Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved but have questions

Hi guys! I've been posting a few threads here and there but have a few questions. Is there a ridiculous amount of pain after surgery? Also, is or was Hair loss an issue for everyone? I'm having surgery January 28th and getting married August 31 so I'm just wondering about this stuff! Thanks its really awesome reading everyone's posts and experiences... Also concerned with being nauseous or stuck feeling can I avoid this by following the rules?

The surgery wasn't bad, they give you pretty good drugs after...hehe... but really not that bad. Hair loss? well... it really depends on if you take your Vitamins or not. I don't lose any more then normal, but I supplement by taking Biotin. About the nauseous and stuck feeling..... that depends, are you a person who pushes the limits... cause if you follow the guidelines and follow the 20/20/20 rule, you should be ok... 20 bites, chew 20 times, take 20 or more minutes to eat... good luck, and it sounds like 2013 is your year!!!!

Yes, but everyones different, just stick with it, you'll be fine, and good luck!

I've had multiple abdominal surgeries, including hernia repairs and a c-section, and the Lap Band surgery was by far the least painful of all of them. I had my surgery on a Friday and by Wednesday I was back at my old routine. I was a bit tired for a couple weeks and I couldn't do any lifting for the first month, but overall I didn't think the surgery was bad at all.

Unfortunately hair loss is common after any surgery because of all the drugs and anesthetic. I would start taking Biotin now. It will help minimize the Hair loss in the months after. Being careful to get in all your Protein will help, too.

Best wishes to you.

I only have to surgeries to compare it to...gall bladder which was laparoscopic in 1990 but I was down for 3 weeks,.... And I do mean down. The other was my Tummy Tuck on dec 18 and while I didn't have a lot a pain it's uncomfortable. With the band I never took any pain meds, I had surgery on a Thursday and was working by Tuesday. Other than being tired and the gas pains.... It wasn't bad at all.

As for being nauseous... I wasn't. And as for getting stuck,,., even if you always follow the rules it could happen but it's just a matter of time before it passes.

Best wishes as you consider your options.

I think everyone gets stuck once in awhile. The pain was managable just take your meds. How exciting to be the new girl becoming a bride. This procedure is a new way LOOKING AT food. I am 4 years out and frankly food is just food it is not my comforter or my friend it is just fuel. On Christmas I enjoyed being the go fer because it was good but not the highlight of the day.I never lost any hair took Biotin and Vitamins

Thanks everyone! I'm def going to start Biotin I have about a month till surgery are there anythings I should stock my house up with? I've read some of your posts about heating pad and gas x ..any suggestions?

I also should say that the best way to diet for me is being restricted. I had trouble with weight watchers because I was given such an array of food choices. It prob doesn't help how I love carbs but I'm ready for a new me and a new relationship with food. I look forward to food not controlling me but simply being there as the Protein and nourishment I need, not controlling me and worrying about being satisfied with small portions. I'm so excited for this change!!!!

well, don't go crazy at first buying a bunch of stuff that you won't be able to eat for weeks anyway. Be sure you have plenty of Protein Shake on hand and some puddings and easy to swallow things are good. You want to make sure that you don't have anything that is really .... rough I guess.... cause just think of it this way.... would you really want something rough coming back up??? Don't let the stuck thing scare you... its really just kind of like ... well.. like when you take too big a bite of something and don't chew it well now... when you swallow it, its kind of uncomfortable and tight in your chest until it hits your stomach then you don't feel it anymore... After the surgery thats kind of the feeling you will get, except your esophagus will send it in reverse... its not throwing up... its more just like... well what happens when you almost swallow your gum... you kind of pull it back up in the back of your throat. Haha I know I explain things weird. It will be ok. Just be prepared for the first few months not feeling the restriction you are expecting to get from the surgery. Even though you read up and study the boards, what you read and what you comprehend are two different things. I am wishing you the best of luck. I had my surgery on August 1, 2012.. So far I have lost 35 lbs... but this month... I finally have restriction and that's where the majority of the weight loss has happened. So have faith.. it will happen for you.