Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Stuck?

My biggest problem after surgery is I do the big no no of eating and drinking together. I don't do it all the time, but last night I was out with friends and I did. I had a fruity mixed drink and I barely ate anything because my stomach started hurting so bad. Can eating and drinking together cause this? Or did I just get food stuck?

I just found out I'm being demoted at work, and they are transferring me to an hr away location. I have been completely bummed the last three days and totally off the program. I'm now getting worried I'm messing things up. I have anxiety bad too, and I have been having a nervous stomach going through all this stress.

I woke up twice in the middle of the night my stomach still in pain! But when I woke this morning it's finally gone.

Sorry for the novel here, just really need some help! Thank you:)

When I get stuck I feel it in my chest and I gagg, and spit up alot of saliva. You sound really stressed to me or what you ate just simply didnt agree with you....

Yes I am sure that eating and drinking could be the cause of your pain.

Generally eating and drinking together either means that you are washing your food down quicker so you eat more than you should or it can cause you clog up which is very uncomfortable. You have been told not to eat and drink at the same time for a reason, you therefore need to learn to do that. You probably haven't messed anything up but you are quite likely to have less success than if you do what your Dr has told you to do.

We all lead stressful lives. We need to learn to deal with our stresses as if we don't then we set ourselves up for failure. It is too easy to eat or drink or not stick to our diet because_______________

we have had a bad day

we are sad

we are happy

we are bored

we deseve it

whatever!

You have to remember what your goals are and why you want to get to them. Often it can be harder than we expected and it seems like an easier option to not do what we should.

If you have food stuck then generally you will get pain or discomfort in the centre of your chest , right about where you expect your heart to be. You also can't generally eat or drink anything and you produce extra saliva which you can't swallow so you have to spit it up. So to me it does not sound as though what you had was a fullon stuck episode.

You say you now feel fine which is good.

Try to stick to what you should do from now on.

Loniel: I am not sure what happened to you - it could be to cold liquid made you band feel tighter and/or the stress. As I write this, I am stuck. I have been PBing for 45 minutes - sliming etc. Scrambled eggs - they hate me and my band. The chest pains, difficult to breathe and burping up slime- now the hiccups! Dog gone it ! i GUESS I did not chew enough or too big..anyway, when you are truly STUCK, you won't be asking, If You Are Stuck ? You will know for sure. Hope you are feeling better today and and sorry to hear about the job change. Hope it all works out for the best.

Melinda in Florida :(

I cannot eat scrambled eggs at all @ short and chunky..

Loneil.. eating and drinking at the same time is a real no no and what you exoerienced is why it is .. I totally agree with elcee u need to follow what u have been told to otherwise you maybe wont be all that sucessful. Some people do manage to drink and eat at the same time but it is rare and if u get the symptoms u got then u need to stop it :) .. i am sure u havent caused any damage but its really not worth taking risks. Stressing out also causes my band to tighten so u maybe got stuck because of drinking and eating as well as a tighter band .. try not to stress too much ... hope it all works out for you and u get baack on programme with your band :)

I know I need to follow dr's orders. I was doing so well until this happened. I have to get it back togther!

Does anyone know why you can't eat and drink at the same time?

Thank you for all your feedback and kind words. I feel a ton of support through this site.

Loneil I think it is because you don't want to wash your food down and you won't get the sensation of being full.Also you risk getting clogged which is not a good feeling.It happened to me once while eating Peanut Butter, I got clogged and tried to wash it down with a little milk,I haven't had peanut butter since.