Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gall Bladder Surgery Today

I arrived at the hospital at 6:30 this morning and was in surgery at 7:30. I woke up in recovery at 9:00 and was heading for the exit by 10:30. I came home and slept most of the day. The pain is minimal. The worst of it is in the area of the incision I assume was where the organ exited my body. I'm pretty swollen and had to take off my rings that are usually pretty loose. I'm beginning to get a little bit of that dreaded shoulder pain that we all know so well but other than that, I feel remarkably well. When I got up this morning I weighed 173 lbs. Tonight the scale said 180. Darn IV Fluid weighs a ton!

LOL we almost weigh exactly the same and i would have been upset to see 180 pounds on scale! Just relax and lay around the next few days and take your pain meds when needed and you will be good as gold by this time next week. I had my gall bladder out in 2001 and sounds similar to your experience.smile.png

You're right, Allison. I did NOT like seeing that 8 in the middle! I should know better and just stay off the scale but I really don't see that happening! I'm feeling so much better today. Still have some pain but I have every intention of being at my desk first thing Monday morning! How long I stay is yet to be determined!!

Hey Cindy I'm glad to see your post and that you are doing so well. My surgery is scheduled for Monday the 5 th of March. I've been banded for 2 years now and always read that a bandster who loses a lot of weight in a short amount of time..the ol' gallbladder goes south. Mine did and I've been empty of fill for about a month now and I can eat like a "pig". The good thing is my surgeon said I could get a fill afterwards. Did they remove your fill for surgery? Margie

No, he left my fill alone. My lap band doctor did my surgery. He also did my Tummy Tuck and colonoscopy. He's never unfilled me for any of it. I never heard that about weight loss killing the gall bladder. I'll have to ask him when I go for my follow up next week. I had it removed because the ultra sound showed stones but he did tell my friend that took me to the hospital that the organ was "bad". I didn't see him after the surgery as he was in another one when I was discharged so I'll get the details Thursday when I see him.

Good luck with yours. It really isn't that bad.

Glad you are feeling so good! I had mine out on the 13th and it was horrible! I know what you mean about the iv fluid! I gained 4 pounds lol...It took me about a week to feel somewhat normal again

Actually the NP that does my fills thought I had a slip so she unfilled me and had me get an upper GI. It is funny because the radiologist asked me how much I was throwing up etc. I told her that I wasn't. Turns out my band is fine, Dr. Weaver [ my surgeon ] sent me to get an ultra sound on the gallbladder. What was happening...I thought I had reflux because I could only eat 3 or 4 bites and I would have terrible back pain. The only thing I could eat without pain was store bought Peanut Butter crackers and cup of Soup. Shocked the surgeon because peanut butter is high in fat and she told me that agrivates the organ. Go figure...anyway it turns out I have gallstones.

The info I got about the quick weight loss/gallbladder I found in this forum. I'm on here just about every night learning all I can about the band. That is why I didn't expect restriction the first fill. It took me about 4 or so fills. Lost a ton of weight around 130 lbs., around 18 months. Got greedy, had to have some removed yadda, yadda, yadda. Back and forth.

So now they want me to have the surgery first before I get filled again. Anyway I'm probably rambling...I want you to know Cindy I look through the forum and anytime I see your sign I read what you have to say. Take care

It's been quite painful to lay flat since my surgery so I've been doing all of my sleeping in the recliner since Friday. Last night I actually slept in my bed! I'm still bloated like crazy and the scale still says 179 but I think I'm headed in the right direction. Here's hoping I can make it through 10 hours of work tomorrow!

Glad to see your post on here althought I wish for you that you would have had something a little more enjoyable to post about. I am glad that you are doing ok with your surgery. I am with you and the other poster on here. I have gotten my weight down to the low 170's. This morning is was 170.5, so it would tear my nerves up to see an 8 as that middle number. But you know it is only temporary so keep your chin up. That Fluid will dissapear quickly.Drink lots of water! Hope you do ok at work tomorrow.

Hi Cindy, I hope ypu're feeling better. My DIL (42) went in last month for the same surgery and during testing, they

discovered she was 2 weeks pregnant! She has mixed feelings, they were getting ready for retirement and now it's

back to diapers and PTA. We're delighted. but they have mixed feelings.

Now that I'm skinny again, I have all kinds of energy and have started rebuilding our house so I haven't been on much.

Maybe this summer when it gets hot.

Best of everything to you, your common sense helps keep us above Water.< /em>

It's been quite painful to lay flat since my surgery so I've been doing all of my sleeping in the recliner since Friday. Last night I actually slept in my bed! I'm still bloated like crazy and the scale still says 179 but I think I'm headed in the right direction. Here's hoping I can make it through 10 hours of work tomorrow!

You should take off work a couple days this week - if you work at a place with 50 or more employees within a 75 mile radius and you have been there 12 months/1250 hours then you are entitled to leave for this surgery - albeit unpaid unless you have the paid time off or short term disability to cover it. Sounds like you are rushing to get back to work and if you are not ready you may have options.

Hey, Corrigan. Long time no see! Congrats on the new grand baby. Now that you're so skinny and energetic maybe you can start a Grandpa Daycare! wink.png

Allison, they've already told me to take as much time as I need. My boss said he doesn't expect to see me tomorrow morning and my co-workers are expecting to cover my appointments. But I'm a tough old bird and pretty resilient. I will be there at 7:30...I may not stay all day but I'll show up!

I'm happy you're doing well! I was up real fast after I had mine removed, and from the sounds of it, it seems like you will be too. :) I had the shoulder pain pretty bad on this one! It was even worse than after the band.

The shoulder pain has been minimal and its on the right side this time. TMI time----once I had a bowel movement yesterday and started passing gas I seemed to start feeling better very quickly. It's 6:30 am and I'm up and moving pretty well. I just have a little bit of tenderness in the one incision. I'm going to work and see no reason why I won't be able to make it through the day. Just hope my coworkers and customers don't notice all the farting! unsure.png