Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cigna Approved Surgery!

I just got my approval from Cigna on my first try! I am so excited, I can't wait to meet with the surgeon and set the date.

Yay for you!!!! fruitsex.gif

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

weight.png

I just got my approval from Cigna on my first try! I am so excited, I can't wait to meet with the surgeon and set the date.

Insurance

I am so happy for you. I also have cigna i heard they were hard to get approval from. How long did it take to get approval i heard you have to go through 6 mo. Nutrition...is that corect?

Yes, I had to do the 6 month supervised diet, but it really did go by quick. They actually are not hard to get approval from if you have everything they require. I was very nervous that I would get denied. I was just at a 35BMI and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I thought because I was on a lower side it would be tougher for me.

I read all of their requirements over and over. I made sure I had fulfilled them all prior to submission. I was required to be at least 35BMI with 1 co-morbidity (check), 6 month supervised diet (check), psych. Analysis (check), and have a letter from a doctor other than the lap band doctor stating I was a candidate for the surgery (check). The letter took me the longest to get as I waited till the last minute.

They submitted to my insurance on 12/13, and I got the approval call and letter from cigna yesterday stating that I was approved. I thought it was pretty quick with all the holidays to get the approval. Again, just make sure you have everything prior to submitting, they are quick to deny if you don't submit everything together, at least that is whAt I heard.

Good luck to you!

YIPEE

My appointment with the surgeon is scheduled for January 11th. I am so excited and hope I can schedule the surgery date at that time!

Awesome!!! Congrats! I have been fully completed with everything for two weeks now. I am only waiting for them to submit me. Apparently the Psych took an extreme amount of time completing my evaulation paperwork...Ugghhh...Surgery date was 2/14 but they moved me up to 2/7...Let's just hope my approval comes thru on the first try :(...But everything looks like it is working in your favor. Congrats my dear!

CIGNA HELP PLEASE......Thanks for the info earlier but i do have just a few more questons if you have the time....well i called the Dr. Office explained im rt at 35bmi and do have high blood pleasure. So they are good with that im worried about the 6 mos. Dieting if i fall under the 35 bmi will i know longer quailify for lapband? And what r they looking for besides that we understand our food choices. Just am worried they will deny me i have dieted for over 30 years and know the lapband would work for me. Please help Cigna lapbanders

Thaks so much

CIGNA HELP PLEASE......Thanks for the info earlier but i do have just a few more questons if you have the time....well i called the Dr. Office explained im rt at 35bmi and do have high blood pleasure. So they are good with that im worried about the 6 mos. Dieting if i fall under the 35 bmi will i know longer quailify for lapband? And what r they looking for besides that we understand our food choices. Just am worried they will deny me i have dieted for over 30 years and know the lapband would work for me. Please help Cigna lapbanders

Thaks so much

They go by your initial weigh-in prior to the diet. I was worried about that to. They do tell you "unofficially" to try not to lose to much weight during that 6 months. I fell just below 35BMI on my final weigh in but was approved.

The 6 months supervised diet was really nothing. I received a call monthly asking me how I was doing on my diet, did I make any changes to the foods I was eating, was I excersing, did I remember to chew my food slowly, etc. I never actually saw a dietician. They would also asked me what I weighed every month.

I would love to tell you not to worry, but that is all I did till I received my approval. Again, just make sure you have all your ducks in a row prior to submitting!

Good luck to you!

The CIGNA plan I'm on doesn't cover any type of weight loss or weight management programs or services. So unless I can manage a self-pay, this option is not available to me. Sad...I was set on getting banded, and was starting the local research to see where, when, who, etc. :/

Janders, do you mean they don't cover the dietition? Cuz that is normal. Most don't. Mine did not ...so I had to self pay for those appointments but it really wasn't too bad. I mean, I work at a gas station and I was able to swing it. But everything else was covered so it worked out okay!

The CIGNA policy I am on excludes anything related to weight loss surgery and weight loss management.

I was afraid you were going to say that... :( I'm sorry hun that sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!