Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody Got Post Lap Band Blues????

I am post op day 17 and I wanna jump off a bridge. I can't explain what's wrong but I have been so teary eyed and irritable. I wanna snap someone's neck. I'm no where near my cycle so I don't know what's wrong. I hate feeling this way. Im usually an energetic and bubbly person. Now i am a Debbie downer. Please help

Could it be hormonal? When I feel down, I try to list all the good things in my life, and try to sleep as much as possible. Tomorrow you'll feel better, I'm sure! :-)

I really believe that anesthesia can cause you to feel blue... I know it's been a few weeks but I really think it can linger and make you feel down. This surgery wasn't minor... You're body is going through tons of changes... Also your mind and emotions too... I think it'll pass in a few days.

Hang in there! :-)

Go look back at my posts, I was FREAKING OUT the entire first month or two after surgery. I think for me, I just didn't know what to do with all these feelings that I was feeling... I mean, I used to push everything away by stuffing food in my mouth to numb myself. Suddenly, un-numb, EVERYTHING felt horrible.

It does get better. Just give it time. You don't have to trade being heavy for being cray cray. :)

Yes. Had a major breakdown at lunch. I just wanted something to chew!!!! My dr said I must crush my meds. Well my meds for depression taste so bad crushed I quit taking them soooo I am totally off balance. Day 24 of liquids and still trucking!! :).

I had the blues as well. Still struggling some days. I think the emotional part is much more challenging than the physical aspect. I'm ready to feel good and be happy again.

This is so true!

The band stops us from over-eating.

But over-eating used to be my self-medication for feeling:

Sad

Angry

Bored

Lonely

Trapped

Insecure, etc.

Basically anything I didn't want to feel.

A surprising number of otherwise "normal" middle class moms and average people do become alcoholic after restrictive weight loss surgery like the band or the bypass.

If we are prevented from using one medication (food) to quiet those dark, scary feelings, it might be an easy shift to quiet them with a different medication (alcohol.)

What helped me was to start to speak up more. Not that I was silent before but now, if I'm angry I'm much more likely to speak directly to the person who caused that feeling and be more open with them instead of stuffing the feelings. "Honey, when you slammed my car door as you got out because you didn't like what I said, I felt physically startled and then kind of angry. I'd really prefer you tell me with your words when you're mad instead of with loud behaviors." (To my teen daughter yesterday afternoon.) I get to express my feelings, I figure, as long as I'm not being mean about it. Now that I've been doing this for a while, my daughter sometimes does it to me too, which is a much better thing for me to have modeled for her than for her to learn to over-eat over feelings which is the example I was raised with.

And if I'm feeling bored or lonely, I can get up and try to improve my situation. Call someone, read a book, go for a walk with the dog, etc.

Speaking honestly (but with love and the intention not of hurting the other person but of teaching them about my reaction, so we ultimately have a closer relationship) and doing actions (besides over-eating) when I'm faced with life's ...challenges, has let me lose a lot of weight, given me energy I didn't used to have and helped me enjoy better relationships with friends and family.

Good luck with your own journey. :-)

For me it feels like a break up. With food. I just don't know what to do with myself. And I really want to clean and organize because that is something else that I do when I get all emotional and I can't do much in the way of lifting moving furniture carrying vacuum bend over scrubbing tubs. Must find a new hobby. Was walking when I felt down but it's getting cold today. Grrr

Try painting or writing poetry, it takes your mind off the food and channels the emotions...

I am post op day 17 and I wanna jump off a bridge. I can't explain what's wrong but I have been so teary eyed and irritable. I wanna snap someone's neck. I'm no where near my cycle so I don't know what's wrong. I hate feeling this way. Im usually an energetic and bubbly person. Now i am a Debbie downer. Please help

Oh my just banded today baby I hope u feel better soon.

Great stuff people have written here...

It's so true, you have to go thru a time of "mourning" your break up with food. We all got to where we were because of the bad relationship and ADDICTION to food. So know what u r feeling, we have all felt at some point. I went thru times of crying and dispair and anger. But it went away. Food lost te battle. And now, I look back and I can't even remember those times becaus how great I feel now is so much stronger!

Think about all te great things u will be doing when u lose weight! The clothes! Go window shopping for things u will wear! U will feel better soon...hang in there! Saying a little prayer for u! Feel free to MSG me anytime!