Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Year Bandiversary

One Year Bandiversary

Well, I’m about here. Next Friday will be my one year mark since receiving the band.

<O:p</O:p

In this first year, I achieved 77% of my weight loss goal, going from 307 to 244 pounds, for a total loss of 63 pounds, leaving 19 more to go. The weight loss period is not over yet. Since I still have up to 2 years of potential weight loss left to go, I am confident I will get that last 19 pounds off, and realistically, had I followed all of the Bandster rules religiously, I am sure I would have already taken those pounds off, too.

How did the year go? I went from abject terror prior to surgery, full of fear from reading the various threads and claims about successes and failures, to an immediate sense that “everything would be alright” on the morning that I awoke from my really, not very invasive surgery. Sure, the incision from my port hurt a lot for the first two weeks. And the nausea I experienced for the first 10 was so monumental, that the memory still stays with me. But after that initial recovery period, I feel truly blessed to have had the opportunity to receive this life saving device.

Other than the occasional bout of having food that I shouldn’t eat, or that I ate to fast, come back up, I don’t have any side effects at all.

How did life get better, and what are those NSV’s that are always asked for at the one year mark? I have had many, many more than the ones listed below, but here are the ones that come to mind:

1)
My wife and I delivered a healthy baby boy

2)
My blood pressure went from around 154/100 to about 121 over 75

3)
My pulse went from an average of 110 to about 65-70

4)
My painful, swollen feet which were so bad that I couldn’t walk in the morning, are no longer swollen or painful. In fact, they’re just fine.

5)
My shortness of breath, which left me red and stressed and gasping after walking only a few blocks, is completely gone. Now when I go running with my dog, the dog runs out of energy well before I do.

6)
As my weight fell away, my physicality picked up to the point that I am much more active in my favorite sports, (i.e. karate, skiing, walking and running.) I can ski for 6 hours straight, and the only reason I get off the runs, is because the lifts close, not because my legs are tired, and not because I can’t breathe. Now I am planning on rock climbing, hiking, and biking. I would have never considered this before, and now I really look forward to it. In fact, I feel like I have to do it, because my other exercises seem to fall short in terms of trying to get my heart rate up, and trying to really get a good workout.

7)
My knees no longer hurt.

8)
At night, I used to gasp, and feel like I was suffocating. I had to lean up in bed in order to breathe. I used to snore really loud, and my dear wife just had to deal with it. Now, I don’t snore, and I don’t have any problem sleeping at night. In fact, I probably went from the worst, loudest snorer in my whole family, to the least, if at all.

9)
My waist dropped from a tight 46 to a tight 36. My shirt size went from an XXXL to an XL. I can now go to any store, and am still flummoxed when I select clothes, that I pick it from the MIDDLE of the range of sizes, rather than searching for ANYTHING that might be big enough for me. It also means I can now buy a pair of walking shorts at costco for $15 rather than paying $65 for an inferior quality pair at the big and tall store. I can go swimming with my kids now and be seen with my shirt off, and not feel embarrassed.

10)
My friends and co-workers tell me that I have never looked better. Old friends know that I look better now than I did 25 years ago.

Most of all, I look forward to what I hope will be a longer, healthier life, that I can share with my family. And it just keeps getting better.

My thanks to Doctor Layton Alldrege at the Sandy Medical Center</ST1:p, and to Vivienne Sullivan, his fill nurse, and the rest of his team. He has the most amazing practice, staff, and follow-through. I am thankful that I was fortunate enough to have chosen him and to receive his care.

post-204703-13813133267001_thumb.jpg

For the past five minutes I have sat here reading this, whispering "Wow" over and over again. They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, and yours certainly holds true. This is exactly why I was banded. Not to look hot, but to LIVE! Really LIVE!!

Brad, I am so deeply happy for you. Congratulations dear fellow. I pray this kind of life success for all of us bandsters. Thank you for sharing this. And...

Happy Bandiversary!

Now THAT is so cool. I'm inspired, and encouraged that my band journey has been just about as positive as yours has, if I would only look at it that way. Thanks for helping me focus on the positives. You rock! :rockon:

Happy Bandiversary! I hope when I get to mine I'll have as much success as you have. Congratulations and best wishes for a full, happy, active life! Cheers.

Wow, reading that gets me thinking about my two year bandiversary coming up and how wonderful my life has been these last two years....how lucky I am to have this tool.

Thank you for reminding me why I got the band and how great it really is.

Thanks for sharing this. My band will be "born" Tuesday morning. This reaffirms for me why I'm doing this.

Thank you--

Marianne

Brad, thank you so much for sharing this with us. And, of course, congratulations on your bandiversary. You are truly inspiring to those of us just beginning with our bands.

You made my day!! I have been in a little funk the last few weeks & I'm not sure why. Reading your great story has really lit a fire in me to KEEP GOING!! You are living the life you always wanted to live & I am so very, very happy for you. I am inspired by you. I love reading positive, happy posts like this. :)

Thank you so much for sharing Brad...great inspiration!!

Congrats!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Brad... You are truly living all the banddreams! Thank you for sharing and congratulations. :clap2:

Ahhh! Positive stories!! Success...now that's the kind of lap band talk I like.

Thanks, man! You're awesome!!! You'll get that 19 lbs. off in no time.

Go Brad! Go Brad! Go Brad!