Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What To Start With

I need some tips on some exercise activities to start with. I am 4 weeks out of surgery and I havent really started a routine. The muscle that the port is sewed into just barely stopped hurting when i walk. My main focus has just been to move more throughout the day but now I need to get a routine started.

I am hoping some of you have ideas of some moderate activities that I could do at home to get into the grove.

So excited that I am starting to get to the point where it is ok to start to focus on loss and not just on healing. :)

I would suggest simple walking around the block, on a treadmill, on a trail. Because you are just starting to feel better with the port pain, you need to give you body more time to heal, in my opinion. I say this because I went to town on a eliphtical and biking just weeks after surgery then 3 months later I ended up in surgery again because my port dislodged. I had the port pain and ignored it. I don't know if the more intense exercise did it, but, I would not take any chances. Trust me after you lose more weight you will get a huge boost of energy and at that time you can start exercising with a bit more intensity. jake

The leslie sansom videos on walking at home are very good if u want to exercise at home, u can choose between 1 mile and 4 mile programmes and u can go at your own pace, i am not a walker, i get a little bored walking, but the videos are good and i enjoy those, i also would suggest doing some resistance bands/dumbells i started off with these as i couldnt really exercise at first, u can do them sitting down in front of the tv, u build muscle tone up and this helps burn calories. I use an exercise bike as my key calorie burner now, still do strength and add in some xbox dance 3 and some abs work now .. The main thing with any exercise is to find something u like to do, and do it as regular as u can. Liking what u do keeps u doing it .. start off easy and slow and each week just build up the intensity slightly.. Cardio first then strength is always the better method.

good luck and keep moving :)

Thanks for the tips!! I have some DVDs that I bought forever ago and I think that one might be walking at home. I will have to dig them all up and check them out. My goal is to one day, probably a year or so from now, be able to do Insanity as I spent a crap ton of money on it a few months ago.

I will take it easy and focus on activities that aren't too strenuous. My surgeon said he doesn't really have a recommendation and to just let my body tell me what I can handle. He also said that because he actually sews the port into the muscle, to expect to get sore quickly at first with things that use my stomach muscles until my muscle gets used to that port.

I had port pain for about 2 months and walking would get painful!

Once I was cleared for it, I began swimming as my first post op exercise. It was a lot less lower body stress for me while the ol' port authority healed. ;)

this isnt at home but if your Dr. ok's with it try swimming or a swim fitness class. Warm Water and moving at your own pace. AHHHH, it heaven in the warm water. I hated exercise because i hated to sweat and be uncomfotable and my joints are stiff. Well the water classes make you sweat but you dont feel it because of the water. My joints are loosing up and because i like this class Im going 3-4 x a week. Down 27 lbs since last December , Woo Hoo !As i lose more weight and the weather gets better i'll walk more , and then my next goal is running ! So go swimming !

Maybe I will join my local rec center and partake of the Water fitness classes. That sounds fun. My Dr hasn't put any restrictions on what I can do, he said let my body be the judge. We communicate pretty well so I think he would tell me to stop if I reported anything unusual.

Thanks for the advice.

So today i did 2 miles on the walk at home video. it is the fast and firm one by Leslie and I went into it with the intention of only doing 1 and by the time the first mile was over I was like hell yeah I can do another. I LOVE that she throws in different movements other than walking and that she focuses on engaging your core. My port muscle is a little sore but nothing unbearable.

Successful first "dedicate work out session post lap band".

i was also very active yesterday! After my birthday weekend mani pedi, I took the dogs to the dog park and walked laps, came home did laundry cleaned a bit then we went bowling for a few hours and since it was cosmic bowling we were all up dancing and having a gay ol time! :) I am going to say that I feel much better after all of the moving. now time for my morning Protein shake then to get to the dog park so the dogs can get their work out on too!! :)

Banded on March 27th,and my first week has been about what I expected. Very little pain after the second day. My first post appointment is tomorrow morning and I plan to ask my surgeon when I can get back in the gym. If he tells me to wait another 4 or 5 weeks.....that's exactly what I'll do.