Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you determine your goal?

What the topic says!

Did you go off of a pant / dress size?

A specific weight or BMI?

Or an ability goal point?

(to get off of meds / walk up stairs without breathing heavy / shop at a certain store)

Did some of us not have a goal in mind at all, just to lose weight and do what we can?

I'm just curious how others came to their decision on goal setting...

I went with BMI, because I honestly did not expect to be this successful. (I expected to lose maybe half of what I needed to.) Once I hit that BMI goal (and the corresponding weight for it), I started a new goal of "vanity pounds." If I lose that extra 20-25, I'll still be in the lower end of normal weight range and hopefully be pretty tone. It sure is slow going at that stage though! Oh, and I blew right through my size goal of an 8. I'm almost a 6 (which I've really never been as an adult), so I'm pretty happy with that.

Honestly...I set pretty low standard goals at my first Dr consultant. I told him that if I could lose 50 pounds and keep it off...I would consider the procedure and my efforts a success. Obviously keeping it off its a lifetime commitment but that 50 pounds came and went. I am now looking to a normal BMI which will take another 50 pounds or so. This will take work on my part. Bringing that effort everyday and being super patient with myself and the band. :)

My lowest weight (aside from birth) was 113. That was underweight for me. My highest was 225, and I've lived everywhere in between.

My goal is one that I can live with; not starve myself & not be a slave to it. That number (for me) is 150. I'll see how I feel when I get there, but I'm pretty darn sure it's going to be GREAT!!! For my age and frame, it's a realistic goal.

I was always heavy. I am sure everyone here is in the same boat. When I was a young pup I was tipping the scales at 250. After following a strict diet and thanks to a job that was physically demanding I slimmed down to my ideal weight at 200 pounds. Alas, over the decades I soon gained those fifty pounds back; and eventually hit 360 pounds.

My goal is to get back to 250 pounds. My doctor's staff tells me that realistically I shouldn't expect to lose more than 1/2 of the weight that would have put me at the recommended weight for my ideal BMI. That would be 280 pounds. But, I will keep trying... all I know is that even after losing 40 pounds since surgery I feel so much better and have more energy.

My medical BMI says 200; but I suspect the best I can hope for is 250, but I will settle for 280. All I know is that the band has renewed my hope for a better future and quality of life.

Current goal is BMI - about 27 - which would be a total loss of about 80 lbs or about 175 and still be overweight according to many standards.

Those "standards"......or, the infamous "chart", is so totally off and unrealistic. Those charts & standards say that I should be between 118-132. When I was 135, I was very thin. Not TOO thin, but thinner than what would look good on me at my age. My face would be totally drawn, and I would not look healthy.

I picked 135. I am 5'5". That would be a BMI of 22.5, and 5-10 lbs lighter than I was before I got fat. I plan to get my body fat percentage measured once I get under 150 lbs so I can adjust my goal if needed.

I decided I would be happy at 140. I also bought a party dress in my goal size(medium) on sale and have it hanging in my living room as everyday inspiration. I am 5'7 and 140 would put me at a bmi of 22.

What the topic says!

Did you go off of a pant / dress size?

A specific weight or BMI?

Or an ability goal point?

(to get off of meds / walk up stairs without breathing heavy / shop at a certain store)

Did some of us not have a goal in mind at all' date=' just to lose weight and do what we can?

I'm just curious how others came to their decision on goal setting...[/quote']

my goal is 150. I picked it BC I was 150 through put college, I think its maintainable

my goal is 150. I picked it BC I was 150 through out college' date=' I think its maintainable[/quote']

BMI's are very un-scientific and only us as a general indicator......I now a pro football player....a running back that is 20 lbs heavier than me, and would be considered overweight and borderline obese.....I don't think so...he has no body fat and has even been pictured in sports illustrated top less....

But to the OP's question...I had and met 3 goals...never imagining reaching even the first one....and yet I continued to loose..I asked my Dr. about goals and what does one do when you reach that goal....

Answer was that this is not a diet, where after reaching your goal you can let up on the self discipline....this is a permanent lifestyle change brought about by surgery andI would carry with me for the rest of my life...and my body will continue to loose fat whether I wanted it to or not, and eventually everything will reach an "equilibrium' of sorts, settling to where it should be with proper eating, nutrition and exercise.

And that is what happened to me....last time I saw him he told me "That's it" I have lost all the weight I am ever going to loose....any additional weight would not be healthy because it would not be fat but muscle....an indication poor nutrition and lack of Protein....true starvation....

I determined mine (thus far) based on wanting to weigh less than my husband, and by looking at mybodygallery.com - I'm 5'5 and settled on wanting to weigh about 170'ish when all is said and done :D (skin removal assuming to be needed).

I wanted to get back to what I was in high school which I fluctuated between 150 and 155 pounds. I'm proud to say that as of today. I'M THERE!!!!! (154 pounds woohoo!!!) But my complete goal is 150 which is overweight for my height but I don't care because of my body structure I'm still healthy. I never thought I would get this small again after having my children, being stressed out, and just living this thing called life. I am very happy with my weight loss. I was 231 before surgery and on the day of my surgery 12/17/10, I was 225. My journey has been hard as I can't e/ercise like I'd like too because of my arthritis. But anyway, that's how I set my goal because I loved the way I looked when I was in high school over 20+ years ago.

For me it is about getting back to a comfortable weight I was at in 2005. In 2003 I embarked on an Atkins journey where I ended up shedding a 170+ pounds. I let my guard down completely and put it all back on plus another 90 over the years. So my goal is 220 or under at which I would still be considered obese for guy my height. I am only 5'6. I believe BMI charts are unrealistic. So I don't bother with it. Comfortable and healthy in my own skin is all I want.