Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I haven't been on here for awhile. I have been trying to focus on trying to change my life now so I will be ready in February for the surgery. I told myself I would be back on after I see the surgeon on Thursday, but here I am. I only had to do pre-op tests. A swallow study and a sleep study. I got the swallow study done the week of my consult but just had my sleep study last night. I actually just went away for the weekend with my mother and sister, and they were saying that I don't snore at all and was curious why I was even having one done. They even joked and said that I can use the study as a night away from my kids. So I arrived at the hospital last night, and the technician was looking over my records and paperwork, and said the same thing as my mother and sister. That everything seems to be pointing towards normal sleep. She told me she would see me in the morning. Well, at 2 a.m. she came in, and told me she has to put the mask on me. :( She said I was experiencing breathing problems and my O2 levels dropped. I was kinda bummed. No I was devasted. She said even mild apeana requires them to put the mask on for the 2nd half of the study, so I don't have to come in and do it again. I am hoping that it is just mild, and that weight loss will allevate the problem. I defintelky dont want to wear the mask everynight. My children will be terrified. When I was leaving she said she is going to red flag my test to be read today, so the surgeon can have the results on Thursday. I already have an appointment with the Pulmonolgist at the end of December. If I need the machine I have to be on it for a month before I can have surgery. Hopefully I can still get a tentative date, and have eveerything sent to my insurance company for approval.

Sorry to rant...but i just need to get out my sadness. It doesnt help that I am at work right now, and a student of mine died over the weekend. Just not a good day.

Plus....all I can smell in the plastic from the O2. :)

As far as I know, sleep studies are usually standard before getting surgery. I think it has something to do with for when they put you to sleep during surgery. They want to make sure you will be okay. You may have to wear the face mask during surgery. LOTS of people have sleep anea. I was shocked to hear that I didn't actually. My twin sister does. Anyways, it will be okay. You are with many other people in this. Good luck! Oh and by the way, you are lucky they put the mask on you that same night. Most of the time they make you come back if you have sleep apnea and you have to stay a whole other night with the mask on.

I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea but based on the sleep study I only had my episode when I was sleeping on my back. The doctor mentioned that I could try getting a cpap or even a device to help me stay off my back at night but I opted for neither since I prefer to sleep on my stomach but couldn't really do it during the sleep test because of the way that they had me hooked up.

If you aren't showing the signs of severe sleep apnea I wouldn't be that worried. Most likely you'll be able to hold off on having to treated until after the surgery and some weight loss. I think the most important thing is for the doctors to know if you have apnea so they can treat you correctly during surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about the death of your student, that must be a difficult thing you and their classmates to have to deal with especially at this time of year

Michelle

The sleep study is to determine if you have sleep apnea. Most overweight people have it. Once you lose the weight apnea will go away for most people. There is surgery for it but I highly recommend against it.

Well I know why it is done, and the purpose, I am just upset that I have it.

I wouldn't let it get you down. I think it's just one of those things that everyone has in small doses but for the most part they aren't bothered by it. On the plus side if you have mild apnea it will be one more reason for your insurance to approve you. Also if it is not severe enough to prevent surgery, I would ask your sleep doctor if you can wait until after you have lost some weight after the surgery and be retested before having to use a cpap

Sometimes they do what they have to, just to Doccument it on paper for the Dr...

Sometimes it's a fact.....

I had flunked a Test, and the Dr. said the Hell with her ! I'm the Surgeon, and I say you need Surgery.

It was done ! So don't let it get you down, even if it is slight ! Then chances with weight Loss it will go away.

Also,,, I think I would listen to Mom on this one... Just a thought.

I agree ... not a big deal, especially since yours is so mild. You will likely not need your cpap after losing 20-30 lbs. Please don't let this be one more thing you worry about, and don't be sad because for you ... it's temporary.

I got my first cpap in 2004 and it was a God send. I was falling asleep behind the wheel of my car and would get off the freeway to nap before finally getting to work. It was awful. My cpap changed all that. Also, in 2004 my kids were much younger and were not the least bit terrified. They were fascinated and fought over who got to use it as they giggled and played. I explained what it was used for and they were fine with it. They will follow your lead, make it fun and funny and they won't be terrified. I am, unfortunately, still (trying to) using a cpap, but I think it has more to do with my asthma than anything else. I am going to see a pulmonary doctor in December.

So sorry to hear about your student. My thoughts and prayers to you and their family.

All the best to you on your journey. Your cpap (should you actually have to get one) will be collecting dust in a cabinet somewhere in no time!

~Fran

Booo!! I was very reluctant to get my sleep study, because it felt like one more thing they were trying to bill to insurance. I too have never really snored and have no sleep problems other than being a fatigued person, but I've been that my whole life, even before I was obese. I went though, just in case, and my biggest fear was them telling me something was actually wrong. Luckily I got the clear, but I was anxious the night before and couldn't even sleep.

I'm sorry that you didn't get the clear you were hoping for. Hopefully the surgery will clear up the problem and it isn't so severe you'll need intervention before then *fingers crossed*

I was not required to have a sleep study or any other pre-op testing for lapband surgery. I was self-pay, so that explains quite a bit. I did have a sleep study done in 2006 because I had chronic fatigue and I snored like a lumberjack. The study showed I did not have apnea, so you don't always have to snore to have apnea and not all people who snore have it. I am very happy to say I no longer snore after the weightloss sleep.gif