like this whole banding transition is like an extreme life change and the fact that I can never seem to do anything in moderation has led me to want to fast just to really put into perspective the change that is to come. Am I doing too much too soon? I apologize if I may seem all over the place, but this is truly the longest that I have been off of solids since I was an infant, lol lolbvvs! Any and all input is welcome. (Oh but please be nice, after all I haven't eaten and I'm liable to fly off the handle:0) Okay time for another sip of broth. Later!

I was surprised the pre-op diet ended up being easier than I had imagined. I was able to have 3 to 4 Meal Replacement shakes, 1 Protein bar and all the Clear Liquids I could handle. I did learn some about my relationship with food (still am), but I couldn't believe how well I did even my husband was surprised. I found that as long as I had something in my mouth I was ok. So maybe I never got pass the sucking thumb phase :lol: , but it is true I have to be chewing or drinking something so I've replaced the food I use to use with crystal light and gum. It has been working so far. Sounds like you have a good handle on things you should do great. Good luck. And by the way I was all over the place a lot before my surgery.

~~~Stephanie

I was surprised the pre-op diet ended up being easier than I had imagined. I was able to have 3 to 4 Meal Replacement shakes, 1 Protein bar and all the Clear Liquids I could handle. I did learn some about my relationship with food (still am), but I couldn't believe how well I did even my husband was surprised. I found that as long as I had something in my mouth I was ok. So maybe I never got pass the sucking thumb phase :lol: , but it is true I have to be chewing or drinking something so I've replaced the food I use to use with crystal light and gum. It has been working so far. Sounds like you have a good handle on things you should do great. Good luck. And by the way I was all over the place a lot before my surgery.

~~~Stephanie

Thanks Stephanie!! I'm glad to hear how successful you were!! Congrats to you!! Did you miss eating food during that time, though??

Okay sooo...being the anxious one that I am I decided to do a fast. I have my 3rd appointment with the Nutritionist tomorrow and I decided to fast for a few days. (hoping to shed a lb or two before my next weigh in) Anywho, my fast is basically made of liquids and prayer...much emphasis on the prayer part! I only drink chicken broth, crystal light, a couple Slim Fast shakes, and plain Water. I'm trying this out also in prep for when I'll have my pre- op diet. This is really teaching me about my relationship with food. This is just my second day and I feel ok, I guess. Kinda like I'm on auto pilot...I'm on the plane, but not flying it. Is that normal? For those of you that have actually done the real pre-op liquid diet, how did you feel by day two? I only plan on doing this for another day (totaling a whopping 3 days) and then I'll be back to solids, but if I can handle this I think I might make this a monthly or weekly thing... just to push myself. I feel like this whole banding transition is like an extreme life change and the fact that I can never seem to do anything in moderation has led me to want to fast just to really put into perspective the change that is to come. Am I doing too much too soon? I apologize if I may seem all over the place, but this is truly the longest that I have been off of solids since I was an infant, lol lolbvvs! Any and all input is welcome. (Oh but please be nice, after all I haven't eaten and I'm liable to fly off the handle:0) Okay time for another sip of broth. Later!

I just had surgery one week ago so I am on liquids only right now and for another week. I am someone who fast once a week as part of the prayer team at my church it is just something I choose to do. As far as pre-op diets, because I had lost so much weight my liver was in very good shape thus I was not required to do a 2 week diet only 2 days. I am feeling super fantastic! In fact going back to the gym today, with many limitations. But I think this is a question for your doctor. I personally see no problem with it, but I am not a doctor! Have a blessed day and may all go well for you!

Alright, first the positive and than feedback...

It is great that you are motivated to put yourself on a healthy track and taking measures to prepare yourself. I wish you all the success :)

However, I wanted to play psychoanalyst for a minute. After reading this statement "I feel like this whole banding transition is like an extreme life change and the fact that I can never seem to do anything in moderation has led me to want to fast just to really put into perspective the change that is to come" I wanted to talk to you a little about reframing your mindset so that you can be successful with the band.

Prior to being banded, the concept of going on a liquid diet for a day,nontheless for weeks, can be overwhelming. It starts from day one, an opportunity to fail ourselves. So many people feel disappointed because by day 3 they find themselves eating a morsel here and there because they can't resist. This disappointment starts a downward spiral of feeling like they are failures, that they can't do anything, that this will somehow prevent them from getting the surgery. It's almost like self-sabotage. Something all of use are experts at. And it all starts in the mind. What is necessary is to understand, health is only accomplished through moderation and accepting setbacks. This is not another diet that you have to be 100% on. Nothing about this change is extreme, it's merely a change. It requires adaptation and flexiblity as well as patience. But it's not extreme. If we start telling ourselves something's extreme, it makes it hard and hard can be a challenge that most likely results in failure. Instead, invest some time into learning how to retrain your mind to practice balance and moderation. If you are only going in one direction, setbacks (ie gaining a lb) is defeating. If you think eating 100% clean is the only thing tolerable, the time you cheat will feel like failure. And it's not. Learning how to eat in moderation is the whole key to the band. In time you will eat like normal but in moderation. You still need to control frequency, but small bites of icecream, or an occassional fav food will not hurt you and should be incorporated into the plan. Learn to accept that this normal, that fluctuations will exist and none of it is wrong or a failure. When you liberate yourself of this pressure, you will learn that is the key to success.

Thanks Stephanie!! I'm glad to hear how successful you were!! Congrats to you!! Did you miss eating food during that time, though??

I think I knew it was only going to be for a certain amount of time and not forever so I did not really miss anything. I was really so excited about being so close to being banded and I knew I was going to be able to have those foods eventually. But I do have to admit I have a yogurt and granola fetish and I did miss not having that for the next month. :) I did have one incident on post-op too. My husband brought home Chinese with my consent and I broke down and took a bite when I was on liquids. I felt so bad :( .

~~~Stephanie

Years ago, long before being banded, I did a 10 day liquid "fast/cleanse". After about the third day, I felt AMAZING -- Tons of energy, and it lasted for the rest of the 10 days! The thing I really learned from that fast was that all the CRAP I was putting in my body was like ingesting poison.

Being banded now, I don't feel the need to fast, I eat so little now, that I want what I do eat to be healthy fuel.

I don't call your current activity a true fast, but it will be good practice for the pre-op and post-op diets.

True fasting... Water only is dangerous over the long haul. You are having surgery so you can learn to eat normal foods and me a normal person. It is a life change, but not a life time diet.

I personally don't see anything wrong with an occasional fast. It does help liberate you from the pull of food. I have done it, and felt 100% better. I do agree with hazelsbliss...don't put too many expectations on yourself. Perfect will never be attainable. You will have to learn to live long term with your band, you should make it a positive tool.

I was surprised the pre-op diet ended up being easier than I had imagined. I was able to have 3 to 4 meal replacement shakes, 1 Protein bar and all the clear liquids I could handle. I did learn some about my relationship with food (still am), but I couldn't believe how well I did even my husband was surprised. I found that as long as I had something in my mouth I was ok. So maybe I never got pass the sucking thumb phase :lol: , but it is true I have to be chewing or drinking something so I've replaced the food I use to use with crystal light and gum. It has been working so far. Sounds like you have a good handle on things you should do great. Good luck. And by the way I was all over the place a lot before my surgery.

~~~Stephanie

That is very encouraging! My second nutrition visit is today!