Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Flipped

Hello everyone I want to know have anyone had to get there port reposition due to it flipping completely over. I just had my second surgery Monday to fix that problem and they placed my port in my chest wall under my breast have anyone else had this done before I just want to know what to expect cause right now I have pain in that area and my belly cause I have 3 incision done can anyone help me with what I should do to make me feel better with this procedure. Sorry if my message may not sound right cause I'm under meds right cause I'm in do much pain. I was first band I'm September 27, 2012 and when I went to get my second fill that's when they notice the flipped band. Help me please

Ah, I love drugged txting!lol

Your story sounds like mine. My port flipped at my 2nd filling and I'm a little over 2wks from revision surgery.

My Dr made the incision right over my old port incision and it wasn't bad at all. My port is right under my left lower rib and the swelling is aggravating, but no longer painful. The first couple days it was sore, but pain meds worked really good,lol.

Hardest part is trying not to do something stupid and mess it up again. I think Dr probably has sewn it down with extra stitches.

He said, I was only his 2nd patient that this had happen to, out of 100's.

Just keep up with your meds and take care!

Thanks so much for that I needed that I'm up and about to do some walking with my husband today. And yes the pain meds is getting me through it all but thanks for the encouragement love.???€ Mrs.Gibbons

I too had lapband surgery on 9/27/12 and had my port revision yesterday I'm just wondering when will I be able to go back to work.

I too had lapband surgery on 9/27/12 and had my port revision yesterday I'm just wondering when will I be able to go back to work.

I'm retired so its hard for me to say, but it will be less time then your LBS.

Sorry I can't help you.

Interesting - I went for my first fill 7 weeks after the lapband placement and my port was almost completely upside down. He also told me I was only his second patient in 10 years. He did the revision right there in his office so he could do the fill. It is healing nicely and feels more like it should. I just hope it doesn't flip again.

I went back to work the next day, but had a rough day and actually went home. I think it was more the pain med than the actual pain from the incision. I didn't take any more meds after that first night.

With the placement in the ribcage area it will be easier to access and less likely to ever flip again.

I deal with IV ports in the chest. After the initial swelling and healing, they do quite well. I think you'll be surprised that it will become no big deal.

Good Luck and Speedy Recovery.

I am going back in two weeks after my follow up visit just to be on the safe side cause I read where ppl go back to work to soon and start feeling funny and I don't want that to happen to me.My job has FMLA that I'm using right now to protect my job so I'm just taking it easy and one day at time.

Interesting - I went for my first fill 7 weeks after the lapband placement and my port was almost completely upside down. He also told me I was only his second patient in 10 years. He did the revision right there in his office so he could do the fill. It is healing nicely and feels more like it should. I just hope it doesn't flip again.

I went back to work the next day' date=' but had a rough day and actually went home. I think it was more the pain med than the actual pain from the incision. I didn't take any more meds after that first night.

With the placement in the ribcage area it will be easier to access and less likely to ever flip again.

I deal with IV ports in the chest. After the initial swelling and healing, they do quite well. I think you'll be surprised that it will become no big deal.

Good Luck and Speedy Recovery.[/quote']

Thanks so much I'm praying that is the first and last time something like that happens again I hope once I go back to the dr. on the 20th of this month I will be able to get me my 2nd fill and everything start back like it should wish me luck.???

I went back to work the next day' date=' but had a rough day and actually went home. I think it was more the pain med than the actual pain from the incision. I didn't take any more meds after that first night.

Good Luck and Speedy Recovery.[/quote']

Thanks so much ???€

I have had my band for about 5 years and have been dealing with a flipped port for about 4. Some of the stitches came loose then a year or so later they all came loose. Occasionally my doctor can flip it with the needle and perform a fill. Other times not. That's when he has to do a fill under fluoroscopy where he can actually see it. I would have it restitched, but there are insurance issues involved.

Oh gosh... I had my port replaced into the same place as my old one 4 days ago..... I went back To work today ...I'm in total agony ........ Too soon?!?! I hope ur feeling better

Why does a port flip? Is this something we do or is it something normal with the band?

Why does a port flip? Is this something we do or is it something normal with the band?

My Dr said its not common and you're more likely to have a leaking tube.He went on to say that after your 6wk healing period they really expect scar tissue to form and help hold the stitching down.

I have no idea how my port did a complete flip, which he did try to manually flip it back, but was a no go.

I'm really being careful during my healing phase and hope this does not happen again.

For me, that surgery was much easier than LBS.

Yeah my understanding is that it's just a very individual body response to having something foreign there, I think the its more likely to happen if there is an initial post op infection at the port incision site... The body goes into overdrive producing too much of this scar tissue and it somehow flips... I thought it was more common then what it sounds like it actually is. But I can assure u, the replacement fricken hurts!

Oh gosh... I had my port replaced into the same place as my old one 4 days ago..... I went back To work today ...I'm in total agony ........ Too soon?!?! I hope ur feeling better

Yes I'm doing ok just taking one day at a time I'm not back at work yet cause when I first had surgery I went back quick but that was the biggest mistake so that's why I'm taking it slow this time I hope you feel better.???‰