Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"First Bite Syndrome" ???

Okay I have a fill of about 2.8 or 2.9cc's in a 4cc band. Almost every time I take my first two bites of food I get the Deer in the Headlights look because I get stuck. I know this is not a good thing. Sometimes if I take deep breaths it goes down. Weird it feels like kind of a plop when it does. On other occasions not that many it comes back up. This only happens after the first 2 bites(not all the time but frequent enough to question). DOes this mean I am overfilled. After the food either goes down or comes back up I am good to go and can finish eating. Help!!! :faint:

I'm no expert here, but speaking from experince about myself, I think smaller bites need to be taken. Try it, and good luck.

I suffered with this for about a month, and then it went away.

I don't think it's a sign of being overly tight. I think it's also referred to as "esophogeal spasms".

My solution - drink something hot first. Take a very very very small, well chewed bite. Then go do something else for 5-10 minutes, and you should be good to go.

This went away all by itself, but was annoying as H*ll while I was dealing with it!

I try well I think I am chewing good but you may be right about the smaller bites. I notice when I have an "episode" I am alot more cautious about the size and my chewing. I think I need to probably drink something warm about 30 minutes before I eat maybe it will loosen me up.

Hey Donali we were posting at the same time LOL Thanks. I am gonna do that drink something warm. My lunch breaks at work are only 30 minutes so after I warm up what I have to eat and finally sit down I have about 25 minutes to eat. I have most of my "episodes" at work on my lunch break.

Hi Diva girl!

This has happened to me, too...I know when it happens to me, I'm usually really hungry, take a bite that is too big, and chew fast...sometimes, I'm in an animated conversation, and not paying attention. Sometimes, I take bites too close together...I can usually wait mine out, and that's what I do. I call it the golfball. Even my DD knows the "golfball" look!

Keep at it, we'll all help each other learn the hard stuff!

Cindy

My lunch breaks at work are only 30 minutes so after I warm up what I have to eat and finally sit down I have about 25 minutes to eat. I have most of my "episodes" at work on my lunch break.

Ah - do you see the problem? You are mentally in a hurry, even if you don't mean to be physcially.

Can you keep a little snacky thing at your desk to help keep from being overly hungry when those precious 25 minutes arrive? That might help, too.

:welldone2:

Okay Donali it worked! I had a little snack of these yougurt things my sister bought. They were quite yummy. Before I ate lunch I drank some hot tea. Then about an hour later I had my lunch. MUCH, Much better. Thanks for the advice. Thanks CIndy ANd Mary. I appreciate ya'll helping me.

I too have this exact thing happen. I agree with Mousecrazy too. I know that I'm hungry and I can hardly stand to take the nibbles that I should.

I'm also tired of eating cold food : )

I've been thinking about this question and the whole "first bite" thing.

I know that if I try to eat when I am H-U-N-G-R-Y the first bite is going to try to kill me. Having lost a lot of interest in food and eating, it is not uncommon for me to wait to eat until I have this gnawing hunger.

The thing is, I know that when I get this hungry, and try to eat the smallest bite I can, I will get stuck. I have to wonder how much of this is because other people have gotten too hungry too.

I haven't tried to have a hot beverage before eating, but that's basically because I'm already too hungry, and the idea of waiting for the Water to boil and the tea to steep... yeah, don't wanna wait that long.

So, one thing I try to be very mindful of is to not let myself get too hungry. How weird is that? Talk about a paradym shift! So I try to keep small Snacks in my backpack, typically some nuts or trail mix, since those seem to work the best to keep me away from the junk food machines.

I am glad to hear that other people have this problem too. Dee and I share a doc; I was worried that he did something wrong! Warm drinks do not always help me. Taking one bite and then waiting and another bite and waiting THEN eating the rest usually works though.

Dr. Speigel, in Houston, told me to take a small bite, chew like crazy and then chew some more, swallow. Wait at least 2 minutes and do it again. After that food will go down. I tried the hot tea thing, followed by his instructions and it worked. I am a teacher with less than 30 minutes for lunch so I have to start with this pre-meal ritual before lunch and then I am ok during lunch.

i get these horrible hiccups everytime i eat. And it is always with the first two bites. My bf calles them Teradactial mateing calls. They are loud obnoxious and embarrassing. I have tried the hot drink thing and I have tried taking small bites..to no avail...I just have found that time is the only cure for me. I have to wait it out. When I am at work and I am upstairs out of public view it is not so bad ...just painful, but If i am on the sales floor it is humiliating. These horrible hiccups come back after my 5th or 6th bite.. my doc said that is probably an indication of being full. So i just stop eating. When I am doing home health care its not so bad; it just makes the old lady i work for giggle.

Tina.... I get those HICCUPS too!!! How EMBARASSING!! It is horrible. Especially if we are in a restaurant. Will this always be this way! Between the first bite issue, which I have also and the hiccuping!!! There is absolutely NO JOY IN EATING ANYMORE. The idea of this makes me pretty sad!!!!!!!!!!!