Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am getting disheartened. I had my surgery on 12/09/2011 and to date I had only lost 8 pounds from my pre-op diet. I also had my first fill and am now at 6 cc on a 10 cc band but I am still able to eat alot before I feel any restrictions and am not losing any weight. I am getting worried because the $16000 is a huge financial strain on me and I recently lost my job too. I am worried that this band won't work for me. I got it from Slimband and they aren't really helpful. They are nice when I call but I have yet to speak to a dieticitan. Is this normal? Is there any tips you can give me that will kick start my weight loss. I am just tired of all the looks i get from people for being over weight and I am just losing all hope I had.

Don't be so down on yourself, I had surgery on 12/16/11 and I've only lost 11 lbs since surgery. I had my 2nd fill this past Wednesday and I"m hoping to feel some kind of restriction. My doc said he wasn't worried b/c i haven't gained anything and that most ppl don't feel restriction until their 3rd fill....I too was getting a little discouraged b/c i feel that I should have lost more than 11 lbs by now, but every one is different. May I ask what was your starting weight?

Oh, Serenity....I'm with Slimband too. And while I"m fairly happy with the band, I usually wish I'd had it done somewhere else. I have NEVER spoken with a dietician. Wouldn't even know how to reach one. I'm pretty unhappy with their customer service and practices (can you believe NO ONE called me after my surgery to even see if I was alive?).

But maybe if you call the 1-800 number and tell them you need to speak to one you'll be able to get some advice about what you need to be eating. PM me if you want to talk about this stuff!

Wow, I can't believe you already have 6 cc's. Ok, you're only a little over 2 months into this process so don't get too worried. Concentrate on eating Protein first in small slow bites. A meal should take you 20-30 minutes to eat. When food passes through the top part of your stomach where your band is, your body produces a hormone which sends your brain the message that you've eaten. Make sure you're not drinking 1/2 hour before or 1 hour after your meal. Keep your bad carbs to a minimum...stuff like bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes (hard to eat anyway w/the band) and don't drink your calories. Be patient...you'll get there.

i freaked out when i started mushies and soft foods and started gaining weight. you are totally normal. i do hope your doctors office gave you a list of foods for the various stages.if not feel free to PM me and i can give you some suggestions. i am 9 months out and went from a size 18/20 to a 12/14. but that was after 5 fills and 2 emergency unfills. it takes time to get really adjusted to the band, but it will happen. just be patient and follow your docotors plan. i know thats easier said than done, but i've been where you are.

jennifer

I am getting disheartened. I had my surgery on 12/09/2011 and to date I had only lost 8 pounds from my pre-op diet. I also had my first fill and am now at 6 cc on a 10 cc band but I am still able to eat alot before I feel any restrictions and am not losing any weight. I am getting worried because the $16000 is a huge financial strain on me and I recently lost my job too. I am worried that this band won't work for me. I got it from Slimband and they aren't really helpful. They are nice when I call but I have yet to speak to a dieticitan. Is this normal? Is there any tips you can give me that will kick start my weight loss. I am just tired of all the looks i get from people for being over weight and I am just losing all hope I had.

OMG...I can't believe that the doctor and hospital did not have you meet with one before your banding. I had to meet with the dietitician prior to being approved for the surgery.

Shelly64 has shared some good advice, and is similar to what my doctor's office has told me. The day of my pre-op appointment, I had to attend a 2 hour nutrition education class. Points which were stressed included eating your 3 oz of Protein first, limit carbs to Fiber choices, and nothing to drink until 1 hour after you finish eating. Every bite should be chewed 20 times, and a meal should take at least 20 minutes to complete. If you don't get enough Protein nutrition from your food, suppliment with Protein shakes. Protein is priority one.

There are also some bariatric nutrition web sites, however I have found that they mostly are for the by-pass procedure patients, and they have different nutrition requirements.

I am not an expert in the field, I'm just sharing some of the information I was taught in the class I attended at the hospital this week.

Don't get discouraged...stay focused! Good luck!

You dont mention what you are doing at the moment like food intake and exercise ... It might well be u would find it easier to follow something like weight watchers, there is a whole thread on here for people doing WW and have a band, other's use myfitnesspal web site, or like me just follow a 1000 calories a day rule ( high Protein /low fat/low carb ) . If u arent getting nutritional support from your surgeons office then find it somewhere else. Are u sure you have the amount of fill u say you have ? it seems a lot for someone who has been banded as short a time as u have...

Good luck with it, it must feel like u are doing this alone with the little support your surgery is giving you :(

My starting weight was 214 and I am now at 206. During my surgery they filled my band with 5 cc's. The nurse told me it was 6 cc but it was 5 cc. when i went in for my first fill they told me it was 5 and not 6 but then gave me one more cc so now i am at 6. Right now I am pretty much eating the same foods i ate before in the same amounts. my Water intake has decreased because of the whole not eating 15 minutes before a meal and 1 hour after. I am good with that rule. I also try to eat slowly which is hard for me as i am a fast eater and am trying to eat Proteins first. I am an emotional eater and right now have a lot of emotional baggage but what i was told before i got the band was that when adjusted properly the band should be able to stop me from over eating or eating when i am not hungry. Which it isn't doing. The only good thing so far is that i am not gaining even though i am eating almost like before. I feel a bit of a restriction which is why i said almost but not much. I haven't started working out yet. I hate exercising,, but was thinking about taking up squash and water aerobics as they look fun. i just really want to start losing and its so hard.

