Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did Anyone Not Lose Until After 1St Fill?

I'm three weeks post op & staying within 3/4 lbs since surgery. REALLY DEPRESSED about this! First fill will be Monday. Please advise.

I'm in the same boat! My first fill is Wednesday. I have only lost 13lbs which includes my pre-op diet. I don't understand how I haven't lost more weight in the past 3 weeks since I'm only eating about 600 calories a day. I know that we are suppose to focus on healing at this point and not worry about losing yet but this is depressing. I'm not cheating either. The only thing I'm doing wrong might be that I'm not drinking enough fluids. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mama,

I believe most bandsters lose a few lbs after surgery and no need to be "Really Depressed" over this. No one tells you before surgery that you don't start losing fat till you get a few fills that give you enough restriction to feel satisfied with smaller meals much sooner. Your real journey will not start until you get closer to the green zone and that may take several fills and several months. So, no need to get depressed just yet, there's much more time to do that down the road. And, once you really start to lose weight, it will still only be 2-6 lbs a month. There may be some months where it's more or less but that is the average.

sma5062,

Only lost 13 lbs?? How could you be depressed over 13 lbs in 3 weeks? Many people would kill for that kind of success. You might want to lower your expectations?

tmf

Your body probably goes in starvation mode post op while u are on liquids and you hold your weight, then when you go on to soft foods, your body can try to hold that too because it hasn't seen food in so long! It is frustrating but it's something you have to do in in order to heal. For me, it wasn't until I was able to eat in the 1000 to 1350 calorie range that I was able to lose. Enough food that your body isn't starving and is willing to let the fat go.

tmf, I lost 10 lbs pre-op and only 3 since surgery. I'd be ecstatic if I'd lost 13 in 3 weeks! I just need to lower my expectations for now I guess and hope it doesn't take too long to reach the "green zone".

tmf, I lost 10 lbs pre-op and only 3 since surgery. I'd be ecstatic if I'd lost 13 in 3 weeks! I just need to lower my expectations for now I guess and hope it doesn't take too long to reach the "green zone".

Well that sucks! LOL..No really, it does. I know, it's hard to come to the forums and there are so many members posting glorious poundage being lost so you think why not me? Here's a post I made on another topic and it relates to this topic as well.

"Yeah, it's disappointing when you realize the first 4-6 months are a learning process. I know I was disappointed. I had planned on being super skinny by now. HA! I think back to the seminars, doctor visits, some posts here and a few support groups I went to and I think I was informed but chose to wear my rose colored glasses and assumed I wouldn't be one of those slow losers and I'd be losing 10 lbs a month. What did Elvis say? "Fools rush in, where wise men never go"?

Well, I don't feel foolish and I'm glad I did this. I think the rose colored glasses enabled me to make the big leap and had I known or thought that this was going to be so hard I may not have done it. But, I have no regrets now and I love my new life. Not looking back, only looking forward to a skinnier and healthier me. It will come for those of you who choose to stay the course and the course may not be that far away."

tmf

Mama sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'm just starting to lose steadily and I'm 6 months out with 5 fills so just settle in for long ride no turning back

One more comment on this subject. When you go in for your fills, if you are not losing, ask to see the nutritionist. I thought I should be losing weight too, back when I was 4 month post op(12 lbs lost total first 4 mnths). She made some suggestions that made sense for me and from that point on I've lost 35 lbs in 4.5 months. The 3 fills helped too.

tmf

The other big piece to the weight loss puzzle is to get your exercise in at least 4-5 days a week. I can be compliant with my diet, but if I don't burn the additional calories, it does stall my weight loss.

Never forget that this is a journey, and not an event. Patience will help you get through...

Best wishes...

Thank you all for your words of inspiration. I have read so many write of losing 20/30 lbs fast & I want to! Only 18 lbs pre op & 3 wks out (still really happy of my little 18 lbs) So thankful of my new friend (my band) & cant believe I REALLY DID IT! Say a prayer for me & I'm praying for you all.

Thanks for sharing this I'm 3 weeks post-op the day of surgery I was 263 my one week post op I was 257 and now I'm 255 Pre-op I was 281. I'm not depress I feel good and learning how to take small bites and chew chew is what my goal is for now, and getting the fluids in each day. If your're peeing alot your losing also check the ketones this helps with if your intake of sugars and carbs. We all are doing great a loss is a loss:-) :rolleyes:

I am so glad I read this today!! I'm just about 7 weeks post op and I have been kind of is discouraged myself! One reason why is because people keep asking me how much I lost so far, and honesty it's like they expect me to use the bathroom and crap out 50lbs! But reading this has helped me continue to look forward to my fantastic journey!! My weight loss is slow, feels like all i am keeping off is my preop weight! Grr.. But i know we can all do it!!! Best decision ever made was getting the band!! Good luck everyone!!

Not sure how this app works so I hope I'm doing this right. I'm a mother of 3 kids I weigh 310 I'm 30 years old. Have high blood pressure, siadica, depression, etc. my two options were Adapex or the lapband and I meet w my doc next week to discuss the lapband. I feel like I can have my life back and my kids will have a full functioning and more awesome mother If I get this done. I have tried everything and nothing works.

Hi all,

Tmf is so right & provided me much support when I was 1st banded. I too was looking at all the huge loses. In my experience it's a much slower process for most. I'm 11 weeks post op, have had 3 fills for a total of 6 ccs in a 14cc band and I've lost 15 pounds. Don't be discouraged. It takes our body awhile to figure out what going on. It will figure it out, don't worry. Green zone also takes awhile. After my 3rd fill I'm still not sure if I'm there yet. Please, please keep moving forward one day at a time:). Don't be discouraged