Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Weight Loss & Feeling Like Failure

I'm 5 months post op- I've only lost 26 lbs and that includes 7 lbs prior to surgery.....I have had 4 fills and am at 6.4 cc in an 11 cc band. I'm eating 1000 to 1100 calories a day (per fitnesspal.com) and I've been exercising. In fact-- I ran a 5K two weeks ago. (my first one ever) - trained for 10 weeks running/walking 3-4 times a week,. ....is this typical??? I just expected more :(

Do NOT get discouraged. Everyone loses differently. My weight loss did not pick up until my band was over half full and that was six months after surgery. I was losing a pound or two a month and now I'm losing a pound or two a week. Push...follow your plan, good things are coming your way.

Remember, Protein first, solid foods, Water and exercise. Oh yeah, B.E.L.I.E.V.E in youself!

Hello,

I was banded about 5.5 months ago also. My weight loss has been slow. It just now started picking up, however I am all the way filled up. I am at 11cc right now.I am just now starting to feel like have a band. I discussed this with the docs and they said everyone is different. Sometimes you might have to bump up the caloric intake a little especially if you are exercising alot. I lost about 40lbs to date. I weighed the same lb for 3 months straight. I understand your frustration :)

Crystal

Well most doctors' say you can loose up to 2 pounds a week. At 5 months you've lost 19 pounds so almost 1 lb a week. Seems like you are loosing a a pretty good rate mine has been slower. I do at Least an hour of cardio 7 days a week so you may need to up your exercise.

Well most doctors' say you can loose up to 2 pounds a week. At 5 months you've lost 19 pounds so almost 1 lb a week. Seems like you are loosing a a pretty good rate mine has been slower. I do at Least an hour of cardio 7 days a week so you may need to up your exercise.

Banded 11/28/11 and as of March 15th(nearly 4 mos) I had lost 12 lbs. Fill #4 changed my eating habits as did #5 & #6. From March 15th to now I've lost 21 lbs. A visit with my nutritionist helped me make better food choices and I ramped up my exercise routine.

I think so many of us go into this hearing how some people lose 10-12 lbs a month and I know I ignored the ones who said they lost 5 lbs a month and didn't lose any in some months. I knew that wouldn't be me. I too was discouraged but now I'm excited about my weight loss. You will be too if you just hang in there.

If you are not feeling restriction and can still eat too much I'd advise another fill. Small fill maybe?

tmf

I too feel like a failure when it comes to my band. I was banded on 02/24/12 and had my second fill on 05/29/12, feel no restriciton & I'm constantly hungery. I have lost only 17 lbs and I'm disappointed in myself. I wanted to know if I should go back on the soft diet in order to increase more wls because right I truly feel like a FAILURE !!!! :(

I too feel like a failure when it comes to my band. I was banded on 02/24/12 and had my second fill on 05/29/12, feel no restriciton & I'm constantly hungery. I have lost only 17 lbs and I'm disappointed in myself. I wanted to know if I should go back on the soft diet in order to increase more wls because right I truly feel like a FAILURE !!!! :(

OK, it's time for the Gipper to step in and slap you two around. YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE. WHAT YOU ARE EXPERIENCING IS NORMAL. IT HAPPENED TO ME AND IT HAPPENS TO PROBABLY 50%(swag) OF BANDSTERS. NOW GET OUT THERE AND DON'T GIVE UP!!!

Seriously, I had 4 fills before I finally started to feel some restriction and now I'm up to #6 and I'm in the green zone. I too felt like you except the failure part. I was very discouraged. I know a couple of people who were banded after me and they had lost 50 and 70 lbs each. I didn't feel like a failure but I was disappointed and pissed. Keep going back for fills and make sure you're not eating slider foods. It will come. The force is powerful with this one.

tmf

i was banded on 7/28/11 and i'm only 'officially' at 36 pounds lost. i exercise at least 4 days a week (at least an hour to and hour and a half each time) and my band is filled to about 6.5 cc's. my dr. is hesitant to fill my band any more because he feels i'm doing fine. i, on the other hand, am frustrated beyond belief. i thought i would be at least under 200 by now, but i'm at least 7 pounds away from that. i know i need to exercise more but i thought that all my hard work would have kicked my weight loss into high gear. in the last 2 months of major exercising, i only lost 4 lbs. how frustrating! i do want to say that i'm so glad to have lost the weight i have, but i really wanted it to be more. :(

Have u considered that u may have gained muscle from the 5k training?

i was banded on 7/28/11 and i'm only 'officially' at 36 pounds lost. i exercise at least 4 days a week (at least an hour to and hour and a half each time) and my band is filled to about 6.5 cc's. my dr. is hesitant to fill my band any more because he feels i'm doing fine. i, on the other hand, am frustrated beyond belief. i thought i would be at least under 200 by now, but i'm at least 7 pounds away from that. i know i need to exercise more but i thought that all my hard work would have kicked my weight loss into high gear. in the last 2 months of major exercising, i only lost 4 lbs. how frustrating! i do want to say that i'm so glad to have lost the weight i have, but i really wanted it to be more. :(

So, why do you think you aren't losing? Slider foods, sugar/sweets, ice cream, restriction? Calories per day?

tmf

TMF.....you're absolutely right, I'm not a failure. But i am pretty much PO'D with myself. I am losing inches its just the numbers on the scale aren't changing the way that I want them to. And I also allow my mind to run wild when I go in for my fill. I sitting there thinking that ,my doctor and his nurses are looking at me and thinking we have another one not doing what she is suppose to. And I know this is not the case.

I really don't have much of a support system here. Its more of a competition. My husband has been banded for 6 wks as of yesterday & is already down 35 lbs. And having to listen to him tell me that I'm not applying myself or I'm not trying has really reached its limit with me. I'm not on this WLS journey for him so don't get me wrong. But I still have to hear this only a daily basis.

So i'm going to take this fustration & start working out more on the weekends and try to squeeze in extra time in the mornings before work .

Thanks TMF.... I needed that. :)

I was banded 3/28/12 and have only lost 30 lbs. One day the scales show I have lost five lbs, Yea, then the next day I have gained six. I think my scales are broke. I don't know. But one thing I do know. It took me a life time to get to the size I was before the band. It is not going to come off fast. If I lose one or two lbs a month I am OK with it. But when I stop losing, that is when I will be concerned.

'So i'm going to take this fustration & start working out more on the weekends and try to squeeze in extra time in the mornings before work .

Thanks TMF.... I needed that. :)'

I think that this weight loss thing is 20% fitness and 80% diet. You can't out-train bad eating habits. Just remember that. I know how hard it is, a lifetime of poor eating habits and bad food choices doesn't go away overnight. I still crave cheeseburgers and chicken fried steak. And I'm going to have those when I reach my goal. But when I do, it won't be a giant plate with the food hanging over the sides. It will be in total moderation.

tmf

I was banded 3/28/12 and have only lost 30 lbs. One day the scales show I have lost five lbs, Yea, then the next day I have gained six. I think my scales are broke. I don't know. But one thing I do know. It took me a life time to get to the size I was before the band. It is not going to come off fast. If I lose one or two lbs a month I am OK with it. But when I stop losing, that is when I will be concerned.

Only 30 lbs? Now you're just braggin! ;)

tmf