After reading this forum I realized that surgeons were calling in people at a post operation check up. Nobody from slimband called to check up to see if i was alive either. It's like the band is in, they have their money now get lost. I mean logically after any type of surgery there is a post op check up, but none with slimband

After reading this forum I realized that surgeons were calling in people at a post operation check up. Nobody from slimband called to check up to see if i was alive either. It's like the band is in, they have their money now get lost. I mean logically after any type of surgery there is a post op check up, but none with slimband

Unfortunately I feel this way, and this is what happened to me. The best people there are the fill nurses. They are really nice and answer any questions you have. I have never spoken with a dietician or psychologist though, and they say they have them on staff. I guess they are options you have to request (but should be included in the price).

I am new to this site. However, I was Bandid on 9/8/12. I have lost 20lbs since band placement. I gained a few pounds in the begining only to loss them in 3month out. I have had 4fills and I am full. I have trouble swallowing certain foods,breads are out. I cant eat much at a time. I refer to my eatting like a cat now.It is hard to get use too.I am glad to see the weight loss but I also get discouraged.I would of thought after 5months I would of loss more.The whole procedure is invassive and seems drastic. However I couldnt seem to loss it on my own. Starting wiegh was 238 and weight today is 218.I have to have faith and I am glad I joined this supportive site. I was down to 214 but the delivery of girlscout Cookies that didnt bother me to eat or the valentine candy I found sweeties I can tolerate well.Not a good food choice. I cant tolerate meat or poultry but I can eat fish.I need some suggestions of good protien intake.does anyone else have sore throat issues?The shoulder pain is their has improved with time but hurts like heck if I swallow to much food and eat to quickly. I am getting better at eatting slow. I have not started excersing yet. Hang in their it will get better.

Edited by magicalmargaret

I did not lose very fast at first...i was very sad. I thought this was just one more on my long list of weight loss failures... But... I have lost 175 lbs...For me, I had to get a fill every month for a year before I got to a point where i only had to go every 6 mo or so. Thats when i started losing faster than the first year.. took about 3 yrs... I had to keep in mind that it would probably take that long, as that is what i had heard and read before i had surgery

Wow justplay, you are a life saver, I got my band nearly 8 mths ago, at first I lost nearly 14lbs and have put it all back plus some. I have lupus and sjergens syndrome and have been very sick with it, I also have stopped smoking. I have had 3 fills since August about 4 or 5. I have some restriction but not much. Your post had given me hope because I was getting depressed. I live in Ireland and got my band done in Belgium. I am due to get my next fill Thursday wk. I felt such a failure, but now as I said you have given me hope.

Many thanks Jackie

OKAY, FIRST OFF, YOU HAVE ONLY BEEN BANDED 3 MONTHS, YOU HAVE ONLY HAD ONE FILL? IF THIS IS CORRECT, YOU SHOULD KNOW, THAT MOST PEOPLE DO NOT FEEL ANY RESTRICTION UNTIL THE 4TH OR 5TH FILL......I COULD TELL WITH MY 4TH FILL....ARE YOU FOLLOWING THE RULES? EATING SLOW, EATING Protein FIRST, CARBS SECOND? DO YOU DRINK ENOUGH liquid? ARE YOU EXERCISING? YOU CAN MAKE THIS WORK!!!!!! YOU JUST HAVE TO FOLLOW THE RULES...DON'T DRINK WHILE EATING IS THE MAIN RULE TO KEEP....FOREVER...I HAVE BEEN BANDED FOR ALMOST 5 YEARS AND I STILL DO NOT DRINK WITH MY MEALS....HANG IN THERE SWEETIE, YOU HAVE ONLY BEGUN.....JUST STICK TO THE RULES....GOD BLESS YOU....

I was banded on 8/26/11 and my starting weight was almost the same, I was 215 pounds. I too paid out of pocket, over $18,000 so you know I wanted to see some results. I felt the same way until I got my 3rd fill. I'm surprised that you got 5cc's during surgery. I only have a total of 5.5 cc's after 3 fills. But I didn't have any real restriction until I got my third fill. I too was unhappy with my weight loss at first. But after the last fill that's when I started seeing some results. I'm now at 180 pounds and to tell the truth that's with no exercise. I know I would have lost a lot more by now if I were exercising, which I hopefully will start doing soon. For now I'm somewhat satisfied but I do want to lose another 20-25 pounds. I am now a size 10, which I haven't worn since I has my last child 23 years ago. But I know it's a journey so I'm being patient. You'll be ok and the weight will come off.