Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Years Post-Op.... Failure...

I was banded in December '08. I did great the first 6 months and got down 50 pounds. May of 09 I graduated, was unemployed, had no insurance and was very depressed which caused me to gain all of the weight back plus

Today, I'm heavier ten ever. My life is slightly more in order but I have no idea where to begin. Is my band even salvageable? Is it too stretched out? Is there anything I can do. I don't know what happened to my motivation but I need it back ASAP. Any advice?

It was as if I was suppose to see your message!! Listen God has your back no matter what but I think that its sad that you dont have your back! The Bible says that God will give you strength is you only believe the size of a muster seed but thats the problem you have no faith in you!! Stop blaming unemployment, graduation, a job, and others for your failures and learn to take responsibility for your self!! You can change your life or you can complain about your life if you dont like your situation then change it!! Just ask God for the strength and he will take you to the next level!! we all have challenges on this journey but the goal is to encourgae one another when we fall and help each other get back up. I will be here fro you in every way I can but the love and motivation needs to come from you!! Talk to God he will never leave you nor forsake you!! You are his Daughter now believe it!!! Love Sharon

Start by going back to your doctor. You will more than likely need a fill. The doctor can take all the Fluid out of your band to see how much is in there and start all over with the fills. Taking responsibility is the first step, go forward from here. You already have the tool, now its time to start USING the tool. What works for me is first and foremost, go on a VERY low carb/high Protein diet. Get past the point of craving the carbs and sweets. Once you can get that behind you, then you can get to the best part, which is seeing the weight come off. BUT, you have to get in to your doctor first, get a fill, and start over again.

The best thing is, today is a new day. YOU have the choice of what you are going to do. Yesterday is gone, you cannot change what happened, tomorrow is not here yet, so make today the first day of the rest of your life.

Choose your attitude, remember, your attitude is 9/10's of your success! You CAN do this, remember why you got the band and how you felt when you were making the right choices. That feeling will come back and you will gain that motivation to get the ball rolling again. Dont give up on yourself!!!

You know what you need to do!! So get to it!! No more beating yourself up. It does no good to change the past. Get rid of the negative comments of "i'm a failure"......you'r not!!! (unless you say you are).

Plug back into this site and start reading. You have a lot of work to do. You have probably forgot a lot of the stuff that makes you a sucessful bandster.

Step 1- call your doctor and make an appointment

he can check the band out ---but I'm sure its fine...its band new waiting for you to use it.

Step 2-In the mean time start making those first few changes that every bandster needs to do

*Protein first (at least 70g)

*cut out the bad carbs----no more for now---you should try to break the adiction-----bad carbs are emoty calories and make you want more bad carbs.

*stop drinking calories---no more soda or other high calorie drinks

*start moving- just something!! start making new routines so that they can become new habbits

Step 3 -Join www.myfirnesspal.com this is a great place to log ALL your food choices and exercise. you can add buddys to help you out along the way---feel free to add me same username:waitingpatiently. If accountability is an issue or if you want help making food choices....make your food journal open and others can see it. I have found that its great for finding healthy foods I didn't now were out there...like carbmaster yogurt.

Step 4-Get excited!! You have made the decision that CAN change the rest of your life!! Attitude is everything!! If you are bound and deterimed that the band is not working or isn't for you....then you are right. If you are bound and determined to make this work regardless....you will.

Step 5- If you are spiritual...then pray. I do. I find it has helped me the most. I promised my God that I would fix this if he would help me. Breaking a promise to my Savior will not happen-----that alone will hold me accountable. Breaking a promise to friends, family, husband.....isn't easy. but they have all broke one to me, so I no they won't mind. But my Savior.........he has never broke a promise.so I take just a few mins every morning to set my mind straight. What is really important in life.

Step 6- find at least one person that will encourage you when you need it and hold you accountable when its neccesary.

Good Luck!! If you ever need to talk....or you need a buddy. Just inbox me.

Don't beat yourself up! I am in a similar situation. I was banded Dec 2009 and so far I've only lost about 50lbs since surgery. I had been down 70, but gained 20lbs over the last year! It started like you, stress! I took my kids on spring break and gained a measly 5lbs eating junk and out of embarassment wouldn't go to my doctor until I lost it... which never happened!!! Then divorce, having to move, having to file bankruptcy, being downsized, no insurance for a while, then got crappy insurance, stopped logging my calories, just one thing after another! Even though I still exercised 3 -4 a week I still kept putting on a pound here and there. So I said, I'm not even going to weigh myself anymore. Then i started having problems with acid reflux and the onlything that would make me feel better is eating, not thinking that it would make the reflux worse later. So the reflux is what drove me back to my surgeon. I went 2 weeks ago. Come to find out, I had gaied another 10bls just since I stopped weighing myself a few months ago, and I stretched my pouch which tilted my band causing the reflux. They took all the Fluid out, and man did my stomach immediately feel like a bottomless pit!!! I was STARVING and could eat like a horse! And once I ate, I did not stay full at all. BUT, the good thing is, sometime last week, I started getting full more quickly and staying full longer. So, I think my pouch has shrunk bad and my band is band is back in it's proper place and I'm getting a little restriction from the band alone. It's not great, but it's better. I'm on myfitnesspal as well and have gone back to logging my calories. I'm not where I want to be at 1200 - 1400, but at least with the 1500 - 2000 and shaving off about 3500 cals a week with exercise, I at least shouldn't gain. I think I've actually lost a couple pounds, but I don't trust my scale vs. the doctors, so I'm not getting too excited just yet lol. But they will check my band when I go back next month and if it is back in proper position start me over with little fills.

So, THERE IS HOPE!!! Go back to your doctor. And as far as money, it may not be as bad as you think. I was worried I'd have to pay hundreds for each visit because my insurance has an exclusion for anything weight loss related, but my doctor is billing as just routine checkup, so I only have to pay my $35 co-pay!

DON'T GIVE UP!!!

Are you at the right fill? Your band will not stretch. Your stomach might stretch above it. Good luck.

Just want say all of u are awesome !! I'm ok now but I know when I need a swift kick in the rump to get on track u all will give it to me straight and with Love !!:-)

You can absolutely start over!

I lost 100 pounds... had some difficulties and re-gained 50. I bounced around there for awhile. Have given up and started over. More than once.

80% of this is you. 20% is the band. (That is what I feel.) Soooo much of this journey is between our ears. You have to get your head back on track. Sometimes it is just a matter of doing it. Fake it until you make it.

Start over. Go back to your Dr... get your band checked out. See how much Fluid is in there. Start back over with fills. Come to the boards. Support is HUGE. One day at a time.

You can absolutely do this!

I'm in the same boat but I'm not giving up. Im looking for new dr. Because long story I don't care for mine. I was banded in 09 I was doing good then ran into back issues in 2010 got back on track doing good depression gained weight fought it started losing the stopped gained because I listened to meg comment thenhurt my. Sck at work again then started losing and had foot problem got depressed turned to food now I gave my self kick in the butt. What's helping I got into Zumba dr.oz back to crocheting reading learned to knit and I started blog too. I need to find new doc to get my band checked some days it feels like it working and some it dose not but I know it's me. Your not alone