Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Four days ago I noticed some redness around my main incision (port) but didn't think much of it. The problem is that it started to grow despite putting Neosporin, it got tender and painful so yesterday I went to my doctor's office and he cut it and drained it and prescribed me Cephalexin 500mg for ten days.

He said that is was just a superficial infection and that it wasn't a big deal but since it was right above my port he wanted to make sure it didn't escalate to a more dangerous infection.

Moral of the story: If you see anything like that on your scars, don't panic but make sure to have it checked out, is not overreacting, it's preventing.

Hopefully the antibiotics will do their job and I won't have to worry about this anymore.

Have you had a similar experience??

Four days ago I noticed some redness around my main incision (port) but didn't think much of it. The problem is that it started to grow despite putting Neosporin, it got tender and painful so yesterday I went to my doctor's office and he cut it and drained it and prescribed me Cephalexin 500mg for ten days.

He said that is was just a superficial infection and that it wasn't a big deal but since it was right above my port he wanted to make sure it didn't escalate to a more dangerous infection.

Moral of the story: If you see anything like that on your scars, don't panic but make sure to have it checked out, is not overreacting, it's preventing.

Hopefully the antibiotics will do their job and I won't have to worry about this anymore.

Have you had a similar experience??

I'm actually currently on Bactrim for an infection. Not for Lap Band surgery (that was almost 8 months ago), but for an emergency strangulated hernia surgery.

I had redness around the drain coming out of my stomach so I went in to have it removed early the Sunday before last. They removed it but it remained very red and a little sore. Imagine my shock when a week later, on Saturday, the hospital calls me and says "You need to contact your doctor, your wound culture came back positive for a Staph infection".

I panicked momentarily because I know Staph can be really nasty. When my doctor's office called he told me there's different types of Staph, that the kind I had wasn't horrible, and he was calling me in a prescription.

I have been on the antibiotic for 6 days now. All the redness and soreness is completely gone and it's healing nicely.

Good luck, I'm sure yours will clear right up too!

Missy what caused this strangulation?

Great advice Cooper! Hope you're better soon.

Missy what caused this strangulation?

I have some very severe damage to my abdominal wall do to a very botched delivery of my son almost 10 years ago. He was stuck, with me fully dilated and pushing, for over 8 hours before they finally did an emergency c-section. It essentially destroyed my abdominal wall. I've had 2 other hernia surgeries prior to this one.

My surgeon and I knew I had more hernias and the plan was for him to fix them when he does a Tummy Tuck on me late this winter/early spring. It's everyone hope that without all the extra weight adding stress and mesh to hold it all together, I won't have anymore hernias.

That all changed 3 weeks ago. Part of my intestines got caught in the hernia. I was in A LOT of pain and ended up in the ER in agony. At first they were afraid I'd lose part of my intestines but thank God that didn't happen. So, he fixed it and he even made the incision down lower and worked upward so when I have the tummy tuck, the scar from this surgery will be removed with the excess skin! I thought that was so cool of him :)

So that's why I ended up with a strangulated hernia. It was NOT fun. The strangulated hernia was far more painful than the surgery to repair it. It's really bad.

Oh I'm fine. Not even 3 weeks post op and I'm walking a couple miles a night again :)

Awesome to hear that Missy !!!

Update:

I finished my ten days of antibiotics and everything is looking great, my scar is beautiful :lol:

Good thing I caught it on time!

thanks !!!