Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Information Overload

I've been around these boards, and others for a while and after a while your head starts to spin and hurt.

Why do we attempt to make it so difficult?? It really is quite the simple thing.

1) Overweight - obese - diets fail - health issues, Pre Surgery

2) have surgery - get band installed.

3) get installed band properly adjusted

4) Start loosing significant weight

5) reach goal - health issues resolved - start living a normal life

Everybody falls into that scenario somewhere.

So many people can't all be having problems, can they???

Just go to the main category page, and there are 100's if not more with nothing more than people who have issues???

Is there nobody who feels this thing is Hunkey-dorey and happy as a clam????

I think you missed "freak out and have emotional meltdowns" somewhere in there. Or is that just me? hehehe.

those kinds of posts b52 will make me successful bc its positive/to the point and just what i need as a pre-bander to be

I've been around these boards, and others for a while and after a while your head starts to spin and hurt.

Why do we attempt to make it so difficult?? It really is quite the simple thing.

Just go to the main category page, and there are 100's if not more with nothing more than people who have issues???

I'm very happy with my band, and the progress I have made to date with weight loss. I have empathy for your observations, and after reading numerous posts have concluded that there are 2 major types of people who post about their issues with the band.

The first group seems to have not had a complete pre-op education as to what to expect post-op, and are greatly lacking in knowledge about nutrition and self care. The second group has not adjusted their beliefs about their relationship with eating and food in general. They seem to share resistance to the process of change and have not yet retooled their beliefs to understand that you either follow the simple rules, or you can complain about the rules and try to modify them to suit their particular needs.

As someone successful with their journey to health(you, not me--yet), I can understand why you express frustration over seeing the same type of posts repeated many times.

I value your presence and participation on this forum!

I think these forums are like everything else; the people who are having problems are the 'loudest'. There are hundreds if not thousands of happy people with bands, but they don't post as often.

I agree to a point, but then again there are those like myself that at first had real issues with pain and tolerance of the band right after surgery. But, people also need to realize that it's not a magic pill either. Until last week, I felt no restrictions since right after surgery, most of my loss success had to do with watching what I eat and writing it down to be held accountable. Most people do not realize how much they actually eat unless they measure it and write it down.

And if you think sitting on a couch is going to help, your in a dream world. It takes work and dedication to succeed. The way I figure if you have time to text and tweet during the day, you have time to work on a plan that will work for you. Mine is writing it down and planning my meals each day. Other than shoulder pain still, I don't regret having this band at all. It has already given me my life back to enjoy things I have missed out on for so long. :D

I think some doctor's/after care lacks a lot, so people come here with what seem like "basic questions" and just need help. Some people just need their hands held throughout the whole ordeal so they turn to the online community to be there every step of the way, with each and every single question.

Some people learn by repition, some people learn by seeing and researching, some people learn by doing - all of that leads to different posting styles on the boards as well

I can only HOPE that my journey is a cut and dry as #s 1 though 5 like you posted .... but I'll be honest and say that I'm only partially optimistic ;)

As I find myself in pursuit to find the green zone, I'll be looking for tips and tricks and support, and I'll probably post at least 2 stupid questions (I apologize in advance B-52) :wub:

I like coming to this site and airing my questions...I know that I can probably ask my dr,..but they can be so vague and not really answer the questions. I also want to know other people's ups and downs so that I have a better understanding what to expect. Sure...sometimes I get tired of hearing other people's problems, but I would be lot more anxious/leery of the surgery if all i hear was how great it was.

ME!!! I am!! :D

Seriously, I love my band. This is the best thing I've ever done for myself!!

I like coming to this site and airing my questions...I know that I can probably ask my dr,..but they can be so vague and not really answer the questions. I also want to know other people's ups and downs so that I have a better understanding what to expect. Sure...sometimes I get tired of hearing other people's problems, but I would be lot more anxious/leery of the surgery if all i hear was how great it was.

I would not be leaving my doctor's office if I did not understand their instructions or if I felt that they had not adequately addressed my concerns. Remember that you are paying for their expertise, and at the very least you need to have your concerns heard and questions answered.

IMHO---your opinion may be different!

So far so good for me!!! I have for the most part figured out what I can and cannot eat. I cheat, but I do so sensibly. I cannot and will not eat a whole bag of Cookies, but I can have one. I know that if I have more than one, I will feel it. I know that if I eat more than a cup 1/2 of food I will feel it. If I dont chew alot, I will feel it. Simple!!!!

There have been an awful lot of non sensible things on here thats been more than usual. No wonder there are some that are getting scared off. I dont know if its the instructions that are inadequate or if its just people being unrealistic or they need more assistance with the phsycholical part of it more.

I wish everyone the best! b52 u make me smile !!

I've been around these boards' date=' and others for a while and after a while your head starts to spin and hurt.

Is there nobody who feels this thing is Hunkey-dorey and happy as a clam????[/quote']

I watch your post alot! I laugh at something you say! Keep the post coming;))))

I am happy with my band as well! Should've done this years ago. I do understand ones frustration with all the posts and questions about things that seem so simple to understand, as 90% of the answers can be found at your drs office. It does feel good to vent though and know that you are not in this alone.