Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting cold feet! Surgery date July 24th

Everyone is trying to talk me out of this. I have lost 175 pounds on my own, but I have been stalled for the past year. I really want to lose another 80 pounds or so. It's getting close and I have major cold feet. Am I doing the right thing or should I continue on my own? Oh help me see past all of this!

First off I think it is amazing that you have done so well on your own... can you only imagine what you will be able to do with a tool like the band? In the end it is your decision to choose but think of all the positives you will gain. You must already have great self control to have lost what you have and I think you will do great with the band. Granted there is some down time after surgery but I think with the will power and strength you have.. you will be on your feet losing that 80 pounds you have left! Best wishes to whatever you decide but remember you have many people on here to support you either way!!! :D

Who's the "everyone" trying to talk you out of weight loss surgery? Have any of them actually had weight loss surgery? Have any of them lost 255, 175, or even 100 lbs by any method? And if they lost that weight "on their own", without weight loss surgery, how long have they maintained their weight loss?

I think it's wonderful that you've lost 175 lbs on your own, and losing another 80 lbs is a worthwhile goal, but if you've been stalled for a year, I'm not sure the on-your-own approach is going to take care of that last 80 lbs any time soon.

On the other hand, you do need to be realistic about what adjustable gastric band surgery will do for you. It's not going to turn the weight loss switch back on for you. When properly adjusted, the band will provide you with early and prolonged satiety, but good food choices, Portion Control, dealing with emotional eating urges, and exercising will go on being your own responsibility.

I won't try to persuade you to go ahead with surgery or give up the idea forever. I hope that losing 175 lbs has already given you many health benefits, and I would hate for you to consider yourself a failure if you don't lose the additional 80 lbs.

Good luck!

Once upon a time, I lost 120 pounds on Nutri System. In time, I fell off of the wagon and proceeded to gain back 200 pounds! I then had a RNY 7 years later. I lost 100 of those 200 pounds, but then plateaued. The good news is, even with my broken (stretched stoma), I have never gained that weight back. I am bout to have a band placed around my bypass so I can lose the rest of my weight. Only you know what will be best for you, but I would do whatever I could to keep the rebound gain from taking over.

Everyone has a different story but sound similar.....

I had once lost 174lbs then gained it all back plus another 90+. I went from 393 to 219 then up to 488 all in a 10 year period.

Now I'm not sure what your circumstances are and who is telling you what but the way I see it is, you are the one to carry the weight and you are the one to live with the choices you make.

Wonderful you lost so much weight on your own. I have never been successful doing that without pills or something else. I have never kept off any real weight loss for more than a few months and the Band is the best. It helps me not to eat the extra large portions of food. I don't eat all the fried crap I use to eat either. Listen to you and only you not to other people. They don't live in your head or body, you do.

I wish you luck with what ever you decide to do.

I was having second thoughts too about having the surgery. I was scheduled for surgery on the 25th of this month and I cancelled it. I plan on working on myself for the next 6 months and reading up more on the Lap Band. I have no regrets on my decision. I know some people will be upset with me for not going through with it, but oh well. I want to make sure this procedure is going to be right for me. I know it is not going to be a quick fix; it is not going to help me stop eating. It is a tool that is going to help me feel satisfied. I am still going to have to watch what I eat and count calories. Even with the lap band I am not guaranteed weight loss… Don't feel rushed into making a decision. You can always reschedule your surgery. That is how I came to my final decision. Good Luck.

Your weight loss has inspired me!!

I was having second thoughts too about having the surgery. I was scheduled for surgery on the 25th of this month and I cancelled it. I plan on working on myself for the next 6 months and reading up more on the Lap Band. I have no regrets on my decision. I know some people will be upset with me for not going through with it, but oh well. I want to make sure this procedure is going to be right for me. I know it is not going to be a quick fix; it is not going to help me stop eating. It is a tool that is going to help me feel satisfied. I am still going to have to watch what I eat and count calories. Even with the lap band I am not guaranteed weight loss… Don't feel rushed into making a decision. You can always reschedule your surgery. That is how I came to my final decision. Good Luck.

Your weight loss has inspired me!!

If you're not sure and you do it anyway that's a sure fire way to give yourself an excuse to quit while on the journey. I don't think anyone should judge you for taking time to make sure you are committed before jumping in. At least you are taking the time to consider the toll and what level of commitment you are willing to give. The lap band isn't 'easy' and if you come back six months later with a fresh 100% committed attitude than you will definitely succeed. It's the people that just commit to it half-ass and only do it because it's free that seem to fail the most. I applaud you for taking this seriously and researching your options. Good luck!

Thank you. Yes, I am taking it seriously. I have read all the material from the doctors office. That is why when people on this site ask what they should be drinking or eating after surgery, I'm shocked! I'm like WTH didn't you read your material? .. The lap band will not be free for me though, my insurance denied the surgery. I am going to finance it myself.

I was having cold feet and then I look at myself in the mirror and don't even recognize myself. I have always struggled with weight and after 3 kids it has taken its toll on me after the birth of my daughter I am at my highest weight ever. I'm disgusted with myself. I've often though what is wrong with me I lose weight then gain it back plus more. I'm tired of this game and I'm not getting any younger I spent my 20's struggling with weight I want my 30's(turn 30 in sept) to be happy and confident and comfortable in my own skin. My husband was very unsupportive until he saw how serious I am about this. I need a life change and a tool to help me get there to help me feel full. I can eat good but my portions are always too big and then ill pick at my kids bc I don't feel full. I have struggled and I can't believe surgery is in 2 weeks and today when I bought all my stuff for the liquid diet I questioned if this is the right thing for me. I know it is I want to be healthy and a hot mama lol.

As to the post above I think that people ask what to eat after surgery for tasty ideas. I got a vague list of foods to eat and to avoid but having input from what people have eaten who have been there is helpful to hear what may work and what hasn't so much.

Thank you one and all your positive input has been very helpful. One of my main things is I only have a 10% chance of keeping my weight off that I have lost so far. Only 1 out of 10 who lose 100+ pounds keep it off. I know the band is not a fix but a tool. My surgeon feels that with the good eating habits I now have and my workout routine the band will be a successful tool for me. I talked this over with my best guy friend today and he said if I do it good, if I don't that is fine to. But a couple other friends told me they were proud of me taking such a big step. So I think I'm moving forward with this. Less than 9 days to go!!

Certainly nothing wrong with taking your time and ponder all the options. Just do not let others decide your life for you. As for cold feet it is perfectly normal. I had reservations right up until I got wheeled into OR and my Surgeon asked me if I was ready. I spent about 8 months researching this and spent another 6 thanks to the insurance required supervised diet. Even after all that time I still got nervous going in.

In the end though I wouldn't change a thing.

Make the decision that is best for you. You've lost 175 lbs on your own. That tells me that your mind and your heart are geared towards a healthy lifestyle. The question is: do you personally feel like you will gain the weight back? Will you be satisfied with your progress once you've lost another 80? Are you doing this for health and not size alone? I have met people who were very successful with lap band and I've met some who never seem happy with their progress. No matter how much they've lost its never enough. I personally believe you will do well no matter what exactly choose as long as you do it for you and you alone. If you love yourself as you are, good decisions will follow no matter the path. I personally admire all you have accomplished on your own. If you choose the band, you will do well....if chosen in the name of health. If you choose not, I believe with continuous resolved and support you will be just fine. Whatever decision you make, be at peace with it and don't look back ....only forward.